Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

23zx vs Rzx 23 Surf Wave?

Hey,

I am upgrading from a 2016 z1 to a 23 2020 but unsure of which model. The 23zx is my first choice but the 23rzx is a close second due to a cheaper price. Deciding factor will be the wave. Has anyone surfed both boats or have opinions on which one has a better surf wave?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would go for the 23zx and and yes I’ve surfed both . Both boats surf great! I’ve rode just about all the brands out there and it’s really what you prefer. 23zx is my vote .
    surf till u die.

Comment

As Surf406 said, both boats are going to surf great. I would lean towards the 23ZX being better for surfing as well, but it is very close. You will be happy with either boat.

Comment

I would probably say 23ZX just because it’s a newer hull. Although rzx with the newer surf system is very good.

Comment

Originally posted by Jape View Post
          Hey,

I am upgrading from a 2016 z1 to a 23 2020 but unsure of which model. The 23zx is my first choice but the 23rzx is a close second due to a cheaper price. Deciding factor will be the wave. Has anyone surfed both boats or have opinions on which one has a better surf wave?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          For me the RZX3 was a no brainer when I custom ordered a 2019. The pickle fork bow fully closed in from the factory without adding a cushion insert like the ZX models along with the RZX taller freeboard was key. For some reason I really love the look of the step up transition from the main cockpit (great cooler spot with built in drain in addition to built in cooler in the center of the floor) to the bow the RZX has and I like the placement of the factory subwoofer being more towards the center of the boat in the RZX3 instead of under the helm like all the ZX models. Both have excellent surf wakes so that didn’t factor into my decision. I’m not a fan how Tige is calling the ZX model their “flagship” of the 2020 lineup. In 2020 they stripped the standard RZX options away to lower the price point but in my opinion they should have done that to the ZX line. I’m told they decided to label the ZX their flagship model because market research says people prefer traditional bows over the pickle fork and they didn’t want people to feel like they are getting lesser of a boat if they chose the ZX for its traditional bow if the RZX was considered “flagship”. if I were ordering in 2020, I’d still go with the RZX line fully loaded but on the condition they allowed me to order the diamond stitching and not the plain “sport” stitching they offer now. Tige is unique about accommodating and allowing you to pick and choose some options not listed on their build sheet so feel like they’d still allow you to order a 2020 with the diamond stitching even though it’s not technically offered.

Either way you’re going to love your new 2020 no matter which you choose! Good luck, hope I helped and didn’t confuse you any worse. I posted on here back when I ordered looking for help on color schemes and regret not going with my gut and basically tallying everyone’s comment as votes. That being said, go with your gut!

Comment

Originally posted by david.osborne24 View Post
            I’m not a fan how Tige is calling the ZX model their “flagship” of the 2020 lineup. In 2020 they stripped the standard RZX options away to lower the price point but in my opinion they should have done that to the ZX line. I’m told they decided to label the ZX their flagship model because market research says people prefer traditional bows over the pickle fork and they didn’t want people to feel like they are getting lesser of a boat if they chose the ZX for its traditional bow if the RZX was considered “flagship”. if I were ordering in 2020, I’d still go with the RZX line fully loaded but on the condition they allowed me to order the diamond stitching and not the plain “sport” stitching they offer now. Tige is unique about accommodating and allowing you to pick and choose some options not listed on their build sheet so feel like they’d still allow you to order a 2020 with the diamond stitching even though it’s not technically offered.
            I'm with you on not being a fan how they made the ZX the flagship either but understand why. I ended up ordering a RZX2 fully loaded for many of the same reasons as you. I actually like the new RZX windshield better than the upgraded ZX windshield. I was hesitant on the sport stitching, but it looks really good in person and I'm very happy with how it looks and turned out.

