Fun video found!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fun video found!

I've been transferring my mom's collection of old family VHS tapes for her into digital copies, and after endless birthdays and Christmas's I finally got to the good stuff. Going through a bunch of old water skiing videos I found this gem. It was shot mid to late 80's, still trying to narrow in the date. Anyways my dad had an 81 SunRay 20ft open bow ski boat...which had an OMC OUTDRIVE!!! Apparently the story is it was the first year they made a crossover boat from their primarily fishing/cruiser lineup. I'm trying to dig up some pictures of the boat itself, because I can't even find anything online that this boat existed. At some point in our many trips to Lake Don Pedro in northern California, a friend of the family who was a surfer from Newport Beach, noticed the big wake at slow speeds and was curious if he could ride it like a wave. There was numerous amounts of trial and error(listening to the audio is pretty funny), lots of trimming, and from the video looked to be 7 or 8 people in the boat. And yes the video quality is awful but the big VHS camcorder is all we had back then AND YES by today standards surfing behind an outdrive is a BIG NO NO for the safety police but just remember this was a long time ago before anything like we have know ever existed.

Enjoy....

https://youtu.be/8w7WPK25Aiw

Originally posted by MtnMan210 View Post
    I've been transferring my mom's collection of old family VHS tapes for her into digital copies, and after endless birthdays and Christmas's I finally got to the good stuff. Going through a bunch of old water skiing videos I found this gem. It was shot mid to late 80's, still trying to narrow in the date. Anyways my dad had an 81 SunRay 20ft open bow ski boat...which had an OMC OUTDRIVE!!! Apparently the story is it was the first year they made a crossover boat from their primarily fishing/cruiser lineup. I'm trying to dig up some pictures of the boat itself, because I can't even find anything online that this boat existed. At some point in our many trips to Lake Don Pedro in northern California, a friend of the family who was a surfer from Newport Beach, noticed the big wake at slow speeds and was curious if he could ride it like a wave. There was numerous amounts of trial and error(listening to the audio is pretty funny), lots of trimming, and from the video looked to be 7 or 8 people in the boat. And yes the video quality is awful but the big VHS camcorder is all we had back then AND YES by today standards surfing behind an outdrive is a BIG NO NO for the safety police but just remember this was a long time ago before anything like we have know ever existed.

Enjoy....

https://youtu.be/8w7WPK25Aiw
    Dude, I love it! I thought we were early on, but you guys had us beat by, at least 15years! That’s awesome that you have a vid of it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Almost could go wireless for a minute.

Comment

those "boardshorts" are classic.......
        2012 22ve.. RIP 4/17
        2014 Z3.. Surf away

Comment

Originally posted by sandm View Post
          those "boardshorts" are classic.......
          I need to find a pair for this years trunks

Comment

Wow, crazy how times have changed.

Here’s a little modern day water skiing as I dream back on the summer months.
            https://youtu.be/Al5LovB9m7s

Comment

I’d love to have that EP vest. I totally remember those. I have an America’s Cup vest from that era. An actual EP vest would go very nicely in my EP collection.

My Jacobs was used for wakesurfing in the 70s behind an outboard. http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/show...mp1&highlight=
              You'll get your chance, smart guy.

Comment

Love it.

Comment

OMG, that's the year we started that very same thing, grew up in So Cal and lived on Catalina Island, (Two Harbors) for 45 years Had a 16' wooden boat with a 25 HP Johnson and a 6'.6" thruster surfboard loaded up with 3-4 people It was a blast, never really worried about the outboard. Even got up the same way, it was such a PITA but it was a blast, especially if someone dropped the line NKA "wireless".

Of course I would never even consider that these days and would never advocate anyone doing that. It's only fun still someone gets hurt and believe me, I've seen my fare share of boating accidents while there, i.e. Natalie Wood

Thanks for sharing, that brings back some great memories...
                  Last edited by mwaite09; 02-05-2020, 11:02 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X