My vapor locking fixed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My vapor locking fixed

So after last summer, lots of vapor locking, I started looking at all the different things to fix the problem. Then I got a copy of the Mercruiser service bulletin and disscussed with some of you on here last summer. Any ways figured I would post up my fix.

First tried running blower more and idle before stopping, No luck

Then tried a new siphon valve, no luck

Finally this winter added a fuel pump right back by the tank outlet. I didnt by the $300 fuel pump kit that Mercruiser offered. I just picked up a simple $50 low pressure pump that you can buy at any auto parts store. I unhooked hose from the tank and hooked it to the pump and added a small 8" piece of hose from the tank to the pump. That way if something ever happened I could hook it back up normally. In the end I havent had a single issue all season long. Plus changing fuel filter is lot easier since the new pump fills the filter up. So may not be the solution to eveyones problem but if its a true vapor locking issue, this was a very easy fix.

IMG_2219.jpg

post the pump and info on what you bought.. have a friend that has constant issues with his 99 supra and vapor locking.
    2011 Tigé RZ4
    www.re-viveupholstery.com

Comment

The fuel pump I picked up was just a cheap universal that I can get at Oreilly Auto, Advance Auto, and Auto Zone. I wanted something easy to get, most cheap universal fuel pumps last 3-5 years tops, or thats been my experiance with them on tractors and mowers. Plus I didnt want a lot of pressure, just a simple lift pump for the high pressure pump. So the one I got was:
      http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...0515&ppt=C0025

Then just a piece of fuel hose and some clamps. Then I ran wires to my ignition switch and ground. There wasnt alot back there to screw to, so my pump is zipped tied in place. So far the results great. Most of the newer boat models all have 2 pumps now.

Comment

Found 1 more pic of it.

IMG_2218.jpg

Comment

This is an excellent post! I did this exact same thing for my boat this past weekend, a 1999 2100i, and I rode all weekend without one issue. It is an easy fix that seems to of worked great.

Comment

Thanks! Good to hear it worked for you. Its not for every boat but when you've tried everything else and this fixes it $ well spent.

Comment

Thanks for the pos we had it happen one day out of ten at lake Powell this week. So I will follow your lead.
              Mike Allen, Tigé owner since 1997

Comment

1 outa 10 still better than I was having. But were still 100% no issues this year so Im very happy.

Comment

I bought and installed the vapor lock kit from Mercruiser. It is more expensive, as you noted, but last year at the Lake Mead Reunion I was talking about your solution to two boat mechanics. They both agreed that the safest way was to use the factory kit since it uses the factory wiring harness and takes advantage of the built in safety features needed for fuel delivery on boats. They explained how the fuel pump taps into sensors like the oil pressure to make sure the engine is turning while the pump pumping. I guess the danger could be a possible leak in the fuel line and with the key on without the engine running could fill the bilge with fuel continuously. Boatwakes was one of the mechanics. He could add more if he ever reads this?

Anyway, thanks for inspiring me to finally fix the problem. We didn't have any issues at Lake Powell this year and I tried to let it happen without using any of my old remedies.
                  Mike Allen, Tigé owner since 1997

Comment

Glad to hear it fixed your problem. Yes the factory kit is a lot nicer and safer. Course when I was trying to figure out what the issue was, it was hard to justify spending the $ on a chance that it would work or wouldnt work. If my pump dies I'll prob go back with the real kit. Plus the factory kit would be a longer life pump.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruger761 View Post
                      Glad to hear it fixed your problem. Yes the factory kit is a lot nicer and safer. Course when I was trying to figure out what the issue was, it was hard to justify spending the $ on a chance that it would work or wouldnt work. If my pump dies I'll prob go back with the real kit. Plus the factory kit would be a longer life pump.
                      I think I’m battling vapor lock in my 21V. Read your post and thinking about doing your quick fix until I can scrape enough to buy the kit. Did y. Ever have any problems with the setup?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Goofyr44 View Post
                        I think I’m battling vapor lock in my 21V. Read your post and thinking about doing your quick fix until I can scrape enough to buy the kit. Did y. Ever have any problems with the setup?

After years with the one pump it did die, but popped a new one in and kept working with no vapor lock. The day on the water it died, I just bypassed it since I never cut the original fuel hose and we stayed on the water.

Comment

Quick question. You said you wired to your ignition. Basically the pump was only running when you cranked the boat or was it running all the time? Was considering wiring it to a switch and only using it upon starting the boat

Comment

I wired it to the ignition like the factory pump.

with a fuse in place as well.

Comment

My vapor locking fixed

Originally posted by Ruger761 View Post
                              I wired it to the ignition like the factory pump.

with a fuse in place as well.
                              Ok so it was running all the tine just the like the main. Correct?
                              Could you have spliced j to the main wiring?

Comment

Working...
                              X