Teaching my 6 year old to Wakeboard and his first season YouTube video

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Teaching my 6 year old to Wakeboard and his first season YouTube video

This was our first season wakeboarding and I told my son that at the end of the year I would make a YouTube video for him. The link is (hopefully) appearing below but I will also give the title as there seem to be a lot of "Liam's" and a lot of "6 year old wakeboarders" out there.

He doesn't do anything inverted but you can see how much he progressed over the season ending at 19.4 mph and jumping and carving. It initially took a month (without exaggeration) to get him rolled up on his board at 6.4 mph. I hope some of the tips below can help you shorten the time for your kids.

For parents learning, here are the tips I can give you for what they are worth.
    1) Get them good gear. Board, bindings, life jacket, etc.
    2) Get them a helmet. I know this is debatable but with a friends child seriously injured by a board to the head shot and 2 little dents in my sons helmet I would encourage them at least for kids. After my concussion at the end of the season I plan to get one for next year.
    3) Teach them to "roll up" on the grass using the rope and handle they will use in the water.
    4) Race around the yard and jump in circles on the board to get them understanding balancing while on the board.
    5) Put them in all their gear in shallow water with you standing by them so they learn to trust their equipment. I underestimated the fear that goes with a young child strapped to a board, with a helmet on, holding a rope, and trusting he wont sink in 20 to 30 feet of water.
    6) Get a short rope and attach it to the ski pylon at first. I eventually bought a rope that broke down to 35' and attached it to the ski pylon after a month on a 75' cable on the tower.
    7) Go slow. 6.4 mph was the speed that I eventually started my son at. We worked our way up from there.
    8) Put their friends in the boat as they will want to show off and peer pressure is amazing.
    9) Don't let them just drag behind the boat. Liam advanced much faster when he knew his 20 minute run (which would probably literally kill most of us adults) would come to an end if he stopped carving, jumping or doing some type of trick.
    10) Put them in a local tournament. Nothing motivates like an audience.
    11) Take them to see the pros. Really, who doesn't want to be that good? I ended up with a concussion and bruised internal organs : ) Can't wait for my helmet and new vest.
    12) Keep it fun always.
    13) Remember, bribery is cheap when they are young.

Liam's YouTube video link is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=va5X1zlRgaE

The title is:

Liam Wakeboarding: 6 Year Old Wakeboarder at End of First Season

I hope you like the video. I will work on getting some photos up. I don't think I can top the young girl in the sun hat photo though.

Thanks everyone.

Great video. Liam has skills!
    I do all my own stunt work. hey ya'll watch dis.

Comment

That's awesome! He looks really comfortable out there! He will be ripping it up in a couple of years.

Comment

Another view (wonderful dude too with super big smile):

Last edited by jbort; 11-15-2013, 02:39 PM.

Comment

what size of board is he riding?

Comment

Great vid!! Side slide to butt slide was great Liam has awesome edge control -- with those deep edges on heels and toes, he will be popping like crazy next season.

Interesting how often the line slacks with a small rider.

Comment

Thank you jbort for posting the video right in here. I did not know how to do that. Bspot, he is on a Ronix Vision 120. The graphics look like a WWII warbird with some bullet holes in it and it came with bomb stickers for accomplishments like touching the water, surface 180, first time on board etc. The bombs he earned are stuck to his bedroom wall by his Tige sticker. Duncan, my only guess on the line is that he is so light. I have a lot of still shots where the line looks like an "s" near him and it's a cable line. Sometimes the line even hits the water in front of him when he is carving back and forth. My photos only have slack in the line right after crashes as the handle flies towards the boat (you know, about half my photos).

I really appreciate you guys taking the time to watch the video. It's very nice of you. I read all the comments to him and he seemed happy about them. Although he was eating ice cream at the same time so can't be real sure what the happiness was directed to.
              Thank you

Comment

I ride goofy too. I also dedicate one set to switch riding only. I also do the edging drill from the book for warm up every time i go out.Keep shredding Liam!!!
                I do all my own stunt work. hey ya'll watch dis.

Comment

Hey dad great video , I dont think you understand when you put your hand in the water or wake thats to cool them off after intense shreding!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Very cool! Nothing better than water fun with your kids!

Here's an animated GIF I put together back when my son was five years old. It wasn't behind a Tige - it was behind the Seadoo jetboat we owned at the time, which is why the wake is so poor. We didn't think he was old enough to wakeboard so we didn't even try to teach him... and so he took out the kneeboard by himself just off the beach, learned to balance on it alone, and "proved" to us that he could handle water boardsports . It wasn't long before he moved to a wakeboard, and by the end of that summer this was the result:

Keep 'em going, and keep it fun! There's nothing better!

Comment

That's Awesome. Little kids are a lot of fun to watch in water sports. Sea Doo to Tige. Good Choice : )

Comment

That is a great video. You can tell him he's a better boarder than I am!

I love the "bomb" sticker idea. I think maybe I'll do up a custom sticker to give kids on my boat. As you said, all they need is a bit of courage to try new things. Maybe the sticker incentive will do it!

Comment

Working...
                        X