Everything I learned putting New SeaDek on my 2011 RZ2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Everything I learned putting New SeaDek on my 2011 RZ2

So, my RZ2 Swim platform pad was peeling up, and I decided to Do the full Seadek installation, except for the walkthru. I did front steps, Swim Deck, rear transom, and the gunwale.

1 - SeaDek vs Others: The primary reason I chose SeaDek is their large library of existing shapes to fit all Tige Models. Gatorstep required the purchase ($70) of a template kit, where SeaDek could pull from their records for each hull type, by Year. They had several ready to go for the 2011 RZ2 from previous buyers.

2 - The process - I wrote a note to the main contact number at SeaDek, and within a few days Tina Ackerman (cust service rep) contacted me, and we went back and forth via email. One day, she just called the phone number in my email so we could nail it down... glad she did. You could email her directly and she will get back to you: TinaAckerman@Seadek.com 321-632-4466 Phone.

3 - They recommend you purchase the Mylar printout ($10+shipping). This is TOTALLY worth it, as what Ifound out was that the pre-existing templates were created from the templates of previous folks, and the shapes and the direction of the grain, and teak direction, may not be right. Pay for the Mylar, tape it to your boat, and be sure to DOUBLE CHECK. Mine was all messed up.

4 - Tige's are not symmetric. The left/right bow step pads, were significantly different shapes (by like 0.5 inch) on the mylar sheets. But they fit perfect. That said, the left/righ rear transom lockers were also different, but did not fit right as the dude who originally bought them must have been drunk. I fixed them and they came out perfect.

5 - They no longer will put a TIGE logo on the swim deck pad due to copyright infringement. I tried and tried but they said No, only Tige can do that. Made me sad, but there it is.

6 - For the Teak, If you run the grain sideways, they can do a a full swim deck pad. If you run it for-aft, like mine, they make you split it (this is a new requirement). Something to do with cracking when it ships. Anyway, mine came out great split with a 3/4 inch gap.

7 - Old Pad Removal: Watch the Seadek Videos on You Tube. Must Must Must. It takes a lot longer than the video implies. Just deal with it. Lots of Acetone and a razor blade work great... be careful with that razor.

8 - New installation - Watch the VIDEOS. Do it just like they said. One Gotcha- the pads actually stretch, so don't stretch them while you put it down, it will make the edge uneven where you grab it and are pulling it.

9- Gunwale pads. Mine are perfect rectangles 26x3 inches long. However, since it stretches, you can carefully follow the curve of the gunwale, and they will follow the curve exactly... see the photo attached. Had I known I could do that... I would have made them even LONGER... like 32-36 inches. I thought 26 inches was the largest rectangle I could fit on the curving surface... but I was Wrong! It stretches really nicely to follow the curve exactly! Just be careful and take your time... its easy... but one shot is all you get. One stick and stuck for good. No Redo once you stick it.

10- All my pads came out perfect for the 2011 RZ2. I attached the drawing from SEADEK for reference (tiny PDF link at bottom of last photo). End Result Looks Great!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by AJTundra; 05-20-2016, 01:12 PM. Reason: Typos because I am an idiot

Looks great! I'm seriously about a year out from doing this as well. My carpet is finally wearing out after 5years and leaving rubber residue. Will they at least do some tige graphics instead of logos?
    2010 Tige RZ2 "Fully Loaded" 650hrs
    Surf Ballast & Enzo Bag - 1235 prop

Comment

AJTundra, looks great! Thanks for sharing. I may contact Tina as I was considering buying a small piece of Seadek that would match my grey floor and other steps in our R21 to make a movable step that would sit on top of part of the rear vinyl bench for when passengers step in.

This would be to avoid people stepping directly on my seats (since Tige didn't include a step to get all the way in the boat). It would have grippy material on the bottom so it would t slide and the Seadek on the top to it was consistent with the rest of the interior.

Anyone know if Seadek did the R21 floors, etc or was it a different manufacturer?

Still confused why Tige would have the swim deck, step up, and walk through all done with the Seadek but not protect the rear bench vinyl. I know that was a big (and expensive) tear spot on our old boat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

oh man thanks for sharing, I just emailed seadek yesterday to inquire about my boat, my swim deck is good so just wanna do the rear hatches the walk thru and gunnel cause kids always jump from there. Could you let me know what a price roughly would be pls either here or pm, Like I said I don't need the deck. Looks great

Comment

@VicSeek:
          They will do anything that you provide. However, sometimes there is an upcharge if it is complex. The caveat is that if they "believe" it is copyrighted by someone else, they won't do it. I got the impression they got in big trouble. I don't think it was Tige, but some manufacturer got pissed off, and now they won't do it for anyone. I asked if they would do it if I got the "okay" from Tige, but that started to get too complex and I gave up... I needed to move forward and it was not super important for me. Most of the pics you find online (Seadek on a Tige) are factory stuff from Tige, or from a few years ago, so they have the logos.
          Last edited by AJTundra; 05-19-2016, 02:43 PM.

