2005 22V decal rebadging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2005 22V decal rebadging

I took the tribal decals off of my 05 22V and put gunmetal Tigé Chromax decals on both of the rear sides and on the transom above the swim deck.

after taking the tribal decals I had a hell of a time buffing/wet sanding the ghosting off.. because my boat is all white, it wasn’t too bad to get off compared to black or colors.

Before buying Chromax decals from the dealer I bought a knock off Tigé raised silver vinyl sticker set off eBay trying to save $$($80 for the set)... and it looked pretty good. But then I went to a dealer for new batteries and they sold me on chromax logos for $95 each which looked way better (but also more $$!).

anyways.. here’s some photos of the original tribal decals I removed, the eBay vinyl stickers I first bought, and the chromax decals I ended up on.
    Attached Files

naked for the win! I removed the decal off the side of my 09VE the day I bought it off of the previous owner. IMO the 09 decal was hideous.
    Attached Files

Comment

Yours looks much more modern without that graphic also. Not sure what they were thinking making those decals at the time..

Comment

Looks great! Any part numbers for reference? I'd like to update our "22ve" decals to the "Tige" chromax. Our nearest dealer is about 2.5 hours away so id have to order them over the phone. Our tribal graphic was particularly heinous, so happy to have the boat naked now! Dandy gave us a few older style raised chromax decals with the boat, but they are more painted-silver looking.

Comment

Yessir, the part # for the chromax in my photos (about 15-16" in width) is Q8500.

Comment

Majr808, your boat looks great! What did you use for products and procedure to get rid of the ghosting? I just removed the one on the transom of my 22v. My daughter doesn't want them off the side. I figure I need to buff the transom out before tackling the sides and my daughter.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Comment

My ghosting looked very similar to yours when I first pulled the stickers off.

I tried using a compound first, but it wasn’t aggressive enough.

I ended up doing this process.... after all of this the ghosting is 99% gone, only can notice it if you look at a certain angle and light and are very close up.

compounded first to get surface clean.

(when wet sanding I always used soapy water)
              wet sand 800 grit 3 passes
              1000 grit 2 passes
              1200 grit 1 pass
              1500 grit 1 pass
              2000 grit 1 pass
              3000 grit 1 pass
              6000 grit 1 pass

then compound again, then polish, then wax

the wet sand pack was really effective and you can go over as aggressively as needed. Personally I was scared to go under 800. White paint was dripping off while I wet sanded, I figure this is just part of it.

I did it all by hand but a machine buffer could probably help a lot. I did it over the course of 4-5 days after work when I could.

This is the wet sand pack I got and this was the compound/polish/wax kit

Good luck!

45PCS Sandpaper, Premium Wet Dry... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KV3VX97...p_mob_ap_share

Meguiar's M-4965 MG Fiberglass Oxidation Removal Kit https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000AY4YT...38S1RKDP0YNEBV

Comment

Originally posted by Majr808 View Post
                Yours looks much more modern without that graphic also. Not sure what they were thinking making those decals at the time..
                Same reason a bunch of people are stuck with tribal tattoos and tramp stamps (some worse than others) from 15 years ago.... Styles change, some of the neon vinyl combos being manufactured right now are gonna look pretty dated in 15 years.

Comment

That gunmetal decal looks totally sharp!

Comment

Working...
                  X