22i alarm warning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

22i alarm warning

I just got the boat back from being dewinterized and took the boat out on the 4th for the first time this summer. After about 20 mins on the lake an alarm buzzer went off and the engine started to sputter at about 15 mph. This happened on and off at first but not until about 15 mph. So we sat most of the day in the cove and swam around just starting up the boat when we needed to move. Then this alarm started going off at low speeds even just kicked into gear. The engine seemed to be running fine at low speeds. We limped back to the dock in the early afternoon and called it a day. We pretty much idled all the way back to dock. None of the gages showed any sign of a problem. No messages on the dash and no lights came on. Has anyone else had this problem and what should I be looking at first to trouble shoot this?
    Thanks,
    Brandon
    2002 Tige 22i Type R

Overheating? High engine temp could kick it into limp mode, but your temp gauge would definitely be a sign.

Comment

Check the wire going to the knock sensor on the bottom of the block. After putting it back in after de-winterizing sometimes they forget to hook it back up and it will cause your symptoms.

Comment

I don't think the engine was over heating because the temp gauge read 175 all day long. Is it possible to get a normal false reading on any of the gauges from this? I will check the wire going to the knock sensor and see if it wasn't hooked back up.
        Thank you.
        Brandon
        2002 Tige 22i Type R

Comment

I just dealt with a similar issue in a 2006 20i, see posts in this forum "2006 20i keeps going into reduction mode". Suggestions from a Tige dealer in Osage Beach, and forum members suggestions seemed to point to something electric. Check all electrical connections to battery (this was my problem), also connections to the ignition assembly, throttle control, and automatic speed control if your boat is equiped. Also the knock sensor as suggested above, this was mentioned by several people as a problem after winterazation. Hope this helps.

Comment

What was the alarm code, multiple beeps, steady? Mercruiser has specific alarms for specific issues.
            Fixing everyone elses boat just so I can use mine...

Comment

Working...
            X