Still chasing this Gremlin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Still chasing this Gremlin

Hello all, thought I would post to see if anyone had some ideas on this Gremlin that I've been chasing since the end of last season.

Boat: 2005 22i, MarinePower 340HP

Previous Symptoms: Began as the boat dying mid cruise, wouldn't start but would turn over. Found a burned fuel pump fuse and replaced fuel pump relay. Boat worked fine for a few days. Then, wouldn't start, Low pressure pump wouldn't turn on with key on. Switched out relay and boat worked fine. I've continued replacing the relay as needed until a week ago. Boat started, then died, then wouldn't start again (turned over, just no start). Switched out relay, no go. Pulled fuse and put same fuse back in (Fuel pump fuse near relay), fired right up.

Yesterday: Cleaned contacts of said fuse, replaced fuse, boat fired up. As I'm backing out of the slip, noticed no gauges are working, perfectpass not powered up, TAPS won't adjust, boat running. Pulled back in and left the boat running while I crawled under the helm to look at the wiring. Jiggled a few harnesses that connected to the gauges (fuel gauge specifically) and the boat died. Wouldn't start, no low pressure pump, no chirp from PerfectPass, no stereo. Left key in on position and crawled under helm again. Wiggled the harness, chime on, low pressure pump fired up, stereo on. Wiggled some more, everything shut off. Pushed connection harder and everything returned to on.

Now the weirder part...pulled out and slowly leaving the cove to tube. Stereo on, PerfectPass shuts down and restarts. 10 seconds into startup, perfectpass shuts down and restarts. 10 seconds later, perfectpass shuts down and restarts.....you get the idea. Shut off stereo.....PerfectPass starts up and remains on. Turn stereo back on, perfectpass begins the pattern again. Shut off stereo, everything is normal.

IDEAS? Thinking there is so much going wrong that is has to be the harness but could be a ground also.

Had kind of the same thing happen on my 06 20i when I was working on it, when I turned on the stereo everything went crazy with the perfect pass cycling on and off, etc. I cleaned the contacts and tightened the nut on the battery ground terminal and it fixed it all.

Comment

My 2000 21v had the failure pron relay board that gave me similar fits. It's mounted up under the helm. Does you boat have a similar relay board? Either way, you have a wire connection gone bad. I'd start with the wires at the key switch and see if any are loose. Them move on from there. You'll find a wire that's bad.

Comment

I'll look for the relay board next weekend when I'm back down there. I figured I'd have to trace wires just hoping for the instant help that is often found here Thanks!

Comment

Check grounds at the ground bus bar under the helm. Also check the white 12pin connector that goes to the gauges and switches. Look for corrosion on the pins.
          Oh Yeah!

Comment

Exactly as above, disconnect and reconnect the engine harness to gauge harness. Its a round connector usually with a hose clamp around it and is located on the top or near the top of the engine, usually around the bell housing.
            Fixing everyone elses boat just so I can use mine...

Comment

Working...
            X