ZX5 vs Malibu 25 LSV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ZX5 vs Malibu 25 LSV

I'm looking to upgrade this year from my 2016 RZX 23 foot. I'm looking at the ZX5 and the Malibu 25 LSV. My RZX has a great wave but I had a lot of problems with the Lenco actuators over the last 3 summers. So I'm leaning towards the Malibu because I don't want a boat in the shop half the summer. But before I pull the trigger I'm asking bout the actuators on the ZX5 and if Tige has had problems with them. I know they are Hydralic and aren't made by lenco. I'd appreciate any info so I can make the right choice.

but I had a lot of problems with the Lenco actuators over the last 3 summers. So I'm leaning towards the Malibu because I don't want a boat in the shop half the summer.
    Malibu had the same issues with the same actuators, and both Tige and Malibu have moved on to what seems to be a more robust actuator.
    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

My 2 cents if you upgrade to the 25ZX get a 2020. The new go surf system is amazing and the GSA plates make a world of difference. My brother has an 18 RZX3 and the wave is better on the 25ZX and much easier to get clean and long.

Comment

Originally posted by Berrymad View Post
        I'm looking to upgrade this year from my 2016 RZX 23 foot. I'm looking at the ZX5 and the Malibu 25 LSV. My RZX has a great wave but I had a lot of problems with the Lenco actuators over the last 3 summers. So I'm leaning towards the Malibu because I don't want a boat in the shop half the summer. But before I pull the trigger I'm asking bout the actuators on the ZX5 and if Tige has had problems with them. I know they are Hydralic and aren't made by lenco. I'd appreciate any info so I can make the right choice.
        Both boats are great.

I think the main question you need to ask is how important is the fuel efficiency to you?

A 25ZX plugged into diacom at surf speed is going to be showing a fuel burn rate of around 10GPH heavy.

A 25LSV is going to be north of 17 with the wedge partially down and north of 22 with the wedge all the way down.

Aside from efficiency its going to be a preference thing in regard to wave, interior, screens etc.

Tiges new 3T system is almost impossible to beat at the moment. The 25ZX is a top 3 boat at the moment in the industry and I think you would find very few who would argue that if they were being completely honest.

Its super tall, plush and a scary performer with stock ballast. One of the rare boats I have been in where you dont need anything extra.
        Germaine Marine
        "A proud dealer of Tige, Supra, Moomba and ATX performance boats"

Comment

If your boat was in the shop half the summer for something as easy to swap as an actuator, then you need a new dealer. Although it was inconvenient, they should have been able to have you in and out quickly, especially if you bought from them.

I have said it many times, but dealer support is really important. I loved my Nautique G23, but my local dealer did not do me right in the service department, so I now have a Malibu 25 LSV. The Malibu dealer is 110 miles away, but keeps a local tech here that can do most maintenance and repairs. I have been pleased with them. When Germaine is not 275 miles away for me, I may give them a shot. In my case, dealer was more important than brand. There are a lot of good boats out there, but if it isn't actuators, it will probably be something else, you still need good dealer support.

My neighbor just brought home a 25ZX, literally 3rd door away from me. I will hopefully get some time behind it at some point. The hype has been impressive for the ZX, I am eager to see it.

NOBODY is surfing at 22 gallons an hour. So just stop. I assume you are referencing the ridiculous Centurion/Boardco video that also claimed Centurion can move a 12,000 pound boat (ballast and boat) for 5 GPH while creating the biggest wave ever created in the history of surf waves. Exaggerated sales tactics rarely bring fruit. Just be honest. Tige is a great product, saying wrong things about the competition is beneath you.

Having said that, the Tige is likely more fuel efficient. But I think if you are spending north of 125K on a boat and are worried about fuel efficiency, I think you are a little too close to your debt ceiling. The 25 LSV has an 87 gallon fuel tank, so no need to go back to the dock. I have run the boat for consecutive days without running low on fuel.
          Be excellent to one another.

Comment

Originally posted by talltigeguy View Post
            If your boat was in the shop half the summer for something as easy to swap as an actuator, then you need a new dealer. Although it was inconvenient, they should have been able to have you in and out quickly, especially if you bought from them.

I have said it many times, but dealer support is really important. I loved my Nautique G23, but my local dealer did not do me right in the service department, so I now have a Malibu 25 LSV. The Malibu dealer is 110 miles away, but keeps a local tech here that can do most maintenance and repairs. I have been pleased with them. When Germaine is not 275 miles away for me, I may give them a shot. In my case, dealer was more important than brand. There are a lot of good boats out there, but if it isn't actuators, it will probably be something else, you still need good dealer support.

