Funny looking boat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Funny looking boat

Sorry for the clickbait. Always love something different. Customer is hauling car behind uhaul during the move and wanted to protect it. Laid down a TON of pre wrap to protect the paint.
    Attached Files

That is very cool!!

Comment

Great idea.

Comment

Pretty cool! Who made it?

Comment

That's a VW Karmann Ghia. Didn't ask him what year. Hes in the process of restoring. Obviously you can see the paint and engine have had money put into them. Underneath pretty much everything has been gone through already. Looks like all new suspension and running gear. Also had a custom bent exhaust. Hed done some other stuff in cab like stereo. I would guess interior is next step for him. Said he was trailering it around 1500 miles. Also was missing some glass pieces and bumpers when compared to original. I haven't looked into it but Ive heard parts for these things are like unicorns and leprechauns and aren't cheap.

Comment

Originally posted by freeheel4life View Post
            That's a VW Karmann Ghia. Didn't ask him what year. Hes in the process of restoring. Obviously you can see the paint and engine have had money put into them. Underneath pretty much everything has been gone through already. Looks like all new suspension and running gear. Also had a custom bent exhaust. Hed done some other stuff in cab like stereo. I would guess interior is next step for him. Said he was trailering it around 1500 miles. Also was missing some glass pieces and bumpers when compared to original. I haven't looked into it but Ive heard parts for these things are like unicorns and leprechauns and aren't cheap.
            Interesting. I could so easily get into old classics and hot rods....

Comment

good looking car and dual webbers ftw....
              2012 22ve.. RIP 4/17
              2014 Z3.. Surf away

Comment

On an interesting side note, I find it ironic that he is going through the efforts to keep his car safe, and yet he put it on a uhaul trailer. Paden, do this guy a huge favor and at least check the play in the hubs. I bet bearings haven't been packed since 1962.

Comment

^^^LOL Josh. I should give em a shake. I don't know if you saw but he already didn't trust the wheel webbing straps and has 2 4ft endless nylons attached to front axle in case the uhaul straps fail.

Comment

Yeah, Uhaul is complete junk. We rented their biggest truck one time to move my mother from AZ to UT. About 5 miles into our trip we noticed smoke from the rear end. A wheel seal was shot. It had obviously been leaking for a LONG time. We returned to the store we picked it up from and told them the issue. They were just closing and wanted nothing to do with us. Since we were, "on the road" the only thing we could do was call the 800 number. We waited and waited. After an hour and a half we gave up. I went after my tools and started into the job right in their parking lot. Got the seal out and went to Napa for a replacement. Just as we got the new seal back in their service guy showed up with only a few spare tires in the back of his "service" truck. He took one look at us and said, "looks like you got it covered" and left. We made it to UT. I made up an invoice and sent it in to Uhaul for reimbursement, to the tune of $1500. I made out like a king on that one.
                    Haven't used them again after that one.

Comment

Nice looking Ghia. 1776 w/ dual Weber 40s. That’s a fast car. At least through the first 3 gears it is. I had a buddy with that same setup in his Ghia and we pissed off a lot of muscle car guys, of which there is no shortage of around here. Also an amazing car in the snow and ice. We had a freak storm one year where it snowed like 6” that day and then rained really hard right before the temperature dropped below freezing. There ended up being 2” of solid ice on the road. Everybody stuck or crashed. FWD trucks spinning all four on flat ground. Total F’n chaos and we were out in the Ghia cruising around like it was dry out. No problems whatsoever. I’ll never forget that. He now has an extremely rare ‘66 panel w/slider. We think it might have been loaded with parts and shipped over from Germany. It has been in his family since new. His uncle (a notorious San Clemente surfer) had it most of its life. My buddy got his hands on it finally and it should be just about done with being restored.
                      You'll get your chance, smart guy.

Comment

Working...
                      X