1995 FSLM Need to Replace Steering Helm and Cable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1995 FSLM Need to Replace Steering Helm and Cable

Hi Guys. I've been around for a little while but this is my first time posting. I bought a 1995 FSLM back in 2020. It's a decent old boat with lots of hours. I put on 60 hours last winter and about 30 so far this winter. We winter in Havasu from October to May and this is just a little boat we use to explore the beaches and coves and hang out in the channel.

So on to my question. I need to replace the steering cable and possibly the entire helm. From what I can tell my existing helm is a Morse D290 model with tilt. I can't really find any markings or numbers on the existing helm but from looking at pictures on like it appears to be a D290. The main reason it needs to be replaced is because the steering wheel has quite a bit of slop when turning left and right. Looking at the back of the helm I can't quite tell if that slop is in a worn out cable or worn out teeth on the rotary wheel. It seems like I can find a replacement cable for about $125 or I can replace the entire helm and cable for about $200. I know how to look at my existing cable to find the length.

How do I figure out exactly which helm I have?

Would just changing out the cable eliminate all the slop or will there still be some slop if the rotary wheel is worn?

If I decide to change the entire helm which model and brand would be the easiest to swap into my boat?

Do you have any other recommendations for reducing the slop in the wheel?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Tom

Rotary cable should be red sheathed. If you pull the pin and remove the cable from the helm you can the use it to pull a new fish tape/string thru to the back of the boat.

The remove the tiller end. Once you have it oht there will be a part number somewhere along that red sheathing printed in white. The last two numbers will be the cable length.

If you you diagnose the helm as the issue I'd just switch to a Teleflex rack style helm and cable. Should be easy enough on a Tige as far as I remember. Some older MCs put glass behind the gauges/stereo head unit that require some gutting to fit a rack.

Comment

Originally posted by freeheel4life View Post
      Rotary cable should be red sheathed. If you pull the pin and remove the cable from the helm you can the use it to pull a new fish tape/string thru to the back of the boat.

The remove the tiller end. Once you have it oht there will be a part number somewhere along that red sheathing printed in white. The last two numbers will be the cable length.

If you you diagnose the helm as the issue I'd just switch to a Teleflex rack style helm and cable. Should be easy enough on a Tige as far as I remember. Some older MCs put glass behind the gauges/stereo head unit that require some gutting to fit a rack.

Thank you for the suggestions. I will probably pull the back cover off the helm this week and see if I can tell where the slop is coming from. I like your suggestion of a rack style help. I've looked under the dash and it seems like I have plenty of room for a rack style system. I do like the tilt wheel so I would prefer a rack with tilt. The driving area is already fairly cramped so I don't want a steering wheel that will be any closer to the driver. I'm not a big guy and I still need the seat all the way back to be comfortable.

PS. My cable doesn't appear to be pinned like most of the helms I see on Google. It appears that I need to remove the rear cover of the steering mechanism to get access and release the cable. I'm sure it will be very greasy when I extract the cable from the back of the helm. I also assume that I will want to feed the new cable from the gront toward the back when reinstalling the new cable.

Thanks for commenting.

Comment

AKIQPilot I can dig up all the part numbers for the teleflex tilt helm and rack conversion/cable #s if you'd like
        ​​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by freeheel4life View Post
          AKIQPilot I can dig up all the part numbers for the teleflex tilt helm and rack conversion/cable #s if you'd like
          That would be awesome. Thanks so much.

Comment

Hey @AFIQpilot, I gor busy at the shop today. Will get you part numbers first thing tomorrow morning

Comment

SS14117 is the cable and rack assembly as a kit
              SHT91610 is the tilt assembley

Comment

I’ve been searching for some decent stuff on the subject and haven't had any luck up until this point, You just got a new biggest fan!..
                voip phone system service provider

Comment

Working...
                X