Surf XL Ballast

100% fronts + 160# lead
    100% Port + 160# lead
    25% Starboard + 80# lead
    transom storage 120# lead

Port side ballast bag 1000lbs

Taps @ 3 Speed 13mph

https://youtu.be/6ZQwWGfoL0A
    Last edited by Ironrequiem; 08-24-2018, 11:56 PM.

nice wave. any pics of the surf gate?

Comment

Kick that offside weight up to around 75%. I think you’ll like what you find. That’ll also get your wake shaper further into the water.

Comment

What kind of suction cups are you using to make it stick. Mine slips right off the back of the hull?

Comment

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007VL3CB0..._4xfMBbAA7X2FN

There are a lot of similar ones on Amazon.

There are a lot of surf gates on ebay using the same suction handles.

If you already have a gate you may just have to try to find that one location. I pretty much just use the front suction cup and have no issues with it moving.

Comment

To me the boat looks like it needs more list to get rid of that line that you keep carving in too. 13mph also seems quite fast as well.
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Ironrequiem View Post
              Short Clip of 2015 R20 wave

DIY Gate starboard
              Surf XL Ballast

100% fronts + 160# lead
              100% Port + 160# lead
              25% Starboard + 80# lead
              transom storage 120# lead

Port side ballast bag 1000lbs

Taps @ 3 Speed 13mph

https://youtu.be/6ZQwWGfoL0A
              Good looking wave. Are you saying you have an additional port side bag of 1000lbs or that your port rear is 1000lbs? I agree with a couple other comments here. More offside ballast gets the suck gate more into the water=better wave strength and cleanliness. It will also increase the size of your wave. We run 100% surf side(upgraded rears from Mikes) with 50-70% offside depending upon people ballast with taps at 4 or 5, AVX 6-9, and 10.8-11 mph on our '15 RZR

Comment

Thanks Jet, BC and Rbuss...
                The original 600lb bag out and replaced with 1000lb bag port side. No AVX on my R20.

Trying to add more weight on offside without losing surfside list, but my gate is a bit higher that some due to the concave side of the R20's.
                There is a flat spot further back and lower where the hull becomes a chine...had gate there before all the additional weight and did not work as well but I am going to revisit that location and see how that looks with the weight now...

I am still playing with different locations for the gate, more list and more offside weight.

The best part is experimenting causes surf and watertime!!!

Thanks to all for input.

Comment

From looking online it looks as if I may have a bigger flat spot here than what you may but it's where I stick my gate on my VE. Usually about 18" from the rear or back far enough that the spray coming off the gate doesn't go across the surf side wave. I also angle mine down. Again, if your flat spot is narrower you may not be able to angle it as much.

I've tried different combinations of running flat this summer and I've personally found that I am back to full list with some offside weight. Even running just wasn't working in my opinion and I didn't like that line I mentioned. If you fill your offside full you can start dumping while moving until that line disappears and you get a nice clean face. The one thing I noticed the most with using the gate is that it did help clean up the wave on the surf side and I got a heck of a lot more push so I can get quite far back now. Other than that, I'm still a fan of mostly list based on my VE.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Yes, that is the flat spot I was talking about.

It is much narrower on the R20 and puts the gate further back which is just wide enough for the suction cups just before the transom.
                    I am going to try that spot again this weekend with some weight changes and see how it does.

But the gate definitely helps clean up my wave !!

Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                    X