Another Met"crap" Failure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another Met"crap" Failure

Took my '01 21i out for the median voyage last weekend and I noticed that the tower is mush looser than normal. I grabbed the tower and with little effort, it wiggled like a leaf in the wind. So I proceeded to remove the black pads around the top of the tower, and to my amazement, the tower was sheared off at the mounting point on both sides...

So over the weekend the wife and I mulled over which tower we should get. We settled on the Monster MT2. we opted for the package deal with racks,mirror and tower speakers. We upgraded the tower speakers to Wet Sounds XS650's. I will be installing the tower this weekend. I will post pictures of the finished product.

Here are the pics of the failed Met "crap" tower.
    Attached Files

Samson Sports

Comment

Uh oh the grammar police are going to get you. Get ready for it.
      Formertigeowners.com
      I used to be a member in the past.

Comment

Originally posted by Carter13 View Post
        Uh oh the grammar police are going to get you. Get ready for it.
        I saw that. LOL.

Sux about the tower but, at least you get a new one. It will be much better.

Comment

how hard was it to get off?

Let me know if the new tower lines up w/ your exsisting holes.

Thanks
          Dale
          2000 21i Tige

Comment

Originally posted by TRD View Post
            how hard was it to get off?

Let me know if the new tower lines up w/ your exsisting holes.

Thanks
            The tower came off easier than I expected. The total time I have invested in removal is less than 30 minutes.

The front mounts should line up. The rear mounts I know will not. I plan on installing pull up cleats where the stock tower mounted.

Bring on the grammar police, I need all the help I can get!

Comment

It is actually one guy and he is more like a grammar Nazi.
              Formertigeowners.com
              I used to be a member in the past.

Comment

Originally posted by ImaPigDog View Post
                x2.

Unfortunately Samson Towers are big bucks. I have the Samson Razor and it is worth what I paid for it.
                Last edited by MoneyPity; 05-28-2010, 05:26 PM.

Comment

That is two so far this week then, mine also broke, or should I say broke more!

How can something so poorly designed end up on such a fine boat, that doesn't make sense...

Anyway, took it to a welding shop and spent $125 welding it. According to the welder the internal support also broke. So this will probably just be a temporary fix. This appears to have been welded one or two times before.

Plan on getting a good replacement next year, I am leaning towards Sampson's "Razor" or "Blade" but they are very expensive so I am anxious to see how yours turns out with the Monster MT2. Please post pictures when done.
                  Attached Files

Comment

The otherside:
                    Attached Files

Comment

I replaced my metcrap tower with an Xplosion tower and have loved it. I have two Wetsounds 485s on mine with two board racks. No problems at all with all that weight.

Comment

I got the Monster MT2 tower installed over the weekend. Install time was roughly three hours. No major issues. It was a pretty straight forward install.

Here are the pics:
                        Attached Files

Comment

looks nice!

Comment

Wow! That looks really nice! It looks better than the factory did IMO!

Comment

I hate reading this kind of threads because I have an 01 with the Met tower too. so far it has held up. Are you guys pulling tubes or something crazy on the tower and thats what causing all these problems?
                              I'm going old school- I'm bring back the SKURFER!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X