2001 20i TAPS Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2001 20i TAPS Problem

TAPS on my 2001 20i is not responding at all. I depress the switch on the throttle and get nothing. What should I check I have read that there is a fuse behind the dash somewhere?? How is it powered because I just installed a new stereo so maybe I didn't get the wires connected to the battery. As of right now I have the main +,- power cables and then one set of small auxiliary cables. Should I have anything else?

My Taps ceases to function when the battery cables start to get corroded or the battery is low. Def check your battery charge before digging to far as this could be a simple voltage issue.

Comment

voltage should be good... gauge says so and the stereo and other accessories perform just fine

Comment

The relay up under the dash is a common item to fail. Also the wires leading to the switch through the handle are small and frail. Check the taps unit by putting power directly to the unit and see if it moves at all. If it moves, then you need to go futher up the line to the wires/switches/relay etc...

Also, if you were messing with the wires under the dash, you may have upset the delicate balance under there. Many are daisy chained together so if you remove one connection it's a chain event that more goes out.

search old posts, I had put up a more detailed explanation on how to check the system out.....there's lots of old threads to read for help.

good luck.
        Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Comment

i tried the search... I will try some different search combos and see what I come up with

Comment

ok played with it for a little bit last night... its not the push button breakers on my dash... But there is a little black box underneath the dash that everytime I push the button the black box CLICKS.... I tried to find the fluid res. but could not figure out how to get to it... but if it was low fluid I would think the motor would still engage just very slowly.... the motor is not turning on at all... whats my next step to look? Jason I never found your detailed explaination on how to troubleshoot the system

Comment

I'm also having TAPS problems of zero response when the buttons on the throttle are pushed. During transport of my boat, the allen set-screw on my throttle handle was loose, so the handle was flopping all over the place, which leads me to believe that there is a good chance that those dainty little TAPS-switch wires got messed up. When I trace those wires under the dash, I find a red, white, and black that appear to be coming from the throttle switch. Is there a way that I can get a cheapo automotive-switch to just hook up to those three wires to test the system that way? I don't really care if the TAPS is on the throttle-handle, and would be fine with mounting a button on the dash to operate the TAPS plate. Any thoughts?

Comment

I have also read about people saying that they "jumped" the wires to test the pump and plate actuation. Can I just jump the wires under the dash to determine whether my problem is the switch? The tiny wires that come from the throttle rocker switch each have a splice with a clean blade-connector before they get to that little "brain" piece, so which wires would I jump to test it?

Comment

Working...
                X