R20 Surf Night

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

R20 Surf Night

I had one of those epic summer evening surf nights last week and a couple of pictures to share. Who says a little R20 can't give an incredible surf!!! Had the bow ballast full, port ballast full at 750#, Taps setting on 1 and cruise set at 10.2 mph. One of those moments that keeps you coming back every chance you can. Enjoy!!!!Tige R20 Surf Night June 29 2016 Pro Ballast Taps 1 10 mph.jpgTige R20 Surf Night June 29 2016 Pro Ballast Taps 1 10 mph GR's Turn.jpgTige R20 Surf Night June 29 2016.jpg

R20 Surf Night

Wow great looking wave for any boat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Is that with Taps 3? I'm bouncing back and forth between a modestly outfitted R21 or a pretty decked out R20 (both 2016's). The wife feels the R20 is plenty for our family but I'm a little worried about the "one more footitis" inherent in owning a boat...

Comment

Thanks for your note and this boat is a Taps 2 set up (2012 model year). I have the OEM upgraded ballast kit in the boat and am running 500# in the bow and 750# in each of the stern lockers. My decision on the R20 was based on price/performance vs an upgraded model (RZR). I have modified the boat by upgrading the Wet sounds sound system by adding additional amps and speakers - I have 3800 watts over 4 amplifiers, 2 x 10" FA sub woofers, 4 x 8" tower speakers and 6 x 6.5" cabin speakers (the upgrades on the sound system were done over two years and incremental cost very reasonable as I got sale pricing on what I bought - but never compromised on the brand or spec; this was a significant cost savings). I also upgraded the motor by pulling it after the first season and modified it from the PCM HP303 to the same block that I had professionally stroked which delivers 380 HP (good fuel consumption) and ported the factory exhaust so the engine can breath - again a significant cost saving over buying a larger engine. I had custom graphics put on the boat which makes it unique and again working with the right companies in the off season was able to keep the costs down. All in I am still less than what I would have paid for the RZR (which by the way is a beautiful boat) but I have more power (vs 343 engine), more sound, custom graphics and every bit as many smiles as anyone else out on the lake. Take your time when spec'ing your boat and look at what you really want to do with it for run - for me surfing was my focus and you can see by the wake I have a respectable wave to play on. Good luck with your decision and if it helps I am a believer in Tige hulls and customer service.

Comment

That's great. I can get that wave on my 13 R20 and then it like disappeers with the slightest adjustment it seems. I get a real clean wave for one run and then it goes to sh$t, then I get it back 5 runs later.

Comment

I was having that problem 2 seasons ago and then changed my tactics. I kept the set up simple which is always full bow ballast both sides, full stern ballast for the side being surfed and Taps on 1. This set up consistently gives the great wake and i fine tune it with my speed control - usually between 9.8 and 10.4 mph. My boat being old school doesn't have the touch screen so I just started keeping a log book of the settings, how many people in the boat, how much fuel in boat, etc. Eventually all the data led me to the simple set up. Glad to hear you are getting an awesome wake when it is set up correctly - these are amazing smaller boats and people underestimate hat they can do. Enjoy your summer surfing!!!

Comment

DRJones any issues in regards to people being crowded on the 20ft? We were playing around in a Z1 and R20 the other day and I won't lie, the pickle fork nose does make a huge difference in space up front....

Comment

Working...
              X