21i Set Up for Wake Surfing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

21i Set Up for Wake Surfing

Tried this weekend the new set up for wakesurfing. I had a 155cmx66cmx26cm (270kg) sac across the floor underneath the rear seat, and another 110cmx41cmx41cm (185kg) running 90 degrees to this along the floor on the passenger side next to the engine box, but pushed hard up against the rear sac.
    It was only my wife and two kids in the boat, and we tried at around 11.5mph with the TAPS at 5.
    The board I am using id a Byerly Volt 4"10 and I just don't feel I have a enough push from the wave. I can go wireless for a brief period of around 2-3 seconds, but I then stall and have to rely on the rope again.
    Have I enough weight or do I need more?? We tried slightly higher speed of 11.8 and the TAPS at 6 but this made it worse.
    Every Day POETS day - Piss Off Early, Today we Ski

I would slow down to 10.5 and try. You will probably need to find a new TAPS setting. Are you a beginner? Is this a new board for you?
    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

OK Thanks. Yes, we are beginners and it is a new board.
      The recommendations were the 2014 Byerly Volt or a Ronix Cortez or Marshmellow. I would have thought that 4"10 would be long enough and still short enough to become slick. I have left the four fins in, will it make it better to go back to one fin??

Comment

Maybe try switching the bags around? I would try the heavy one on the side and the lighter across the back. The volt is a great board to learn on, I would keep the 4 fins on or maybe two large ones on the sides. You will also have to learn to pump a little when you feel yourself slipping back towards the whitewash. Pumping involves lightly "jumping" towards the top of the wave and riding down on your toeside edge repeatedly to give yourself speed and stay in the pocket. Give it some time and you will be there!

Comment

Can you post a pic of you surfing? The surfers stance has a lot to do with staying in the pocket. Cant tell you a thing about how the volt rides, sorry.
          Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Id agree switching the bags for a try out and slowing down just a touch. Maybe even higher taps. If on a lake, give the boat a slight turn to which ever side you are surfing on. I dont know big the locker is on an 07 but the further back you can get then seat sac the better off you will be. It takes time to get it figured out and to get the boat figured out. You may find you need a little more weight or just different placement. Get a few friends to go as well, they move a lot easier than sacs do far as diff weighting combinations. Post some pics up if you can the guys on here can tell you a lot with a pic. From wave to your stance.

Comment

Cheers for the input. OK, I will slow the boat down and change the bags around. I will also get some photos of the wave and my attempt at wake surfing. Does surfing in a river make any difference. We were trying against the flow last time, so if I was doing 11.5mph and the river is at say 2mph, will that equate to 13.5mph??

Comment

Do you have Perfect Pass or Tigé Speedset? If you have perfect pass is it a Stargazer with GPS or does it use the paddle wheel to determine boat speed?
                Mike Allen, Tigé owner since 1997

Comment

We have Tige SpeedSet. It is a paddle wheel based system. I just wondered if it were better to drive against the flow of the river or with the river. What speed changes would you make??

Comment

With a paddle wheel used for determining the speed you should not have to make any speed adjustments. It should factor in the speed going with or against the current. I'm not sure if it makes a difference riding with or against the current.
                    Mike Allen, Tigé owner since 1997

Comment

When I still had my 07 21i we plumbed in 400s in the front on each side and an 800 in the rear locker then we put a 750 in the walk through and depending on which side we wer surfing we would stack 2 400 on that side and the wave was really awesome super long pocket and really smooth as well only prob we had was you couldn't walk anywhere and we had to add half a qt of oil to keep the alarm from going off while surfing because of the angle of the boat was deep
                      surf till u die.

Comment

So are you saying that you had 2350 lbs (1000 kg, 1000 litres) of internal ballast.

Comment

1600 plumbed in the boat and the rest of them wer the portable bags and pumps
                          surf till u die.

Comment

Hey 18C, can you please post photos of the set-up. Even if you want to pm me or send to lalijaca@bigpond.com
                            As you may not be aware, I am located in Australia, so there is limited ways of finding such info out. Cheers.

Comment

Il try n find some pics later this week for ya
                              surf till u die.

Comment

Working...
                              X