WINTERIZING

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WINTERIZING

I HAVE A 99 21i.WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TO WINTERIZE THIS YEAR AND MODEL BOAT?MUCH APPRECIATED!

Closed cooling system?
    Ain't no 1/2 steppin'

Comment

And does it have a heater or shower?
      Ain't no 1/2 steppin'

Comment

NOT SURE.NO HEATER OR SHOWER

Comment

I have the 6.0 Marine Power in mine. Its closed cooling system because of the heat exchanger it has. Mine is mounted on the top and starboard side of the motor. 3" tube with a bundle of coils in it. If you can be more specific, the guys can lead you to what you need to know
          Ain't no 1/2 steppin'

Comment

THATS WHAT SUCKS.I DONT KNOW CRAP ABOUT MY OWN BOAT.IM AFRAID TO ASK QUESTIONS CAUSE I CANT ANSWER THE QUESTIONS YOU ASK ME TO BE ABLE TO ANSWER MY QUESTIONS.GOING OUTSIDE TO GET ANSWERS I HOPE.

Comment

Originally posted by ST.TIGE View Post
              THATS WHAT SUCKS.I DONT KNOW CRAP ABOUT MY OWN BOAT.IM AFRAID TO ASK QUESTIONS CAUSE I CANT ANSWER THE QUESTIONS YOU ASK ME TO BE ABLE TO ANSWER MY QUESTIONS.GOING OUTSIDE TO GET ANSWERS I HOPE.
              Hahaha. I still do that. If its closed cooling, you can just run antifreeze thru it til it starts running pink out of the exhaust. The only this is making sure it warms up enough to open the thermostat so the antifreeze goes into the motor. I ran the hose right behind the strainer which is at the back of the motor inline with the thru hull. I run 4 gallons thru mine and it was a done deal. You'll also need to add stabil to the fuel if its going to sit for a few months. I could be missing something but someone else will chime in as this is my first season winterizing an inboard
              Ain't no 1/2 steppin'

Comment

THIS IS WHAT I FOUND.BLACK BOX AT BOTTOM OF MOTOR READS"MERCRUISER COOLFUEL".AND A COUPLE BLUE KNOBS ON BOTH SIDES LIKE IN MATT AND CHPS WINTERIZING THREAD.HOPE THAT HELPS.
                Attached Files

Comment

It looks like yours is a standard open cooling system

What I've been doing is pump/run 5 gal marine antifreeze thru after it has warmed up on the fake a lake. It will all basically pour out of exhaust. Then pull all the blue plugs ensuring pink comes out of them, pull the hose of the sea pump pressure side, and the lower hose off the trans cooler. Your 3rd picture is a fuel cooler, it will have a blue plug as well. Should be about 4-8 plugs total. And as Bryce said Stabil in the tank and let the motor run for 5-10 min on fake a lake to ensure its thru the entire system. Its a little over the top on the antifreeze and pulling plugs but winters here can get pretty cold or they can be really mild.
                  Last edited by Ruger761; 12-05-2012, 01:55 PM.

Comment

St. It looks as though you live in the gold coast area of california, I don't think it freezes there (I could be wrong) IMO all you really need to do is service the boat i.e. oil change, Fuel Stabilizer, may be a new water seperator if needed based on hours. I would suggest to drain the water as well. Just my Good luck man.

Comment

IT GETS TO ABOUT 28 TO 30 DEGREES AT MY STORAGE UNIT.I REALLY DONT WANT TO WINTERIZE IF POSSIBLE BECAUSE WE NEVER NOW HOW LONG WE CAN ACTUALLY KEEP BOARDING ON THE CENTRAL COAST HERE.I JUST KEEP WATCHING THE LOWS,MAYBE A QUICK WINTERIZING AND TUNE UP FROM THE LOCAL BOAT DOC WOULD BE THE BEST BET.MUCH APPRECIATED.
                      Last edited by ST.TIGE; 12-05-2012, 08:25 PM.

Comment

JUST GOT BACK FROM THE BOAT DOC AND THEY BASICALLY DO THE SAME AS THE QUICK WINTERING.HE ALSO TOLD ME THAT IT WOULD TAKE A COUPLE OF DAYS OF FREEZING TO CRACK THE BLOCK?DOES THIS SOUND CORRECT?HE TOLD ME TO GO ENJOY IT SOME MORE THIS YEAR AND NOT STRESS IT?THANKS FOR ANY INPUT

Comment

All depends on your high/low temps. If lows are below freezing for a few hrs a day only and your still getting up into the high 40-50s probably be ok. But if your getting even one full day below freezing it can crack the block. All it takes is the water in the cooling jackets to freeze once. But its very easy to pull the blue plugs and let the water drain out. Might take you 10-15 min total. For quick cold snaps that dont last long a single 100 watt light bulb puts off enough heat to keep the engine above freezing.

Comment

THANKS FOR THE INPUT.ALL HELPS.DUMB QUESTION....DOES WATER JUST GO BACK IN THE BLOCK WHEN I PUT IN BACK IN THE LAKE OR IS IT BETTER TURN ON THE HOSE WITH FAKE A LAKE?THANKS AGAIN

Comment

Theres no dumb questions. Soon as you start it, your impeller will fill the block/lines back up very quickly.

Comment

Working...
                              X