Wont turn at speed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wont turn at speed

Is it a common thing that when loaded (9 people) in a 2007 21i and doing 35mph, that the boat wont turn.
    Is it related to where the weight is located?
    It happened twice yesterday on the river. First time going for a slalom and the wife had to back off because she was about to drive up the bank. This was a left hand corner.
    Second time was driving back to the boat ramp and trying to turn a left hand bend and all the boat wanted to do was go straight. I had to back off also and try again.
    I had steering up to about 30mph, but anything over really nothing.
    Is it only related to trying to turn left.
    Is it rudder related?
    Every Day POETS day - Piss Off Early, Today we Ski

That doesn't sound right, I would look at the rudder while on the trailer to see if your getting full range of motion, and also try to turn the steering wheel while someone is pulling on the rudder to simulate the water pressure at speed. Your rudder bearing might be going.

It could also be a bent tracking fin that wants to make the boat turn right when your going over 30mph so your left steering input is trying to counter the right turn of the bent tracking fin.
    2009 RZ2, PCM 343, MLA Surf Ballast, Premium Sound.
    2013 Toyota Sequoia 4WD W/Timbren SES

Comment

When we have four in the boat there appears to be no turning issue, not that I have noticed anyway.
      To me it seems more weight related, that's all.
      Every Day POETS day - Piss Off Early, Today we Ski

Comment

It sounds like chine lock but I have never experienced it and have only heard about it.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
        Mods: MLA BIG Ballast System (1800+ Custom sacs, 2 500 W705 sacs under bow), Duffy Surf Flap Mod, Trimmed Swim Deck, Top-Mount Starter

Comment

[QUOTE=Stingreye;721555]It sounds like chine lock but I have never experienced it and have only heard about it.

x2 - I had a 2005 22i and it did the same thing "the prop would start cavitating" when we had ppl + ballast in the boat, this was with the stock prop. I changed the prop to an ACME 911 and all was good.

Comment

I had this issue with my 22ve when I was towing a slalom skier over 30mph. Pretty scary. Nick weinacker (think that's how you spell his name) a tige sponsored wakeboarder explained it to me because my dealer had no clue. That this can happen with the taps plate down on 1. The quick fix is to taps up before you turn to release the chine. Once I started doing this the boat would handle like normal..

Comment

Glad you guys figured it out, because I've never had that issue with my boat. Actually if I turn hard with my boat loaded and going 35 mph I would probably loose several passengers.

Comment

Possible steering cable issue/helm drive gear due to Weight, weight, WEIGHT!!! Pretty easy to check: have someone hold the rudder while the boats on the trailer and see if you can turn the wheel. If you're able to turn the wheel without the rudder moving, replace both the steering cable AND the helm unit unless you find something at the pivot point of the steering cable or the rudder arm isn't locked down on the rudder. The reason I stress replacing the helm too relates to the internal gears in the helm possibly being worn as well. Keep us posted. Also, be sure to check EVERY position of the wheel this way, there may only be one or two teeth missing inside the helm gear!!!
                Last edited by boatwakes; 03-05-2014, 05:35 AM.
                Fixing everyone elses boat just so I can use mine...

Comment

Working...
                X