Comment

Oh... I wrote that I attached the PDF from TIGE, I meant to say that was the PDF from SeaDek.... I edited the above to fix that They send you the drawings, but the dimensions are kinda useless. Better to have them send those mylar printouts and then tape the sections to your boat. It's the Only way to be sure. They price the printout at cost to ensure that problems are eliminated. Can't stress that step enough. They sent me several drawings from other boats, and for a 2011 RZ2 they had drawings with the walkthrough, various gunwale pads, and all floor sections, and a few others I couldn't figure out. They have these (in combination) for all Tige models and years starting in 2007 (I believe).
            Last edited by AJTundra; 05-19-2016, 02:24 PM.

Comment

@nmriordan -
              Just Send a note to Tina - She will find out if they have it for the R21. They likely do, whether Tige did them at Factory or not.

Comment

@dukes -
                So, at first the quote for what you see in the photos was $640. But, after I ordered, the final engineer was able to put all pieces onto one Sheet for milling, and they dropped the price (without asking) to about $460, which included all shipping. Again, Tina is great. The Mylar test sheets were like $17 shipped, which is a must (did I mention that?). since I got the Teak, that is more expensive, not sure what the price is for the plain colored materials, but I know it is less.

Comment

Originally posted by AJTundra View Post
                  @dukes -
                  So, at first the quote for what you see in the photos was $640. But, after I ordered, the final engineer was able to put all pieces onto one Sheet for milling, and they dropped the price (without asking) to about $460, which included all shipping. Again, Tina is great. The Mylar test sheets were like $17 shipped, which is a must (did I mention that?). since I got the Teak, that is more expensive, not sure what the price is for the plain colored materials, but I know it is less.
                  So, if someone wants to do this....if I have read and understood everything, you are saying that the Mylar Test Sheets are a good thing?
                  "I think I am pretty smart for an idiot"

Comment

Dukes. Do it! That just makes it easier for me next year when I get around to it.lol. I want to do the walkway and rear hatches too. Part of me wants to glass all three of my rear hatches closed, remove the hinges and do one large mat across the back. I never use those hatches anyway.

Comment

I was hoping you would do it first

Comment

thanks

Comment

Great write up. I actually went the Gatorstep route because they are somewhat local and I had a horrible Seadek experience from many years ago. Seadek still makes a great product and mine has held up very well. I choose to do a new platform pad and the walk through and transom doors. One email was all it took and about 1 week wait time. I have not installed it yet as the weather has been wet and my boat is on a lift which will make the old Seadek removal a real pain. I will post up when installed, I did the scraped grey and had them remove the Tige logo on the proof as I wanted it plain. My guess is Gatorstep can do any Tige logo as they are the Supplier to the factory boats now.

Comment

Originally posted by majestic View Post
                            Great write up. I actually went the Gatorstep route because they are somewhat local and I had a horrible Seadek experience from many years ago. Seadek still makes a great product and mine has held up very well. I choose to do a new platform pad and the walk through and transom doors. One email was all it took and about 1 week wait time. I have not installed it yet as the weather has been wet and my boat is on a lift which will make the old Seadek removal a real pain. I will post up when installed, I did the scraped grey and had them remove the Tige logo on the proof as I wanted it plain. My guess is Gatorstep can do any Tige logo as they are the Supplier to the factory boats now.
                            I would like to see that. I almost went with the grey due to my boat colors. I also suspect that perhaps SeaDek won't do the logos because their competitor is the factory supplier now, and who knows what crazy rules might come with that... like that Gator may be the "only Supplier" allowed to use the Tige copyrighted logos. That kind of BS. What year is your boat? I ask because Gator told me they did not have ready made templates for the 2011 RZ2, only newer models. There are subtle (but significant) differences for the platform, walk thru, transom doors, and even the front step pads, so I would have had to template everything out... or so they said.

Comment

Originally posted by Dandy View Post
                              So, if someone wants to do this....if I have read and understood everything, you are saying that the Mylar Test Sheets are a good thing?
                              So, when push comes to shove, at the end of the day, when all is said and done, if there is one take-away,... IMHO I would recommend... (wait for it)... "Get the mylar test sheets!". Period, end of discussion. (unless you don't want to of course, which is fine, and your choice in the end. I can't tell you what to do, but if it were me...)

Comment

Working...
                              X