R21 / Z1 Surf Setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

R21 / Z1 Surf Setup

Greeting from the frozen North... Instead of working today (like I should be) I decided it would be much more fun to daydream and think about how to get the best surf wave out of my 2018 Tige Z1 (probably the last one ever made) which of course is now the R21 (Same hull). I did a lot of messing around with weight last year including, buying a new bigger ballast bag for the Port rear locker, adding 200lbs of lead, adding a third bag (700lbs) to the floor ect. What I found was that getting a bigger bag (1100lbs) for the port locker really didn't do much. Adding lead and stuffing it in the way back cooler lockers helped a little, adding 700lbs on the floor helped with the push of the wave only but not size or length. At the end of the year, I ended up running the 700lb in the middle but my wife was never happy about it (as sit used up all the floor space) and I hated filling and draining it. Also, the boat started to look a little low in the water and was hard to drive.

So... this is what I was thinking:

Buy 2 more lead bags (Ronix) or something similar. Here is my question... Is it better to put all the lead on one side to lean the boat? Is it better to put the lead in the middle of the boat to sink it more, or should I put the lead in the way back under or next to the ballast bags? My goal is to get the best possible wave out of this boat that provided good push without having to use the 700lb ballast bag sitting on the floor.

If you have experimented or have experience weighting an R21 for surf let me know what has worked best for you... Thanks!

What I found was that getting a bigger bag (1100lbs) for the port locker really didn't do much.
    Sounds like you may have added too much list by only increasing the weight in one rear side. TAPS-3 actuators working correctly?
    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

That will be one of the first things I am going to test this spring but to my knowledge, yes... The actuators are working correctly. Speaking of those, what is the best way to test that when the boat is out of the water?

Comment

You can enter dealer mode and work all the out and in form there.
        Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

This was my response someone asking the same thing.....
          with our standard of 4-5 adults in the boat and running the factory subfloor ballast and surf XL bags, I've added a 350lb fatsac on each rear side seat--so running front to back and run them full. Then I have an 800lb fatsac for the floor and vary the amount depending on people and wave desired. I've rarely even come close to filling the center bag more than about 3/4 full

Comment

Any pictures of the wave. What are your taps and speed settings?

Comment

On my youtube there's a couple videos from this past summer. Mind you that this was a brand new boat for us so we still have a lot to dial in but we're pretty close

https://www.youtube.com/user/MtnMan210

Settings are all over the place. I really want to go out and write some down and film some video of the differences. Anyways For a bigger guy like myself I usually run somewhere in the neighbor hood of 10.7-11 and I think taps at 2/5ish I could be way off I can't remember off the top of my head. I've had smaller riders all the way up to 12+mph and drastically different settings.

Comment

Working...
              X