Help with Strut

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with Strut

Hello everyone! Im new to the boating scene and I recently purchased a 96 Tige and on my first outing I hit a rock and bended the strut. Any help on where can I buy a new one or can I get it repaired/fixed? Any feedback will be helpful. Thanks
    Last edited by caliguy58; 07-31-2011, 09:09 AM.
    Luis Garcia

To give a better description is a Pre 2002 - 20'
    Luis Garcia

Comment

Welcome to the site. Sorry you had a bad outing your first time out.

With little information I would say try your dealer.

If you can add where you are located and possibly some pictures others may be able to join in and give you a better recommendation.

Comment

I'm in Lancaster,Ca
        Luis Garcia

Comment

There's a Tige Dealer in Corona / Pomona. Ummmm I had the same boat, but never bet a strut. Not sure how hard it is to get off, but Im sure it can be replace or repaired without a huge amount of trouble. Are you mechanical at all?
          So this monkey walks into a bar...

Comment

If you bent the strut, you probably bent the shaft and prop as well. It's about a $1500 repair. You can get parts and do it yourself, but if you've never aligned a prop shaft, you probably want to have a professional do it. My $.02
            Cursed by a fortune cookie: "Your principles mean more to you than any money or success."

Comment

My local high end machine shop straightened my strut back out. Hopefully it's straight!
              Build thread: http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/showthread.php?14787-Duffy-s-2005-24v-wakesurfing-mod-thread&highlight=duffys+24v

Comment

Yeah I noticed that in Corona there's a Tige dealer. I'm going to give them a call to see if I can order it through them. Im sure I can buy it through them but at a full retail price. I was trying to avoid the dealers since they mark up the price on everything. My other concern is that the shaft might be bent but I can't tell from the naked eye.
                Luis Garcia

Comment

I got the new prop, now I need the strut but Im thinking Im going to go through my insurance company and keep the prop I bought as a back up spare. I will feel much more at ease if the job is done by a professional once I put the boat back on the water. I was trying to avoid submitting a claim.
                  Luis Garcia

Comment

I dont know of any machine shop that can straighten the strut around Lancaster,CA. Being new to boating I dont know that's if thats even an option? The strut can be straighten out?
                    Luis Garcia

Comment

Again, depending on how bad it was. It's a cast steel item. Shouldn't be a big deal. Just look for a local machine shop. Im sure Lancaster or Palmdale will have several.
                      So this monkey walks into a bar...

Comment

Mine was bronze and seems to work great after the guy fixed it. 45 bucks vs 400.
                        Build thread: http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/showthread.php?14787-Duffy-s-2005-24v-wakesurfing-mod-thread&highlight=duffys+24v

Comment

Thanks Duff, Im definitely going to look into it. Thanks for the advice
                          Luis Garcia

Comment

Working...
                          X