Comment

Originally posted by david.osborne24 View Post
              For me the RZX3 was a no brainer when I custom ordered a 2019. The pickle fork bow fully closed in from the factory without adding a cushion insert like the ZX models along with the RZX taller freeboard was key. For some reason I really love the look of the step up transition from the main cockpit (great cooler spot with built in drain in addition to built in cooler in the center of the floor) to the bow the RZX has and I like the placement of the factory subwoofer being more towards the center of the boat in the RZX3 instead of under the helm like all the ZX models. Both have excellent surf wakes so that didn’t factor into my decision. I’m not a fan how Tige is calling the ZX model their “flagship” of the 2020 lineup. In 2020 they stripped the standard RZX options away to lower the price point but in my opinion they should have done that to the ZX line. I’m told they decided to label the ZX their flagship model because market research says people prefer traditional bows over the pickle fork and they didn’t want people to feel like they are getting lesser of a boat if they chose the ZX for its traditional bow if the RZX was considered “flagship”. if I were ordering in 2020, I’d still go with the RZX line fully loaded but on the condition they allowed me to order the diamond stitching and not the plain “sport” stitching they offer now. Tige is unique about accommodating and allowing you to pick and choose some options not listed on their build sheet so feel like they’d still allow you to order a 2020 with the diamond stitching even though it’s not technically offered.

Either way you’re going to love your new 2020 no matter which you choose! Good luck, hope I helped and didn’t confuse you any worse. I posted on here back when I ordered looking for help on color schemes and regret not going with my gut and basically tallying everyone’s comment as votes. That being said, go with your gut!
              Market research says that people like a hybrid bow over a traditional (R21/R23) or pickle (R20/Rzx) but that isn't why tige markets the ZX as the Flagship. Its marketed as the flagship because its new hull design, its taller and it has some comforts and styling that are current with the market trends.

Believe it or not the market doesn't like the step up play pen bow, they prefer the walkthrough with the cushion to give you the option.

I think the Rzx being lower in price point now is a home run. You can buy that boat for about 10-15k cheaper now. No other brand IMO has a boat that can check as many boxes as the RZX at that price point.

Some may prefer the styling of one over there other, that will always be the case. But hard part for hard part the ZX is bigger, more advanced and more plush.
              Germaine Marine
              "A proud dealer of Tige, Supra, Moomba and ATX performance boats"

Comment

In the same position as Jape. Contemplating trading in my 2017 RZX2 for a new 23zx or RZX2/3. I like the idea of new actuators assuming, the old ones actually failed and slipped as they heated up. I'm hoping this has to change one's surfing experience although, I could be wrong here and am falling for 2020 marketing. I also like the new push start/stop. New software sounds and looks easier to use but not a must for me. Can someone please explain in a little more detail what has changed with the new ZX hull and what this will do to its surf wave if anything, in comparison to the RZX? I'm really hoping this new actuator/software system materially improves one's overall surfing experience. If not, I'll continue to use my current boat which I am more than happy with.

Appreciate any and all feedback.

Comment

Originally posted by willy12 View Post
                  In the same position as Jape. Contemplating trading in my 2017 RZX2 for a new 23zx or RZX2/3. I like the idea of new actuators assuming, the old ones actually failed and slipped as they heated up. I'm hoping this has to change one's surfing experience although, I could be wrong here and am falling for 2020 marketing. I also like the new push start/stop. New software sounds and looks easier to use but not a must for me. Can someone please explain in a little more detail what has changed with the new ZX hull and what this will do to its surf wave if anything, in comparison to the RZX? I'm really hoping this new actuator/software system materially improves one's overall surfing experience. If not, I'll continue to use my current boat which I am more than happy with.

Appreciate any and all feedback.
                  The new system isnt just about the actuators. While the new actuators are awesome and near bullet proof the new systems benefit is in the plates. The new plates induce 2x the yaw while only needing to be deployed less then 1/4 of what the old system needed. That results in the boat not being leveraged out of the water near as much as the taps 3 was when the system is on. That means more wave in all categories. Then new system and actuators also have a built in position sensor. The system in real time knows exactly what position the plate is in and can duplicate it over and over. This is a big improvement over the old system which was merely based on run time. The system was programmed to send power up or down to the actuator for a specified amount of time. The issue with that was that you could get some inconsistency there in terms of power, load etc.

As far as the ZX hull to the RZX....

Undoubtedly their are some similarities between the two but they are definitively different. Without getting into the bottom design you need only look to the wakeboard wake to see the proof. Both wakeboard but the RZX wakeboards very well.

IMO, if you are primarily surfing I would go ZX and not give it a second look.
                  Germaine Marine
                  "A proud dealer of Tige, Supra, Moomba and ATX performance boats"

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. I will be surfing 100% of the time.

Comment

Working...
                    X