taps question/

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

taps question/

I purchased a 2001 tige 20i. After a whole slew of problems mostly caused by my own ignorance it is running pretty good and the family is loving it, i however spend most my time jaw clenched wondering what i'll break next. we went to texoma for the 4th and had a good time, but i noticed my bro in laws ski natique which is smaller but 10years older runs alot harder out of the whole and had alot better wake as far as clean at top. my taps does not work and the plate is pretty much horizontal with the water, ihave sand bags under the back seats and some big boned relatives. I have a 3 blade prop with a different pitch that the prop shop guy reccommended on order to help with low end torque. iwas just wondering if the taps would help with the washed out wake or maybe there is something else i could try. i heard speed was an issue iwas pulling between 19 and 22 mph.sorry for the long post and thanks in advance for the help.

The taps plate will definately help. What is the model number of the prop.

Comment

Add weight up front as well. This will balance the boat.
      Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

the new prop says 515 13x12and ofcourse is a three blade... is the taps pump in a secret locker on my boat also?

Comment

I am a bit confused - is this for skiing or wake boarding??

If skiing - is there a reason that you are pulling so slowly? Are these novice riders? We usually ski between 28-32. If you move up to those speeds, the wake will change considerably. Also, if skiing, why are you running with sand bags? Is that something that someone told you would help? I would remove them.

If you are wakeboarding, yes the taps will definitely help you shape the wake. I am sorry but I dont know where the pump is on that boat. Also, what Chp said will also likely help - toss some weight up front.
          Last edited by jwanck11; 07-17-2010, 11:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by chpthril View Post
            Add weight up front as well. This will balance the boat.
            This exactly.. I have the same boat as you and really only puts out a decent wake if the weight is evenly balanced throughout the boat. When I first got the boat, I made the same mistake and put everybody in the back and it was washing out the wake. Also, if you have a working TAPS, it will help.

Comment

The TAPS is pretty nice, you can watch the wake change as you adjust it, so that might be the ticket. If you are wake boarding, don't worry about getting out of the hole as much. A lot of boat drivers like to pull up wake boarders the same way they pull up skiers, but it is totally unnecessary to pull a boarder up that quickly. If you are skiing, increase the speed and these boats put out a really sweet wake for sure. Also for skiing, don't add any weight to the back. Good luck.

Comment

Not sure if it will be in the same spot but my 99 21i's TAPS pump is located left of the integrated cooler on the port side of the boat. mine has a round cap with a single handle.

Comment

Taps pump might be under the helm in that boat. Mine is on the back side of the helm bulkhead, inside.
                  You'll get your chance, smart guy.

Comment

yeah the prop made my boat run really good til i filled it full of crappy gas at the marina. dang thieves, 3.20 for some watered down 87 octane. do you guys use 87 or 91? I have yet to fix or even look for the pump I am justhappy to be out on the water. I will however look this week cause I'm taking the carb off to be reworked neways and I figure that should give me enough time to look at my taps before I hit the lake again. thx for all the replies.

Comment

I just run 87.

Comment

Mixed reviews on the octane. It seems to be one of the very few things Tigeowners can't seem to agree on, which to me says it's personal preference. There is some data somewhere that supports lower octane in the newer motors but, in my old Merc, I have always run 91. I was always taught to run premium in higher compression motors though.
                        You'll get your chance, smart guy.

Comment

Ours has always run great on the cheapest 87 (usually Costco) I can find.

Comment

Originally posted by R&T Babich View Post
                            Ours has always run great on the cheapest 87 (usually Costco) I can find.
                            I've been running 87 for years with no issues. Originally, they told me mid-grade (89), but 87 seems to work fine too.
                            Cursed by a fortune cookie: "Your principles mean more to you than any money or success."

Comment

i run 91 because its a high performance motor, it just makes it run cleaner and lasts longer.

Comment

Working...
                              X