Backing up/trailering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Backing up/trailering

I just purchased a '04 22i type r. I love it but I absolutely hate docking and pulling onto the trailer. Sorry to all those people at Lake Mead this weekend who were watching the spectacle of my driving skills. I get that the boat backs to the right, but is there some advise someone can give me when trailering so I don't turn sideways if I'm not perfectly lined up. Also, pulling away from the dock was quite challenging as I couldn't get my back around. I hope it gets easier.

I have a 04 21i and there is no steering in reverse. I always try to get lined up and if I'm going to fast ill bump it in reverse to slow down than right back into gear forward. As long as you arent in neutral you should have steering and if it isnt choppy you should be fine, depending on how far the trailers backed in and what not.
    Ain't no 1/2 steppin'

Comment

Practice practice practice. It does get easier, but just takes some time to get used to the handling characteristics and think ahead. Try going out on the lake, well away from anything, toss a PFD in the water, and just doing lots of slow speed manuvering around it in forward and reverse.

Comment

I back the trailer in a little shallow and then just leave the boat in gear till I hit the bunks. Just idle up to the trailer and that way you have steering the whole way. As far as pulling away from a dock, I try to make sure that I come in nose out. That way I don't have to worry about backing up.

Comment

Originally posted by dingleberry View Post
          Practice practice practice. It does get easier, but just takes some time to get used to the handling characteristics and think ahead. Try going out on the lake, well away from anything, toss a PFD in the water, and just doing lots of slow speed manuvering around it in forward and reverse.
          THIS!!!!

Once you learn the characteristics of maneuvering the boat you will be surprised just how small of spot you can turn the boat around 360 degrees. When docking, use the fact that it pulls to the right in reverse to your advantage. Come into the dock at a 45 degree angle, and just as your bow is getting close, go into reverse and the pull to the right will bring you right beside the dock ready to tie off. Put some bumpers out and get some people in the boat and on the dock if needed and practice this maneuver.

Trailering takes practice as well. You just have to know what your boat is going to do as you are approaching the trailer. Windy, current, chop, etc all play a factor. Take it slow and steady and the nerves will go away soon enough.

I went from I/Os to inboards and I basically had to learn how to drive all over again.

Comment

Go slow. Click in and out of gear.

As discussed above, use prop walk in reverse to swing the stern in the starboard direction.

What is not often mentioned is that the magnitude of prop walk depends on rudder position. Turn the wheel all the way to port, and you get a small amount of prop walk (always in starboard direction). In contrast, turn the wheel all the way to starboard and you will get MUCH more prop walk (again in the starboard direction, but more so).

This becomes important when you want to minimize prop walk (like when backing out of slip) and to maximize prop walk (approaching dock at 45 degrees and swinging the stern into the dock).

Comment

Just relax and know that everyone else is enjoying the show! One day you'll be in the audience too.

Just go slow so that when it all goes wrong you are not doing any damage. I pretty much keep it in neutral all the time and just give it a quick bump of forward or reverse. Depending on how deep you pull your trailer, be careful of having it in gear. If you are not perfectly straight, there is not much space between your prop and the trailer.

If I'm in a situation where I have a less experienced driver in the boat (ie: nobody can handle the trailer) I'll just have them get close and then I'll walk it onto the trailer by hand.

It definitely gets easier over time.

Comment

I like to approach the trailer at an angle from the left. When you get close and need to scrub off some speed, the stern will swing around to the right when you put the boat into revers. You're now lined right up with the trailer, so just bump it in and out of gear to move forward and nest the keel in the bunks. Dont be afraid to use the guides as leverage to turn the boat. Now, this doesnt mean hitting them with speed and bouncing off them like a pinball.
                Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

I use the go slow method make sure I am aware of the wind/water direction and take my time to ensure not messing anything up!

Comment

FYI - There are lots of good instructional videos on YouTube. Everything from docking to trailering are covered in many different types of conditions. I found these very helpful when I was just a newbie!

Comment

Originally posted by dingleberry View Post
                      agreed...I've got about 70 hours under my belt now and it's not quite as scary as it was at first...I have much more touch with the throttle now.

The "think ahead" advice is invaluable...I paid the price last night...dinged my prop on a concrete curb on the boat ramp because I didn't think ahead. Launching, for the most part has been a no-brainer...not anymore...I should have backed down the ramp as far to the port side as possible to allow myself enough room to back up (to the right)...I didn't and there was a rental pontoon tied to the courtesy dock starboard side and one thing led to another and the wind started pushing me sideways back toward the ramp...had to get out or risk serious damage to hull...the prop nicked the submerged curb and voila, day over...

Comment

Thanks for all the great advise. I used the boat twice this week and both times the docking and trailering went beautifully. Still pretty anxious while pulling onto the trailer but much better. Soon I'll be as good as you all. See you on the lake!

Comment

Just to prove you're not alone.

Saw this post from Lake Havasu this morning.

http://blog.golakehavasu.com/need-a-helping-hand/

Comment

I hollered at a guy this weekend who was dragging the lower unit of his stern drive up the boat ramp. All I got was a dirty look for trying to help. I can't believe he didn't hear all the ruckus that metal on concrete was making, or that he couldn't feel that he was dragging it up the ramp.
                            Last edited by konajay; 08-14-2012, 11:23 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X