Teak.........back from the brink

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Teak.........back from the brink

So this ended up taking a lot longer than I had expected, but I think the end result makes up for it. Now that the teak is in a good state, it should be easier to maintain. When I purchased the boat, it looked like the previous owner coated the teak deck with some kind of lacquer. I left it alone because it was serving its purpose and still looked good. Fast forward 3 years, and the deck had taken a beating. Sanding all the lacquer off was a serious pain. I used a combination of a belt sander, a random orbital sander and good old hand sanding. I also read good things about the Watco teak oil from Home Depot, so that's what I used.

Here is the starting point:
    20130516_182532.JPG

Here is the bottom of the deck, mostly sanded. Still had to do some of the hand sanding:
    20130525_142323.JPG

Here is the top of the deck, all sanded and waiting to be oiled. Notice the white-ish looking spot near the bottom. I sanded it, but didn't want to get too aggressive. It didn't go away, which you'll see below:
    20130525_152903.JPG

Here is what it looks like after two coats:
    20130525_175001.JPG20130526_101108.JPG

And here is a close up:
    20130526_101156.JPG

Like I said earlier, this time it was a real pain, but I'm expecting the upkeep to be much easier. It's been discussed in other threads, but my '01 21V deck sits pretty low in the water. In fact, anytime we're stopped, the bottom and half way up is in the water. Do you think this will require more frequent maintenance? And what do you think about that white strip? Sand it more or embrace it as 'character'?

looks real good - nice work. I generally do same each season on our deck but this yr only had to to do light recoat because was in good shape.

Comment

Yes. They seem to be a never ending project and to keep it looking like that you will have to repeat that process every year. Maybe 2x per year. I would sell my soul for a fiberglass swim step. Sooooooooooo over teak!

Comment

I used a product called Teak Guard this year, and it worked amazingly! It was easy to apply, after sanding, after about 5 to 6 coats it hasn't faded, or discolored at all. They say that you only ever have to reapply a coat or two every year and that there shouldn't be a need for further sanding.

http://www.teakguard.com/index.html

Sorry, I haven't taken any pics....

Comment

i just did the exact same thing......i ended up unscrewing all the boards and sanding all 6 sides, reassembled and used my belt sander to clean up the shape all around the edge. took it all apart and put a good coat of Watco on all sides, reassembled it and am putting a final coat on the top and edges tonight. It is alot of work but they look great in the end!

Comment

Originally posted by kko View Post
            Yes. They seem to be a never ending project and to keep it looking like that you will have to repeat that process every year. Maybe 2x per year. I would sell my soul for a fiberglass swim step. Sooooooooooo over teak!
            I'm close to being with you there. Half way through all the sanding, I started looking up pictures of teak decks coated with Rhino lining or LineX. Just something that was a more permanent solution.

Because I did so much sanding, I didn't use a "teak cleaner" but after reading the teakguard site suggested by bigtige72, maybe I should have. I guess I'll see how long this treatment lasts and go from there.

Comment

Originally posted by infotom View Post
              i just did the exact same thing......i ended up unscrewing all the boards and sanding all 6 sides, reassembled and used my belt sander to clean up the shape all around the edge. took it all apart and put a good coat of Watco on all sides, reassembled it and am putting a final coat on the top and edges tonight. It is alot of work but they look great in the end!
              Wow! Nice work! Before starting this project, I had a hard time finding information about what people did with the bottom of the deck. Mine looked very similar to the top, so I knew it needed sanding. Of course, when you're searching the interweb for pictures, everyone only shows the pretty wood grain from the top of the deck. So it was hard to know whether people took as good a care of the bottom as they do the top. Nice to see that you left no wood unsanded!

Comment

I see owning a teak deck just like owning a boat in general... do you let your gel coat get faded\dirty that bad... no. do you like to sand it H3LL NO. but if you have one.. plan on some upkeep....
                2011 Tigé RZ4
                www.re-viveupholstery.com

Comment

that is a very nice job, I just did mine and it did not come out that well. At least I can do it like you did next year.

Comment

Working...
                  X