Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changing Transmission Fluid for 1999 Tige 2000i

Hello -
    I have a 1999 2000i Tige. The transmission started slipping when we take off. It usually only happens once or twice when we get started then the problem goes away. I also feel the boat pull back when I am just going along with no wake - so I think that means it is slipping at slow speeds too. We (extremely non mechanically inclined) are getting ready to tackle changing transmission fluid or ideally just filling it up. . I don't have a manual. I have sent a request to Tige factory for one, but so far no luck. From what I have read, we need to put exact same fluid in if we end up just topping it off. That would be my first choice because we just want to keep boat out on the water for another couple weeks and then get it into the shop. I guess if I had the manual I would know what kind of fluid it is. I see ATF, or Drexel II. (or something like that)-

Anyone have a manual for this old boat? Any words of wisdom about just topping it off if we decide to do that?

Thanks,
    Katherine

The transmission you have is a Borg Warner velvet drive 1:1 gear ratio and it requires Dexron III or equivalent, available at all auto parts stores and labeled MD3. Check you fluid level by ensuring the boat is at or close to level as it would sit in the water, removing the t-handle on the transmission, it's red and unscrews and should be on the port side but top of the transmission, wipe the dipstick then insert it fully back into the transmission and remove it, noting the fluid level.
    Fixing everyone elses boat just so I can use mine...

Comment

How did you go Katherine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

long overdue reply! We got some fluid from the store that said ATF, topped it off and drove another month. When we pulled it out, the mechanic though the transmission fluid looked good so I think we successfully fixed the problem. Getting ready to put boat back in the water. Yay!

Comment

Working...
        X