Big boy Ballast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Big boy Ballast

Well, not that big but up until today all I have used to surf is one 400# bag under the rear storage compartment. Headed to pick up a pro x this afternoon and I believe it is 1100lbs. This is the U shaped bag that goes behind and arount the engine compartment. I think I want to put the smaller sack ahead of the engine in the front walkway but am concerned about the bow a bit.

Any of you that has this hull knows what I am talking about in the swamping department so anyone have any reccomendations? I am real excited about getting a better surf wake and will post pics if I don't sink her

I have a 2001 21i so I know all about the swamping problems I run 3 V-drive sacks(aprox. 400lbs each) in my boat. 2 in the corner that we are surfing then 1 right in front of the Engine (next to the drive seat). it took us a couple good swamping to get the hang of how to drive. I found that if a rider falls to just cut the throttle and turn to the opposite side as the rides on. Then just wait a sec for the waves to roll by before heading back to pick up your rider. I have spent about 2 years playing with weight to get the best wave. With just weight in the back in makes for a Really tall wake but not very long thats why the weight in the front is so important. It gives the wave the length to form a nice wave. I have played with the U-shape before too. While it did make for a nice wave on either side it didn't set up the best possible wave. I think you would be better off with an L shape in just the corner, that way you be getting the most out of you boat. I am headed out to the lake here in a bit so I well be sure to take some pics and send them to you later.
    I'm going old school- I'm bring back the SKURFER!!!!!!

Comment

Hi
      I have a 99 (350 tournament ski)also but have not had any luck with surfing behind it. when we weight it enough to surf i find the boat vibrates like crazy and runs rough, enough that i just don't bother anymore. What prop u running? am considering acme 515, we ski mostly anyway.
      When we did surf, I agree with the post about coming off slowly and letting the wake pass, turn wheel and small shot of rev to get her spinning. Have fun

Comment

I agree w/ CrazyJ83, weighting down one side would be better. I have posted several times what I run. I have (1) 320# bag filled to about 250#'s under the back seat and (2) v sacs on the side surfing on. I just got a 155# brick for the front walkway. The brick made a big differents. I get a really nice wake, it ins't long but it is high. I also added a 653 prop because we wakeboard, surf and tube most of the time. I have my 4 blade for skiing if needed. The new prop made a big difference with hole shot and cavitation. I run between 10.5 & 11mph and usually have 4 other people in the boat.

Bolo, a new prop my help you. I had the same thing before I got a new prop.

Nice thing is if you wakeboard take one sac and move it to the other side of the engine and you will have an awesome wakeboarding wake.

Just keep in mind if you surf goofy footed you need to keep an eye on you bilge area, I have heard that the water can come in through the exit hole if it is under water or something to this affect. I don't do this just for this reason anymore.
        Last edited by TRD; 06-18-2010, 05:43 PM.
        Dale
        2000 21i Tige

Comment

Thanks everyone. Not sure what the prop is but I already know I need to upgrade as I have issues under heavy load every once in a while.

Can't wait to see those other pics! I will post mine up after tomorrow.

Comment

Make sure you talk to Bill or Todd at Acme. This is what they told me, the 653 will run at about 200rpm's less then the 911. Both these prop are good for our style boats.
            Dale
            2000 21i Tige

Comment

Well, its official. The ballast setup makes for a kick a surf wake. I went out with 1100lb in the back and 400lb in the front walkway. We also had 7 ppl in the boat. I try not to be crazy about moving ppl around in the boat to get a good wake and didnt even have to with this much in.
              Unfortunately it is clear I have to get a new prop. Cavitation was more of a problem at slower speeds and when pulling wakeboarders it took me painfully long to get up to speed. Dale, you say the 653 is the ticket for us correct? If it is running 200 rpms less than that means the pitch is increasing and would place more load on the motor right? I was assuming I needed to decrease pitch to have more power.

I have a video but it was not shot with the intention of showcasing the wake so take it for what it is... a little beer surfing. The wake was very washy here, after I came in I shiftet ppl to the back corner and actually had a curl! This is the first time I have been able to surf behind the boat with no concern of needing a rope at all. Good times!

