Idle Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Idle Problem

I'm brand new today...first post but visiting for two years.I have a carbureted 2005 20i which I bought used with low hours two years ago. Had idle problems from the onset which I attributed to stale fuel, etc. Engaging the velvet would kill the motor 4 times out of 5...made docking pretty exciting. During my fall fake-a-lake mothballing I bumped the velvet into gear for a second and heard an immediate squeal from the prop shaft bearing. Took it to the dealer who replaced the notorious 05 only ceramic bearing under extended warranty...I was impressed. However they admit that they were unable to cure the stalling. Has anyone else experienced this? Dealer blames carb but can't find anything physically wrong with it. I set the idle speed up and that helped, but makes me come into the dock too hot which is even worse if it stalls...hull killer. This is my 11th boat since 1971...4th inboard ...don't think it's operator related. Any help out there will be greatly appreciated!

Welcome to the site! Unfortunately, I don't have any answers for you. My boat is fuel injected.
    I hope this bump will get you some answers.
    Did you try all the other tune up stuff? Filters, plugs, cap and rotor?
    Mike Allen, Tigé owner since 1997

Comment

Carberated boats are a rare thing these days. Not too many of us even remember how to work on a carb anymore. What kind of carb is on it? Do you change a lot of elevation when you go from home to the lake?
      You'll get your chance, smart guy.

Comment

Welcome to the site. I don't have any advise for you but would like to see some pictures of your boat. Good luck on getting you problem solved.

Comment

My gut says its time for a carb rebuild.
          Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

I'd agree with Mike, above, but before going the rebuild route, i'd try a few treatments (ie seafoam).

Comment

Don't know what's going on with the engine. But you should never engage the transmission while out of the water.
              Common Sense is not so Common
              Looking for fat chicks for long walks, romance, cheap buffets, and BALLAST.

Comment

Zad is correct. I made a similar mistake when I bought mine.

Comment

Working...
                X