My neighbor just brought home a 25ZX, literally 3rd door away from me. I will hopefully get some time behind it at some point. The hype has been impressive for the ZX, I am eager to see it.

NOBODY is surfing at 22 gallons an hour. So just stop. I assume you are referencing the ridiculous Centurion/Boardco video that also claimed Centurion can move a 12,000 pound boat (ballast and boat) for 5 GPH while creating the biggest wave ever created in the history of surf waves. Exaggerated sales tactics rarely bring fruit. Just be honest. Tige is a great product, saying wrong things about the competition is beneath you.

Having said that, the Tige is likely more fuel efficient. But I think if you are spending north of 125K on a boat and are worried about fuel efficiency, I think you are a little too close to your debt ceiling. The 25 LSV has an 87 gallon fuel tank, so no need to go back to the dock. I have run the boat for consecutive days without running low on fuel.
            This usually happens when someone doesn't like something said about a boat they own...

Im sorry this is the case here. My comments were extremely tactful. Efficiency much like anything else, is a preference. To some it isn't that big of a deal.

Both boats are great, you failed to point out that part of my comment when you dissected the other things I said and how making such comments were beneath me.

I dont reference any other videos or competitors advertising material. I have diacom, and run a pretty successful dealership which takes the same boats im mentioning, in on trade quite frequently.

I know the videos you are referencing and to be honest those numbers are much much worse... creeping over 26-28GPH. Those numbers are exaggerated and the videos are terrible but their is some truth in what they are saying.

To be honest and im no centurion fan, Centurions big *** hull with all that dead rise is pretty efficient. See? Something about a competitor thats nice.

The numbers I tossed out aren't exaggerated. Ive plugged into multiple BU's and have seen it with my own eyes.

Its ok to have opinions or dislikes about other boats. You have less dislikes about your current malibu then the others im sure you looked at. That why you own a malibu.

The reality? this isn't the Malibu forum so we aren't going to be as sunshine and roses about that brand. Surely you understand that. If your looking for that they have a neat forum.

Lastly,

I can never understand the point behind " Well if you are spending 125K, who cares about fuel" Im sorry but this response has little to no logic behind it. If both boats are amazing and one for obvious reasons (DRAG) is burning a significantly higher amount of fuel then you would be silly to not think about that during the buying process regardless of your income or financial status. It's just being smart.
            Last edited by Germaine Marine; 02-22-2020, 08:03 PM.
            Germaine Marine

Comment

I care so little about fuel burn I usually pump 30-40 gallons onto the ground for fun when I fill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like bananas!

Comment

Update. Since you brought up advertising videos I went ahead and looked at Taylors (Malibu Dealer) video of the 24MXZ. Obviously a marketing video. In this video they are touting burning 14.50 an hour with a boat full ballast and wedge and what looks like a boat devoid of people. Like the other videos we dont know the exacts here other then that maybe the truth is somewhere in the middle. Not 14.5 but not 28...

Maybe the 22 I saw on Diacom that I referenced? Sounds pretty rational to me.

Malibus are thirsty. Everyone in the industry (owners and dealers alike) are rational and understand the concept of drag. Now, you dont want to run the wedge etc? Ok but those are standard components on the boat.

Ill stand by my comments with complete confidence.

Im sure you LSV is awesome, no reason to take exception to the elephant in the room. You made it abundantly clear that you really dont give two hoots about fuel burn.
                Last edited by Germaine Marine; 02-22-2020, 07:44 PM.
                Germaine Marine

Comment

Originally posted by dakota4ce View Post
                  I care so little about fuel burn I usually pump 30-40 gallons onto the ground for fun when I fill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  LOL.

I cant tell you how much I get this at shows. Well I spent 170K on a boat, who cares about fuel......
                  Last edited by Germaine Marine; 02-22-2020, 07:44 PM.
                  Germaine Marine

Comment

I care about fuel efficiency... the marina is too damn far away in Powell... ��

Comment

Last year on Norris Lake in TN we had our 15 Z3 and our friends 17 MXZ24.

We surfed behind the Z3 more then the MXZ. Probably used the boats equally over 7 days (tubing, skiing, wake boarding, cruising and sitting in coves). I filled our boat twice, so ~100 gallons (48 Gal tank). He filled the MXZ 3 times for ~210 gallons (70 Gal tank).
                      "You're rather attractive for a beautiful girl with a great body."

Comment

Originally posted by Booms View Post
                        Last year on Norris Lake in TN we had our 15 Z3 and our friends 17 MXZ24.

