Teaching My 4-1/2 y.o. to Surf

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Teaching My 4-1/2 y.o. to Surf

We had a great time out on the lake this weekend. Lake Conroe was not a bathtub for once - and the water was relatively flat for a weekend. Since there wasn't a lot of traffic out, I thought I'd give teaching my 4-1/2 year old how to surf. We got up on the first attempt and she kept her balance really well - didn't pull / push me either way! She smiled the whole time - even once we wiped out! She wants more surfing - and her own "pink" board now! Haha!

Seriously - this is what it's all about for me - priceless smiles from our families and memories that will stay with me!

Caitlin Surfing - July 13 2014.jpg

Originally posted by c_hotshot View Post
    Seriously - this is what it's all about for me - priceless smiles from our families and memories that will stay with me!
    Amen to that brother!

Comment

We had a great time out on the lake this weekend. Lake Conroe was not a bathtub for once - and the water was relatively flat for a weekend. Since there wasn't a lot of traffic out, I thought I'd give teaching my 4-1/2 year old how to surf. We got up on the first attempt and she kept her balance really well - didn't pull / push me either way! She smiled the whole time - even once we wiped out! She wants more surfing - and her own "pink" board now! Haha!

[ATTACH]37820[/ATTACH]
      AWESOME! I love surfing with my daughters!
      Mods: MLA BIG Ballast System (1800+ Custom sacs, 2 500 W705 sacs under bow), Duffy Surf Flap Mod, Trimmed Swim Deck, Top-Mount Starter

Comment

Love surfing with my kids too. What great memories we all will have! Good times!!!

Comment

Since Sunday now - she's asked daily if we are going out in the boat today - that's ready to surf w/ Daddy again! Gotta love it when you get them hooked on the water!

Comment

Quick question for you and probably a dumb one... How do you get up with your daughter? Going to get our 5 year old son on the board nest time at the lake.

Comment

Originally posted by Palle Man View Post
              Quick question for you and probably a dumb one... How do you get up with your daughter? Going to get our 5 year old son on the board nest time at the lake.
              Start in your normal position, only with your son between your legs - tell him to hold onto your legs real tight as you get up. Just add a little more knee bend - its very easy and he will love it!

Nothing better than the whole family enjoying the lake together. My son loves to surf & wakeboard - my daughter surfed with me one time but the spray was right in her face....so she doesn't want to anymore (but hopefully that wont last long).

Comment

Since Sunday now - she's asked daily if we are going out in the boat today - that's ready to surf w/ Daddy again! Gotta love it when you get them hooked on the water!
                That's awesome!

Comment

Awesome thanks. Will post some pics soon.

Comment

Palle Man - in addition to what jslayde has said, I got my daughter situated on the board first and then positioned myself. As we were getting pulled up, I kept my arms lower than normal to be closer to my daughter's chest and also started to pivot sooner so that I could drop a hand onto her chest quicker to ensure she didn't lose balance. Once we were up - it was just about her getting the hang of it.

The spray was getting into my daughter's eyes too from time to time - but not too bad. My biggest concern was the wipe out and making sure that she didn't get spooked - so I made sure that I was there in front of her when she popped up and reinforced that she was "OK" and "how much fun that was!" and "how proud of her I was" etc etc etc.

Looking forward to seeing you pix!

To spark the fire a little - I just saw on Facebook this morning a video of a 4 y.o surfing by herself, pumping, and just a natural. I've got some work cut out to get my daughter there!

Comment

Awesome thank you! Our little guy got spooked last summer on a knee board when it flipped over on him still strapped in. Had him strapped in very loosely but still held him in. I felt terrible. Thankfully I was close and was able to jump in and get him unstrapped. He has been a little reluctant to try anything but tubing ever since. Thanks again for the instruction. Hopefully we talk him into it.

Comment

When I pull up my daughters, I have them sit on my lap, feet on the board (sometimes they don't always reach the board, I put my arms under their arm pits and cross my hands on the handle. I tell them to hold my arms. I can actually pick them up completely while holding the handle this way if needed. Might be tough with this method with a bigger kid (my oldest is 4 years old).

I typically don't let go of them (worried about a roller or just them falling off). Hold them across the vest with an arm or hold their hands. It will also let them touch the wave, put a foot in it, move to the nose of the board, etc.
                        Mods: MLA BIG Ballast System (1800+ Custom sacs, 2 500 W705 sacs under bow), Duffy Surf Flap Mod, Trimmed Swim Deck, Top-Mount Starter

Comment

I love the idea of her walking to the board! I'll try that out this weekend!

Comment

She will get comfortble out there fast! Here are some of my girls favorite "tricks"

Hanging 5!

Ellie surfing by sreh03, on Flickr

Flying

Savvy flying by sreh03, on Flickr

Hand in the wave
                            Ellie surfing by sreh03, on Flickr

Gonna be a fun summer c_hotshot!

Comment

Awesome pics Steve. I love it. Thats a nice goofy wave too!

I'm gonna try to find some pics (or get some today) and will post!

Comment

Working...
                              X