Another Steerig Cable Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another Steerig Cable Question

As we look forward to Spring here in Nevada, it's time to turn our attention back to the boat. First item on the list this year....replace the steering cable. Plenty of threads on hear to explain how to do it, so I think I can tackle it. Couple of questions though.

Where do I buy a replacement Cable? (Please don't answer with local Tige dealer)

And how do I figure out which one I need? I have an '05 22i.

I can't help you on the length, but I suggest you contact Andrew for the purchase: http://www.automarinecare.com/
    He posts on here as SPBFAN regularly.

Comment

Did mine last year, I called Tige to confirm the correct length (while on the phone I also got the Spectrum Color Gel Coat color #'s for some future repairs). They were excellent and happy to answer my questions. I then ordered the cable online (do not remember where) and followed the instructions on this site. I found that reaching the the bolts on the rudder were hard (2003 22v with Merc engine) and went ahead and pulled the sea water pump for faster easier access. While this was off it is a good time to lube the ol rudder box as well. I also had trouble breaking the 1 1/8" nut and ended up removing the bracket so the nut could be broken loose with room to operate. All in all it took me about 3 hours but I could do it again much faster. Be sure you have the 1 1/8" wrench which usually has to be purchased at an auto parts store.

Comment

Sounds like you have had fun with the local dealer like I have. It's a shame to have a new boat that you can't take to the local dealer for service. Anyway, I would call Tige directly. Harvey has been great to work with and seems to always connect me with the right person/parts.

Comment

Not to cause a rant, but what problem did you have with local dealer, im only asking so as to keep educated on what consumers are faced with in customer relations, this info helps all dealers to stay on top of running a top dealership.

Comment

Take a look at the how to change out a steering cable thread in the Maintenance section. I have an 04 22i and posted up picts of the swap out. I am pretty sure I also listed the cable that I bought and where I bought it from... I will try to get the link and post it back into this thread.

Here is the link.

http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/show...?t=7338&page=3
            Last edited by jwanck11; 03-04-2011, 05:16 PM.

Comment

Dom,

I wonder if the dealership issues are the cost of the service, extreme mark up on parts, or when it takes 2-3 weeks for any repair. I know I would never have started doing fluid changes and repairs myself if they could be done in a timely manor. Timely would be drop off Monday, pick up Friday, period (excluding major repairs like an engine rebuild or something). As an owner of of an older boat (2003) that I bought used, I always feel like a second class citizen to the brand new boats. I will buy a boat long before the guy with the new one but it seems you go to the back of the line for not being the last guy out of the sales office. The service I get as a used boat owner will be a major factor in where and what brand of new boat I buy in the future. It seems to me the service department should be the best lead generator for new boat sales a dealership could have, if it is was treated that way.

Comment

Agree service is King , the only thing we were up against the last couple of years was getting parts in a timely manner , most venders had cut staff and inventory and it was difficult to get certain items.

Comment

You can order the cable from Teleflex/Morse online or by finding one of their local dealers, we usually buy from West Marine. There is a cable length stamped onto the sheath of the cable, usually up by the steering wheel but not always. This number is also usually in inches along with the Teleflex cable number right next to it. Good luck.
                  Fixing everyone elses boat just so I can use mine...

Comment

Thanks guys I'll contact Tige next week and talk to them directly.

The main issue with using my local dealer is cost. Much like anything else lately we have to cut costs where we can. Also location is a factor as my dealer is 45 minutes away. The service is usually not an issue although I have been promised several things in the past which were not delivered on. So now i prefer to do as much of the work as I can, that way the only person disappointing me......is me.

Comment

cable dealer

just put one on my 21i last night got the teleflex xfxtreme version on amazon for a whopping $133 free shipping! thats where i would hunt proble same cable

Comment

skidim.com has been really helpful for me in the past and got me a cable and answered all questions I had. Good luck its not that bad of a project.

Comment

I have a cable in the classifieds section of this forum if that's the right size for what you need. It's a SSC15417 which is also a direct replacement and upgrade for the SSC13417. I bought it for my Z1 and found out I needed 2 feet longer.

Comment

I Have a 06 22 i and just bought this cable from Wholesale Marine
                            3999 Woodridge Blvd
                            Indian Springs, OH 45014
                            877-388-2628
                            sales@wholesalemarine.com
                            www.wholesalemarine.com

TEL-SS14118 Teleflex Marine Rack and Pinion Steering System

Was like $140 shipped. I called Tige dealer in Ca and said either 17 or 18 ft would work depends on how it is routed through the boat.

Comment

Steering cable replacement

wlfnvegas,

I too live in Nevada and have the same exact boat, 2005 22i, I just replaced my steering cable last season, the cable is a "Teleflex rack and pinion steering cable" the part number is #SSC13418 (18ft)the part number is also on the cable in the boat, you'll see it when you pull the old one out,make note. I tried to find it at Overtons and a few other places, if I remember right some reason Overtons didnt have that specific one, and couldnt find it elsewhere, but things might have changed since last year, the price was right around $180.00, for the steering cable at other stores, i think I ended up buying from the local Tige dealer yahoo's and it was only about $10.00 bucks more, there part number was #88-1351 ($192.99)sounds like you might be able to find it a little cheaper this year than last year. Replacing the cable was a piece of cake, the hardest part was reaching under the rear floor board to loosen and tighten the bolt on the rudder, just an awkward position took me about 2 hours upside down with feet hanging straight up LOL, and that was with a 20 minute procrastination on cutting the old cable, thought i might F--- things up. Also, theres a blog from "Lee" 7-2-2008(he knows alot of ****!) that I printed out and followed, which made it super simple, he was right on with his directions...good luck with your cable, should be a piece of cake and save you 3-5 hundred bucks by not taking it to the local dealership. Questions, send me an email, have fun.....Firemangr82b1
                              P.S. when you store your boat next year, turn your steering wheel all the way to the left, that encloses the cable in its outer sleeve and helps protect it from moisture and rust....

Comment

Working...
                              X