Apache Lake AZ pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Apache Lake AZ pics

The scenery is one reason I keep going back....

IMG_3926.jpg
    Attached Files
    Last edited by dj2; 07-03-2017, 05:18 AM.

Dj2, is this the closest access to tucson? I'm thinking of moving there for a job and was curious how far the closest lake was.

Comment

There is a small lake about 45 min south of Tucson but you can only tow Mon-Thurs. In about 1hr 45 min to 2 1/2 hours you can be at any of 5 other lakes (Canyon, Saguaro, Bartlett, Pleasant or Roosevelt) This lake takes the longest as it is on a dirt road (Apache Trail) that runs between Roosevelt and Canyon Lakes. Roosevelt is the largest lake and the warmest but due to the location and size can get pretty windy at times. Roosevelt is accessible through Globe AZ and takes just over 2 hours from Tucson. I keep my Toyhauler at Apache all summer and just have them pull it into an RV spot for me on the weekends I go up here.

Comment

dj2 nailed it but thought I'd throw some more info in....Just a heads up they do allow towing on Fridays at Patagonia...if there is a holiday on Monday I have seen them not allow it. That being said, midweek there is barely anybody there at all and it is a good time. Being that you may be used to Mead or Havasu this is only a 250 acre lake, nice scenery and at 4500 ft there are actually trees in the campground. If you are into hotels and boating Lake Pleasant has nice accommodations within 20 minutes of the marina. We make the drive to Parker Strip at least twice a year and just got back from a 5 day trip. Being that most all of these lakes dj2 mentioned are state parks and national forest there aren't a lot of nice accommodations close....unless you have a motorhome/RV. All the drive times will vary depending on what part of Tucson you live in. I live south in Sahuarita so I take 3 hours to get to Canyon, Pleasant, Bartlett and don't go to the others. Happy 4th to all....

Comment

Apache and Roosevelt have limited hotel rooms at the lakes, not sure about Roosevelt but Apache has about 40 rooms total most of which are reserved for the holiday weekends by the end of February every year. You can get hotel rooms in Globe and drive to Roosevelt in about 30 minutes. You can also launch in Apache at 3-mile wash if you have 4X4 about 5 min past the Roosevelt Dam.
          Both lakes have a lot of camping sites.
          Parker is fun as well as Havasu but both are a couple hours farther than Phoenix. I live in NW Tucson so I am about 30-40 min closer to Phoenix than jimidemo.

I may have to give Patagonia a try on a Friday one of these weeks, if it's not too busy it might be a decent day trip.

Comment

Thanks for the info all. Just trying to determine if it's worth keeping the boat if a move to Tucson pans out.

Comment

Depends on your dedication to lake trips. We go 2-3 weekends a month from Labor Day to Memorial Day. We leave Friday after work, get camp set up and go to bed, spend all Day Saturday on the water and half of Sunday before heading home. On holiday weekends or special occasions (birthdays etc) we spend a 3rd day there so we get 2 1/2 days on the water.

Comment

Working...
              X