Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ballast configuration for 2004 22i?

Any suggestions?

I'm worried about damaging the sidewalls in the rear compartments (taper from 15'' down to 9"). Should I be concerned with filling a 350-400lb sac in there?

I was thinking about Launch Pads. Maybe 750lb sac between engine cover and rear seat and 350lb sac in bow floor.

http://www.gotriver.com/ballast_bags.htm

I responded to your question in the other thread. As for the Launch Pad ballast though, I use one for the front between the seats. The outer cover for the launch pad is much better than the Phat Sacs. This is important for exposed ballst as people will be stepping on it all day. It is also better for the abuse of moving to the back when we teak surf.

Comment

I Use the Pro X Series Sacs - Side Sacs 12 X 12 X 48. One on each side in the side lockers. I put 2 Fat Bricks in the front walkway. 2 People usually in the boat with these make a great wake. I only use these when I do not have the people weight.

Comment

Remember, you want a 60/40 weight distribution (rear/front).
        Cursed by a fortune cookie: "Your principles mean more to you than any money or success."

Comment

Are you guys running a lower pitch prop with ballast? Acme recommends a (911) 13 x 10.5 three blade .060 cup.

Comment

I lowered mine slightly and went to a 4 blade but do not recall the exact prop information. The performance improvement was very slight. I would not spend the money if I had to do it again.

Comment

David
              I've had sacks in those lockers for 4 or 5 years now and it's not a problem at all. If you want to get crazy, those compartments are perfect for putting a completely automatic set up.

You can fit the pump and pvc fittings and still fit a standard or v-drive side sac behind it. Works great. Those pictures show spring loaded 1-way valves, but flappers work much better for burping the air and improve efficiency.
              Last edited by dliguori; 03-09-2006, 07:47 AM.

Comment

If you are interested in doing an auto system let me know. Really I just jump at the oportunity to show pics of my setup. I need to take more pictures because I just built a shelf that sits above the bags. They keep your stuff above and out of the way of the bags. I don't know how much has changed about the dimensions of those cubbies but I doubt it's much.
                Last edited by dliguori; 03-09-2006, 07:55 AM.

Comment

Ok, let's see it!
                  Cursed by a fortune cookie: "Your principles mean more to you than any money or success."

Comment

dliguori

Thanks!....More pics and specifics (bag size, wiring, controls, etc.) would be great. I'm sure other 22i owners would also be interested.

Comment

Okay I just took a bunch of additional pictures. I think I will start a new post and go from begining to end. I have to leave soon so I will post them tonight. I will include a few just to give you guys an idea.
                      <br>I added a union here so that I can remove the who manifold for easy flax packing changes. You can't see it here but the shaft is behind the manifold. In hindsight 2" was overkill - even for a five bag system (I plan to expand it in the near future). It reduces to 1 1/2" pvc almost imediately but if I went with a 1 1/2" thru hull I would have had a lot more room to work with. Also Stainless, although it looks good and will last for a long time, is difficult to work with because the treads naturally snag on eachother(I had a very tough time getting the 90 and the thru hull together well).

Last edited by dliguori; 03-09-2006, 07:15 PM.

Comment

I made these speaker covers out of small plastic paint buckets from Home Depot. Made tabs to attach. Work AWESOME. They are actually very strong and releave the pressure of the water off the speakers and keeps water off of them.
                        Last edited by dliguori; 03-09-2006, 07:05 PM.

Comment

I used angled aluminium for the ledge of the bin which holds the one side as the other is wedged against the other side.

Comment

In order to get the shelf in the end caps have to come off. Also on the port side they go in easy. On the starboard side, the cap turns. This is because you have to put it in and then slide it back because the bilge thru hull and hose are in the way).
                            You can see it here:

Comment

The upside of this system is that it is fully automatic, if you over fill it pumps over the side, when you empty it goes overboard rather than out under the boat. It's fast because each bag has its own pump.
                              The downside is, if you pop a bag it will probably ruin the pump because it's sharing the same space as the bag(although simers are only 75 bucks so it's not that bad. Also it would require an actual puncture since there is an overflow).

Comment

Working...
                              X