Muffler Knocking Sound

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Muffler Knocking Sound

We just installed a FAE on our 2005 22i and first time out afterward, there was a new knocking sound coming from just the passenger side muffler under the floor. You can feel the vibrations with your hand in just that side. Nothing appears to be hitting it and the sound did not increase with RPM, just stayed pretty random. The motor sounded normal. Is it possible the FAE is causing something or just some other coincidence problem? What might the problem be? The fibreglass deteriorating or a baffle loose?

Disregard the water in the bilge had some rain before and the surf ballast in the rear pulled all the water to the back

FAE strikes again!!! As we installed a bunch of their units on older boats we found a spike in broken mufflers, broken fiberglass tubing and other broken pieces of the fiberglass exhaust system occurred immediately following installation but only AFTER the boat was launched. It turns out, the fiberglass in the exhaust system is not capable of handling the water pressure that occurs from start up exhaust pressure and pieces of the fiberglass mufflers and baffles break off or split altogether when the engine starts. We usually end up replacing the entirety of the fiberglass with exhaust hose instead but some go to stainless tubing or just replace the fiberglass. Be careful and get it done soon, the broken piece can block the exhaust while underway at speed and cause the muffler to split from excessive pressure, flooding the boat and sinking it.
    Fixing everyone elses boat just so I can use mine...

Comment

FAE sells SS muffler pipes as well. I wasn't having an issues with my fiberglass pipes, but replaced mine as a precaution.
      https://www.freshairexhaust.com/home/mufflers/
      Mike Allen, Tigé owner since 1997

Comment

Yikes! That last sentence pushed my pucker factor to 10 and it's not even my boat. I haven't heard of this problem before with FAE, but maybe it's just that I haven't been looking. Good luck to KT711!

Comment

[mention]boatwakes [/mention] do the newer boats have fiberglass mufflers? Seems like my 2019 R23 has a rubber hose Material?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
          X