20i wake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

20i wake

Im looking into getting a used 20i,ive found one that I really like but the problem is its the middle of winter so I dont know what kind of wake this thing throws.Does anybody have one that they use for boarding.Is the wake as wide as the 21i.Any info would be great.
    joe

I don't have an answer for you u but you may want to check profiles to see if anyone has a switch i there about the same size, if someone does they could tell you.
    http://hometown.aol.com/bankshf

Comment

I have been behind a 98 or 97 tige. I believe it's like the switchs now. It has a nice shaped wake. It's not huge, but with some ballast it's AWESOME!! Just my .02
      Originally posted by G-MONEY
      It hurts me to say it but go OU but only for this weekend!!!!

Comment

wake

I have 03 20i.....I like it alot. I havent really messed w/weight last season. I like the wake it is real clean. It is also great for skiing if you slalom. I think you should be able to weight it and get a bigger wake.
        look at some of the weight distribution on the other boats and it should be a good pattern for you.

Comment

We have an '02 20i. We love the boat, but the wake is only OK. For slalom (~35mph, TAPS at 1), it is very flat, but somewhat on the hard side. Visually it looks awesome, but you can tell how hard it is when you hit it as you cross the wake cutting on a hard edge. My friend's 92 Mastercraft ProStar 190 definitely has a softer wake.

For wakeboarding it is again OK. I've found that I get a better shaped wake at 18 mph with the TAPS in the slalom position, rather than the wakeboard position. With the TAPS up in the 5-8 range, the wake tends to break and get a bit sloppy. It is much cleaner with the TAPS at 1-3. We put the passengers in the back and it is a pretty good, intermediate size wake.

Overall for the type of skiing/boarding we do, it is a perfect boat. I mention my friend's Mastercraft, and while his wake is better for slaloming (my favorite), mine is still pretty darn good. And he can't touch us for wakeboarding. We looked at the 21i and 22i (really liked the 21i), but with the wide beam, it's slalom wake is pretty bad. Our neighbors have an '02 22i, and it pretty much sucks to ski behind. The wake for boarding, tho', is huge and has a great shape.

Bottom line, the 20i is a great boat, accomodating skiers and boarders. I don't think there is a boat out there that does both with excellence, but this one does them both pretty well. A great family boat! Put it this way, I wouldn't trade it for the world!

Comment

One more thing. The guys at Tige Watersports in Corona, CA, had this suggestion for weighting it for a bigger wake. Put a fat sack between the drivers seat and front passenger seat, then two along the sides toward the rear. TAPS at 1-3. Haven't tried it myself.

Comment

OK, one more item. My '02 20i came with a 4 blade prop. I noticed all the new ones now come with the Acme NC machined 3 blade props. On the recommendation of both Acme and Tige Customer Service, I bought one, but have not tried it yet. I don't know if there will be any inpact on the wake or not, particularly the "breaking" effect I get at low speeds with the TAPS at 5-8 but I'm hoping it cleans up a bit. Or maybe softening the wake at slalom speed. Anyone else know?

Comment

no, you're not going to see a difference in the effect on the wake w/ a prop switch, but your acceleration will be better, and you may get more top end. Those Acme props are bad to the bone!

Anyways, about adding sacks to the 20i... the wake is breaking w/ TAPS up because the nose of the boat is coming up too high. Start with about 350 lbs in the front w/ TAPS all the way up and go up from there. You should have a big fat wake in no time. Its all about weight distribution w/ these boats!
                Freude am Fahren.

Comment

Thanks for the input! I've been wondering what exactly will happen when I change the prop. Still waiting for a bit warmer weather to try it out. Also, thanks for the clarification on the weighting. I'll try it first by moving the passengers up front. Now that you mention it, I believe that toward the end of the season I was doing that, and the wake did clean up some.

Comment

Working...
                  X