Comment

OK having video embed issues. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlZYAF6bOjo

Comment

You can play with the taps to clean up the face of the wave. Just keep experimenting, you will get it now that you have the weight.

Comment

Originally posted by Timmy! View Post
                    You can play with the taps to clean up the face of the wave. Just keep experimenting, you will get it now that you have the weight.
                    Yep, it is like a whole new boat. I was boarding and my driver was playing w/the taps. He was able to put together a fantastic wake ramp and lip. My boarding is mediocre and I was still able to get a wake to wake jump at 6 feet high. (based off of what the observers said) It felt to me like 20 feet high.

Comment

Originally posted by Oklahoma Breakdown View Post
                      Well, its official. The ballast setup makes for a kick a surf wake. I went out with 1100lb in the back and 400lb in the front walkway. We also had 7 ppl in the boat. I try not to be crazy about moving ppl around in the boat to get a good wake and didnt even have to with this much in.
                      Unfortunately it is clear I have to get a new prop. Cavitation was more of a problem at slower speeds and when pulling wakeboarders it took me painfully long to get up to speed. Dale, you say the 653 is the ticket for us correct? If it is running 200 rpms less than that means the pitch is increasing and would place more load on the motor right? I was assuming I needed to decrease pitch to have more power.
                      The 653 should INCREASE your rpm's. The 911 will increase you rpm's over the 653 by 200 + whatever the 653 increased. I have an original OJ 4 blade prop (13 x 13). I put the 653 on and my rpm's went up, don't know how much. Call Bill or Todd at Acme (888) 661-2263 http://www.acmemarine.com/. They will have way more info then I have. Awesome people.
                      Dale
                      2000 21i Tige

Comment

Yep, it is like a whole new boat. I was boarding and my driver was playing w/the taps. He was able to put together a fantastic wake ramp and lip. My boarding is mediocre and I was still able to get a wake to wake jump at 6 feet high. (based off of what the observers said) It felt to me like 20 feet high.
                        Nice job. Good times.

I will post some pics of my wake later on in July. If I understand correctly you have a 1100# U sac, how much other weight do you have? You can get a better wake still, you have a lot of white wash. Run your taps at 4-4.5. You WILL need to add some more weight to the side of the boat you are surfing on. We run a speed of 10.5 or 11. I don't have a PP on my boat but it stays at speed pretty good. It will not be a long wake but it will be high.

Also, I have an excel worksheet w/ some engine p/n's and how I winterize my boat if you need it.
                        Last edited by TRD; 06-21-2010, 07:12 PM.
                        Dale
                        2000 21i Tige

Comment

Originally posted by TRD View Post
                          Nice job. Good times.

I will post some pics of my wake later on in July. If I understand correctly you have a 1100# U sac, how much other weight do you have? You can get a better wake still, you have a lot of white wash. Run your taps at 4-4.5. You WILL need to add some more weight to the side of the boat you are surfing on. We run a speed of 10.5 or 11. I don't have a PP on my boat but it stays at speed pretty good. It will not be a long wake but it will be high.

Also, I have an excel worksheet w/ some engine p/n's and how I winterize my boat if you need it.
                          You are correct on the u shape. I also had a 400lb sack in the walkway. Next time I go out I will put the 400lb sack on the back corner.

Would love the spreadsheet if you could shoot it to me! Getting ready to contact Acme for that prop too.

Comment

You are correct on the u shape. I also had a 400lb sack in the walkway. Next time I go out I will put the 400lb sack on the back corner.

Would love the spreadsheet if you could shoot it to me! Getting ready to contact Acme for that prop too.
                            send me a PM w/ your email address and I will send it to you.

I think if I were you I would put the 400# in the back and get someone who is about 250# to stand in the walkway just to see how it affects the wake. Then get you a 155# brick for the walkway if you think it is worth it. You wont believe the wake you will get. Good luck. (and I guess good luck to Oklahoma now that Florida is out of the CWS, don't know who else to pull for. I just hope FSU gets beat SOON, hate losing to them of all teams).
                            Dale
                            2000 21i Tige

Comment

Hey here is what my looks like
                              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyMWf55aCPU
                              I'm going old school- I'm bring back the SKURFER!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X