04 22i losing power with each run.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

04 22i losing power with each run.

2 times ago, engine was very hard to start, but ran OK after the initial start. It would only go to 3300 RPM though and no more. Prior to that, I would easily see 4K if I'd wanted to. Top speed was maybe 30 MPH instead of 43 I used to get.

Last time out, boat would only go to 2700 RPM and no more. It also had a hard time at idle. At the very end of the day on the way back to the ramp, engine started to want to "catch" did some sputtering and finally did - RPMs jumped to the 3300 RPM "limit."

One other odd thing is the batt gauge read near 9 although both batteries were fully charged just before we went out. At the end of the day, the gauge read 13 (usual) We only ran the boat for a total of maybe 45 minutes worth of riding/cruising.

I'd just put fresh gas in before the run.

Please help - the way things are going, the boat will be useless. There was definitely not enough power to pull me up on a stick.

Mercruiser 350 5.7l 335HP FI engine

Oh, and unloaded revving, the engine was amazingly, immediately throttle responsive up to hi 4K - low 5K RPM

Comment

When an engine will rev normally on the trailer or in neutral (i.e. no load) but not in the water and turning the prop (loaded), that's a classic indication of fuel delivery problems. It takes almost no fuel flow to redline an unloaded engine. Load it up, though, and fuel requirements go up fast. I would start by checking the basics of the fuel system... the inline filter, the fuel/water separating filter, the fuel hoses, etc. Then start looking at the fuel pump(s).

Report back!

Comment

Thanks for the validating info. I figured it is gas based.

Now, the real issue is that I do not have any info on the locations of the fuel/water separator, inline filter, etc.... I can't find online diagrams of this engine.

Comment

Can you just follow the fuel line coming from the fuel tank? Logically, that will take you at least through the inline filter, and fuel/water separating filter, to the injector pump. Thereafter it might get complicated to follow things but that will give you access to the entire low pressure fuel system.

Comment

How often do you use the boat? Has it been sitting with old fuel? If it has sat for more than a few weeks with any amount of fuel, especially this time of year when weather temps are changing so much you may have water in fuel. Boat will run fine until under load and starts bogging down. If you have not changed anything in the fuel system or have not had problems before and the boat has sat... most likely its water. Before you go through all the manual labor involved with checking fuel line and tank vents ect. Buy the 12 dollar fuel/water sep filter and replace it. First siphon all the fuel out and treat with sea foam or HEET or something of the like upon refilling with good fuel. not sure on the way your boat is set up but to get to my tank would be a days work. If the filter has water in it when you change it you will see the milky look of the fuel when you dump it out. Juts put in in a clear jar or something you can see when you pour it out. If you see its milky be sure to get all the fuel out you can before you run it again. It may take a little while to clear out any left in the lines. So I usually buy two filters in case there is still some in the system. hope this helps

Comment

the fuel/ water sep looks just like an oil filter and on my 02 22i with the 350 its on the starboard side.

Comment

Working...
              X