Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exhaust/muffler leaking water into boat

The boat is a 2002 21i riders edition.

When I was starting the boat it took more effort than normal. The engine would start then die. Once running, I started driving the boat and everything seemed ok . After a few minutes My son said dad smoke is coming out of the back of the boat. I looked back and noticed a ton of smoke. I moved the throttle to idle and the boat died. The temp read really low. My guess is no water was in the engine for the sensor to read. The boat was taking on water but the bilge pump was keeping up with it. This is what I know now ..... When it died while trying to start it. the engine would kick backward a bit causing the impeller to reverse the fins. This condition takes more effort to spin the raw water pump into the correct direction. When I restarted it the belt started to slip on the crank pulley eventually breaking the belt. No water was getting into the exhaust or engine causing one of the mufflers to get really hot and it burned a 4" hole burned in it and the carpet was melted/burnt that tige wrapped around the mufflers. I just ordered replacement Verna 1000216 Ski Mufflers from https://www.marineandrvpartssupply.c...arts_List.html

The cause of the hard start condition was the distributor cap was corroded.

Everything is fine now I just posted this as a heads up.

just installed the new mufflers and with a bit of work the are great. These have a 45 degree elbow not a 90. I had to buy a 45 degree elbow to make them work. I also had to add a 3.5" to 3" reducer for the exit side. the stock pipe is 3.5" on the exit side but these are 3". I would contact the manufacturer and see if they make a 43" muffler with a 3" 90 degree inlet and a 3.5" outlet if I had to do this again.

Comment

Working...
    X