We surfed behind the Z3 more then the MXZ. Probably used the boats equally over 7 days (tubing, skiing, wake boarding, cruising and sitting in coves). I filled our boat twice, so ~100 gallons (48 Gal tank). He filled the MXZ 3 times for ~210 gallons (70 Gal tank).
                        The Z is still such a dang powerhouse. That boat was way ahead of its time.... in many ways it still is.
                        Germaine Marine

Comment

Originally posted by little_criket View Post
                          I care about fuel efficiency... the marina is too damn far away in Powell... ��
                          Exactly-
                          Germaine Marine

Comment

Originally posted by Germaine Marine View Post
                            This usually happens when someone doesn't like something said about a boat they own...

Im sorry this is the case here. My comments were extremely tactful. Efficiency much like anything else, is a preference. To some it isn't that big of a deal.

The reality? this isn't the Malibu forum so we aren't going to be as sunshine and roses about that brand. Surely you understand that. If your looking for that they have a neat forum.
                            Originally posted by Germaine Marine View Post
                            Update. Since you brought up advertising videos I went ahead and looked at Taylors (Malibu Dealer) video of the 24MXZ. Obviously a marketing video. In this video they are touting burning 14.50 an hour with a boat full ballast and wedge and what looks like a boat devoid of people. Like the other videos we dont know the exacts here other then that maybe the truth is somewhere in the middle. Not 14.5 but not 28...

Maybe the 22 I saw on Diacom that I referenced? Sounds pretty rational to me.

Malibus are thirsty. Everyone in the industry (owners and dealers alike) are rational and understand the concept of drag. Now, you dont want to run the wedge etc? Ok but those are standard components on the boat.

Ill stand by my comments with complete confidence.

Im sure you LSV is awesome, no reason to take exception to the elephant in the room. You made it abundantly clear that you really dont give two hoots about fuel burn.
                            Your comments were tactful, but just weren't true. Nobody is burning 22 gallons per hour. I guess when presented with evidence that 22 gallons per hour is out of line, you still don't choose to believe it. The MXZ is the heaviest boat on the lineup, and isn't an LSV, either. Nobody is starting threads on the Malibu forum about how to decrease their fuel consumption. If you want to trash malibu, do a google search for 'Malibu QC', and there is a lot to read. Fuel burn is just not much of a concern of real life owners of the boats.

I've been around long enough that you should know I don't fanboy anything. When I see someone say something blatantly wrong about a Tige on the Malibu forum, I correct that too. In case you didn't notice, Berrymad asked about the 25 LSV, it isn't like I brought up the 25 LSV out of thin air.

And comparing the fuel burn of a Z3 vs a 24 MXZ is not an apples to oranges comparison. Not to mention if the Malibu had the 2:1 tranny, etc.
                            Be excellent to one another.

Comment

Originally posted by talltigeguy View Post
                              Your comments were tactful, but just weren't true. Nobody is burning 22 gallons per hour. I guess when presented with evidence that 22 gallons per hour is out of line, you still don't choose to believe it. The MXZ is the heaviest boat on the lineup, and isn't an LSV, either. Nobody is starting threads on the Malibu forum about how to decrease their fuel consumption. If you want to trash malibu, do a google search for 'Malibu QC', and there is a lot to read. Fuel burn is just not much of a concern of real life owners of the boats.

I've been around long enough that you should know I don't fanboy anything. When I see someone say something blatantly wrong about a Tige on the Malibu forum, I correct that too. In case you didn't notice, Berrymad asked about the 25 LSV, it isn't like I brought up the 25 LSV out of thin air.

And comparing the fuel burn of a Z3 vs a 24 MXZ is not an apples to oranges comparison. Not to mention if the Malibu had the 2:1 tranny, etc.
                              Im not accusing you of fanboying anything. You own an LSV and maybe you are a tad sensitive to my remarks, or maybe you aren't. It was just an observation.

We can agree to disagree about the fuel burn. I dont think the QC on Malibu is bad at all. Like I said I think its a great boat.

Fuel burn is much worse on a surf gated/ Wedged out LSV/MXZ hell you name the model in comparison to really anything that doesn't need a wedge hanging off the back.

Its the drag, its not some industry secret. You and I probably won't see eye to eye on this which is fine. But you said it yourself, your boat is going to burn more fuel.

To you, fuel burn means nothing too you, You are entitled to feel that way. I as well as most of the population care about fuel burn whether its 5 bucks a day or 200 more a day.

If my mind serves me right the MXZ is 5500 ish and the LSV is 5600 ish. Not a huge weight diff.....
                              Germaine Marine

Comment

Working...
                              X