Ford F150 w 2.7L ecoboost

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ford F150 w 2.7L ecoboost

Im considering trading my 2011 Toyota tundra 5.7L for a new F150 with 2.7L ecoboost. My tundra has been fantastic for 230k miles, but I drive 35k miles a year and would like to get better than 14mpg on highway while not towing. I know a couple guys with 2.7L 4wd and swear they are getting 22-23mpg on highway but they do not own or tow boats.

Anyone on hear own and care to give opinion on their 2.7L ecoboost?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2011 3.5 eco. if i keep it at 65 i can get 22mpg, that's worth just me, no payload. but i am usually around 75 and get about 19 at those speeds.

towing kills mpg also. In think last time towing my R23 highway i got around 11mpg, going 65ish.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

I’ve pulled my R23 with a 2019 3.5L Ecco boost and it got 10-11mpg. It still had plenty of motor left too. I was surprised at how well it pulled.

Comment

Originally posted by Bamer View Post
        I’ve pulled my R23 with a 2019 3.5L Ecco boost and it got 10-11mpg. It still had plenty of motor left too. I was surprised at how well it pulled.
        We have similar numbers and results with our 2018 3.5L Eco Boost. We bought ours on a recommendation from thegerman618 on here. We have pulled our Z3 with 1100 pounds in lead and she handled it like a champ! Before the feedback starts... I don't do this regularly!

Comment

If I was looking at a new half ton, it would be the new generation Ram 1500 ecodiesel to replace the 2015 I already have. They made a ton of improvements for this model year and looks to be a great truck. Towing my 8600 pound pig to Mead this year I got 13 MPG. Running empty on the freeway (75mph) I get 25-27mpg. The towing specs and MPG have increased as well for this new MY. I'm not sure, but think the ecoboost require 91 gas. Around my parts that is the same price as diesel. So fuel price would be a wash. If you can run 85-87 then you may be money ahead with the ecoboost getting fewer MPG.

Comment

^^ Don't think does require 91 unless that's new. My 14 doesn't.

If you want the best mpg the ecodiesel would most likely do it better. Ford has a diesel F150 as well but I don't know much about it. When not pulling if you want a truck that is a bit more sporty than the F150 EB would be that truck.

The first thing you need to understand is an Ecoboost is one or the other....not both. If you keep your foot out of it then the truck does pretty good. As soon as those tubo's are spooling then you are no longer eco. My 14 has been great pulling my boat even when loaded with gear. I can pull my loaded VE up a 8% grade at 60-65mph. I may be sucking back gas like no tomorrow but the truck can do it and then some.

The only thing I notice would be the braking as I also have to come down that 8% grade. Electric over hydraulic can easily fix that however.

Comment

Originally posted by Bamer View Post

I also had 900lbs lead too. 600 in boat n 300 in truck

Comment

Originally posted by UNSTUCK View Post
                I'm not sure, but think the ecoboost require 91 gas. Around my parts that is the same price as diesel. So fuel price would be a wash. If you can run 85-87 then you may be money ahead with the ecoboost getting fewer MPG.
                Our '18 3.5 Ecoboost runs on 87.

Comment

dodge is the only brand of truck I have not ever owned. that being said if I was driving 35k/yr in a truck and needed to tow a boat, I would look long at the ecodiesel over an ecoboost.
                  I know a couple back in WI that owned them and although they were not towing boats regularly all of them commented on the high-20's gas mileage and not needed to worry about "keeping your foot out of it".

knowing what trucks cost and driving that many miles, might be worth pen to paper to see if keeping the truck in the garage and buying a daily communter would be a payback over 5 or 10 years. that's a lot of miles on a not very efficient vehicle that cost a mint. turn the toyota into a tow pig and get something fun to drive that many miles...
                  unless you need a truck bed for hauling all of those miles.
                  2012 22ve.. RIP 4/17
                  2014 Z3.. Surf away

Comment

New f150 diesel gets 25mpg combined and 11400 towing. Always forget you americans pay way more for diesel compared to gas tho.

Comment

I havent been in an F150 with the 2.7, just an Escape(or whatever stupid CUV that we rented). I would say stick with the 3.5 EcoBoost if towing is in your future.

As far as ecodiesel vs ecoboost, I'd be interested to see how many miles youd have to drive to get a ROI. The diesels are all marked up (I believe like 6k in the half tons and 10k in the HD segment). Gas is 50-60 cents cheaper per gallon than diesel typically year round in our area. 6k buys a lot of regular gas. Feel like youd have to drive the truck a lot of miles to justify it(which OP does).

https://youtu.be/LjXAyK4GhGs

^^the boys at TFL do pretty good reviews.

Comment

Looks like a 4k upgrade for the diesel over the 2.7L so not bad. Really depends on the usage.

Comment

Go with the 5.0 and stay away from a little V6 that needs 2 turbos to power the little motor. My 5.0 pulls my 2200v all over Texas, Oklahoma and Arkansas without a problem.

Comment

I’d echo the concern about the 2.7 L. That’s probably enough motor to bring some lumber home from Home Depot, but it isn’t going to have the push for a big wake boat. The 5.0 v8 will get better gas mileage then the big Toyota motor IMO, but you will probably never do better the 18 with a motor that can pull the boat, unless you go diesel (and the points in here about return on up front cost are spot on)

Good luck man.

Comment

All good comments. By the way, I bought a mazda 6 in April for my commuter and I leave my tundra in the driveway. The mazda has been a great move financially. The mazda avgs 32mpg driving 80. The reduction in gas cost easily covers my payment and a bit of my insurance. However, Ive noticed how much more aggressive drivers are towards me while driving the car and its made me second guess the safety side of things.

I do like the ram ecodiesel but it appear to be closer to 10k more than the 2.7L in my area. The higher cost of diesel doesnt help either.

This video also intrigued me about the 2.7.
                              https://youtu.be/jB7cq7TK6UA

Comment

Working...
                              X