1999 21i alarm sounding and stalling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1999 21i alarm sounding and stalling

Hi everyone, my 21i was running bad when I put it in the water yesterday then the engine alarm sounded and died and would not start after. I was just putting around in the no wake zone. Since I have made sure fuel is getting to the fuel filter and it is. The boat starts now and will idle in the driveway. But as soon as I give it some RPMs the alarm sounds and I just shut it down. All the shops are crazy busy right now so I’m looking for and advice. Thanks

What engine do you have?? Multiport injected merc??

Comment

Yes, the MPI merc.

Comment

if you dont have Diacom or another way to pull the code off of the ECM Id try pulling one sensor plug off at a time and see if it keeps running. Id start with the MAP sensor(I know it sounds ds crazy but I've seen it). Would also get a fuel pressure gauge on the rail and see what FP is there.

Comment

IAC is the other one

Comment

Thanks. I try this. I have to figure out where the sensors are. Also do know if there is a cheap scanner available for this motor?

Comment

Not sure what cheap is. You have to know which MEFI system it is.
              You can get the cable to connect to a laptop for around $200. http://mefiburn.com/mefiscan.asp
              A simple code reader $100. https://www.michiganmotorz.com/codem...er-p-2459.html
              A paper clip and a multimeter. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSEwwa6D2jM
              Mike Allen, Tigé owner since 1997

Comment

Literally, I had the same problem on my '99 yesterday, waiting 2 weeks to have someone take a look. I will let you know what they say, in the meantime, please update me if you find a simple solution.

Comment

This may be something you’ve tried but when was the impeller last changed? Possibly an over heating safety cut out. Other issue we’ve had is vapour lock in the fuel rail-was it a hot day?

Comment

So I was able to fix the issue on my own. If you can locate your gas tank, there is a metal L bracket coming out with a tube leading your gas to your engine. My metal "anti-siphon valve/ valve check " bracket coming out of the gas tank" was not working as there is a metal ball in there that can get clogged or something. you can go to most boat supplies stores and they carry a new brass connector and a tube that goes into the gas tank it was $38. The link below looks similar to the one I purchased, and the other link is the connector from that into the tank.. It works great now. Make sure you pull your old part and go into the boat supply store to make sure the fittings on both ends are correct, there are many different sizes. Super easy fix if you have access to your gas tank. Took less than 2 minutes to install.
                    https://www.boats.net/product/mercur...CABEgIMwPD_BwE
                    https://www.walmart.com/ip/Moeller-0...SABEgJ0pPD_BwE

Comment

Hot dang. Glad it fixed it. Havent chased an anti siphon valve for a while. It is a nice cheap part to start with too before throwing fuel pumps at it. Glad you got it fixed!!

Comment

Ito3768 how did you determine that was the fault?

Comment

Fuel pressure test will show low but usually under load after a few minutes. There's easy access to those and if you're suspect of it throw a brass NPT to barb adapter in there to test. DO NOT LEAVE IT THERE AFTER YOU TEST!!! There needs to be an anti-siphon valve for safety. However, the reported symptoms are beep then dies. Please post your serial number so I can look up if you have a fuel pressure sensor. Theres a set of serial numbers that do and will sound the alarm when fuel pressure takes a dive. Considering he said he was putting around, I doubt anti-siphon but would follow up on the IAC. If any of you are in Southern California, I have the computer for all marine EFI systems and will scan free for site members.
                          Fixing everyone elses boat just so I can use mine...

Comment

Ito3768 and boatwakes. I have similar issues and trying to learn how this boat/engine works. I pulled the L joint (picture attached). It doesn't seem to have any anti-siphon. I can blow through it both directions. So, I'm assuming this isn't my issue but I need to replace it. I'm running a Marine Power 5.7 with I believe a MEFI 4 engine. Boat 2004 21i.

Second thought, could this be my issue as would this keep the fuel line from staying primed?

Will any valve check that fits work?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            Last edited by lexpression; 07-06-2020, 02:32 AM.

Comment

ABYC standards require an anti-siphon device to be installed and it looks like someone has already replaced with with the barb. Here is the part https://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-...SABEgJ-0PD_BwE

However, I don't think thats your problem because once fuel is flowing and the engine is running, there's no reason it would lose prime.
                              Fixing everyone elses boat just so I can use mine...

Comment

Working...
                              X