Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What RPM does your engine average when surfing/boarding/skiing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Taking a very rough survey here. What is the typical RPM that your engine turns when you're "up to speed" and stable, during wakesurfing, wakeboarding, skiing, etc.?

I'll start: Somehow, magically, the EX343 CAT in our 24Ve seems to sit at 3000 +/- 100 RPM no matter what we're doing. Other than tubing, of course. {grin}

Thanks!

I can't remember exactly with wakeboarding I think it usually is right around 3000rpm as well. Surfing at 11.4mph I'm usually around 3200rpm depending on how weighted I am.

Comment

3200-ish at 11.6mph.
      this was listed. we have started playing around with a wake device and both sides evenly weighted iirc it was around 3500.
      2012 22ve.. RIP 4/17
      2014 Z3.. Surf away

Comment

Originally posted by sandm View Post
        we have started playing around with a wake device...
        AND?

Comment

2019 R23 Raptor 400

Full water ballast (3k) plus 900lbs lead

ACME 537; surf 11.2mph; 3300 taps@1; 3470 taps@3

ACME 2773; surf 11.2mph; 3150 taps@3

Yes lower pitch / larger diameter prop ran at lower RPM....2773 is more efficient under heavy loads than the 537

The plot below is with no water ballast, but does have the same 900lbs of lead. You can see where the 537 struggles to get on plane....hence the reason the 537 sucks on the R23.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Now THAT'S data! Doesn't everyone capture and graph data like that? {grin}

Comment

Originally posted by IDBoating View Post
              Now THAT'S data! Doesn't everyone capture and graph data like that? {grin}
              I’m a data nerd!!!!!!!!

Comment

My goal for surfing is always below 3,000 rpms. The boat seems much happier. 2900rpms with 4k in water ballast or so.
                Build thread: http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/showthread.php?14787-Duffy-s-2005-24v-wakesurfing-mod-thread&highlight=duffys+24v

Comment

There are so many variables that come into play here but I understand you’re looking for just some generic data. I would say generally most surf boats stock run anywhere from 2900-4000.
                  For me with our Rzx3 with the 440 and 1:1.5 tranny was at 4K rpm stock which was so bad. Jumped to a larger prop and stay right at 3600. Which still seems high but from what I’ve heard the raptors naturally run like that.

Spend a ton of time on a Ri237 with the H6 and it’s about 3100 with added 800 in lead.

Comment

Custom 5 blade. Its a stump puller
                    Build thread: http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/showthread.php?14787-Duffy-s-2005-24v-wakesurfing-mod-thread&highlight=duffys+24v

Comment

Originally posted by Bamer View Post
                      2019 R23 Raptor 400

Full water ballast (3k) plus 900lbs lead

ACME 537; surf 11.2mph; 3300 taps@1; 3470 taps@3

ACME 2773; surf 11.2mph; 3150 taps@3

Yes lower pitch / larger diameter prop ran at lower RPM....2773 is more efficient under heavy loads than the 537

The plot below is with no water ballast, but does have the same 900lbs of lead. You can see where the 537 struggles to get on plane....hence the reason the 537 sucks on the R23.....

Just some food for thought. Lower RPM does not always equate to better fuel efficiency. One fellow did this exact graph but with fuel consumption numbers as well on a fuel flow meter. At some point the higher pitched prop lugs the engine down and it sucks more fuel to get the same speed. I think it seems clear that for most of the data given here, there is likely a strong correlation with fuel efficiency and lower RPM. The fellow that found higher fuel consumption was in a G23 with increasingly bigger props and higher pitch. In other words, the fuel consumption curve of prop pitch vs. fuel consumption is U shaped.

A Malibu 25 LSV with M6 6.2L Direct Injected motor with full ballast and wedge surfs at about 3400 RPM. Higher if you jack up the wedge, lower if you flatten the wave a bit.
                      Last edited by talltigeguy; 01-10-2020, 08:58 PM.
                      Be excellent to one another.

Comment

Originally posted by talltigeguy View Post
                        At some point the higher pitched prop lugs the engine down and it sucks more fuel to get the same speed. .
                        That is exactly what’s going on with the 537 at 10-14 mph. There’s too much load trying to get the boat on plane. The prop efficiency at that speed is really bad. It’s even worse when the boat is really loaded when surfing, which is why the 537 is not on my boat any more.

The only time the 537 is better fuel efficiency might be at speeds faster the 30mph, which is almost never for me.

Last edited by Bamer; 01-11-2020, 01:05 AM.

Comment

Working...
                        X