2017 Bilge pump / Warranty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2017 Bilge pump / Warranty

So Marine Max is our Florida Tige dealer now and I have my 2017 Z1, with 122 hours, in for service as well as bilge filling with water which they state is not covered under Tige warranty or Extended Tige warranty.

Is this truly the case.

And what about the charges do those seem correct for bilge pump?

Job #2 - External
    COMPLAINT: CUST STATES ENGINE MAY HAVE AN OIL LEAK, OIL IN BILGE WATER
    CAUSE: Check for oil/ fluid leak within bilge
    CORRECTION: placed mats to absorb oil/fliuds within bilge while engine ran for more than 30 mins.
    Outcome, no leaks were found, bilge was washed out to remove oil residue
    Labor
    Code Description Mechanic Total
    DIAG OIL FOUND IN BILGE WATER SC 67.50
    DIAG BILGE PUMP FAULT SC 67.50
    TC R&R BILGE PUMP 67.50
    Part # Description Qty Price Total
    Parts
    MM3075065 LOPRO 900 AUTO BILGE PUMP 1.00 86.99
    Subtotal for Job #2: 289.49

Job #7 - External
    COMPLAINT: CUST STATES HE IS SEEING MORE WATER IN THE BILGE THAN NORMAL.
    CAUSE: water leakage; check for water leaks
    CORRECTION: tightened wash out cap; while running the boat for more than 30 mins; All ballists were
    filled and drained; no leaking water was found. However, the bilge pump had a fault 44 (open circuit) and a
    stored fault of SPN: 707 / FMI:3 / OC:13
    Will need to Diag the bilge pump for operation.
    Labor
    Code Description Mechanic Total
    DIAG INSPEC FOR WATER LEAKS WHILE RUNNING ENG IN TANK SC 27.00
    DIAG TEST RUN ENGINE AND CHECK FOR WATER LEAKS SC 67.50
    Subtotal for Job #7: 94.50

Total is 383.99 just for bilge not operating correctly with Tige 5 year warranty??

Thanks in advance !!
    Last edited by Ironrequiem; 11-24-2019, 02:18 PM.

I mean less than 400 for diagnosing problems that probably took close to a full day isn't that bad, I've payed the same for similar things but it wasn't at a Tige dealer so it makes sense. But having said that you have warranty and warranty covers labour for up to 5 years at a dealership. So I would not be paying for that...

Comment

Thanks bsreid, the warranty / labor is where my question is.
      The warranty excludes "pumps" but what about labor?
      But what are Bow-to-Stern components covering?

Hopefully Koolaid can give some insight.
      Last edited by Ironrequiem; 11-25-2019, 01:34 AM.

Comment

Here you guy. Tige 5

https://tige.com/assets/downloads/20...5-Warranty.pdf

Comment

Yes, I have that.
          It states 5 years parts / labor Bow to Stern Components.
          But, under LIMITATIONS it states;
          The following are excluded from coverage under this limited warranty:
          Steering cables, batteries, pumps, impellers, filters, and normal mechanical/maintenance items.

Confusing me, maybe bilge is not part of the stern?

Comment

I'd be surprised if they had more then 2 hours on this boat. They put the boat in their tank and ran it for half an hour. In that time they looked for oil leaks, filled the ballast and looked for water leaks. Then they plugged the computer in and check codes. Pulled the codes and stopped there. I don't read where they made any repairs.

More and more I think repair shops in general are more than happy just collecting diagnostic fees these days. They get a pretty good wage from it and don't have to actually do any real work.

Bilge pumps are not warrantied items? How can this be? I would rate the bilge pump as one of the most critical items on the boat. And Tige wont stand behind it? What's the thinking here?

Comment

That is just the estimate to repair bilge. They have been given approval to start repair.
              Asked about picking up this Friday and they state that they need to get a MODULE / SOFTWARE from Tige to remove fault codes after repairs and they are not sure if Tige will send that out prior to Holiday...
              Remember this is MARINE MAX, first attempt at Tige brand and I am probably their first Tige and or Ski boat repair.

Comment

Originally posted by UNSTUCK View Post
                More and more I think repair shops in general are more than happy just collecting diagnostic fees these days. They get a pretty good wage from it and don't have to actually do any real work.
                I realize this is a forum, and we all offer our opinions and advice on here, but this appears to be a stretch. Do you have any data to support this negative opinion? Have you seen multiple dealerships take the approach of diagnostics to collect fees? Anything to show they aren't doing any work? Or is this just the story you are telling yourself? I'd like to think most dealerships operate with a certain level of integrity, otherwise the market would drive them out of business (something many of us observed first hand in Southern California a few years back). I am sure there are a few overcharging and avoiding "real work" as you put it... but I would like to think that's the exception, not the norm.
                Last edited by D&P Powell; 11-25-2019, 10:35 PM. Reason: spelling error

Comment

I feel they are doing the work stated and everything has been on track...they are also doing a 125 hr service since the boat is new to me since 80 hrs.
                  I had a bad set of Tige emblems which Tige covered parts and labor.
                  They also found the starter to be bad which Indmar is covering parts and labor.

I wasn't trying to promote a negative opinion, MM Orlando has just picked up the Tige brand and I just had some questions regarding bilge pump warranty and labor.
                  As they are new to Tige, I am sure they have some questions as to warranty and extended warranties as well.

Although new to Tige, they are not new to Sea Ray, Scout and Grady White so I'm sure they know how to provide warranty work.

Comment

Originally posted by D&P Powell View Post
                    I realize this is a forum, and we all offer our opinions and advice on here, but this appears to be a stretch. Do you have any data to support this negative opinion? Have you seen muptilple dealerships take the approach of diagnostics to collect fees? Anything to show they aren't doing any work? Or is this just the story you are telling yourself? I'd like to think most dealerships operate with a certain level of integrity, otherwise the market would drive them out of business (something many of us observed first hand in Southern California a few years back). I am sure there are a few overcharging and avoiding "real work" as you put it... but I would like to think that's the exception, not the norm.
                    My comment wasn't directed specifically at the marine industry, although it could be included. I just said, "repair shops in general". I manage a large fleet of equipment, from semis, trailers, small trucks, industrial manufacturing equipment, etc. All have their own repair facilities, as well as what we do in house. I see this stuff often. A month or ago we had a trailer at a repair shop to get a quote on some brake issues. We opted not to have them do the repair. We picked the trailer up and brought it back for an in house repair. As is normal, they sent me a bill for the quote, which I paid, but was not happy about what they charged, because I know exactly what was involved with the inspection and how long it should have. And now today, right here on my desk, I'm looking at an $1100 bill from them for the work on that trailer that they quoted us, but never even did!

So yeah, today I'm a bit bitter. But yes, I see this kind of stuff becoming more normal.

Comment

I see you are using MM Orlando. That used to be Parker boats and is where I bought my 2012 RZR. I took our boat there once for some of the early break in services then ran. They had become Marinemax by then so not their first time dealing with Tige. After that I would hall all the way to Tampa through Orlando right past Marinemax form JAX to go to Fortes. Sadly they don't deal in the boat business anymore.

I have started going to Transition Watersports in Oklawaha. https://www.transitionwatersports.com/

They have been great. They are a wakeboat dealer first and really know their stuff. I have been very pleased with them. While not a tige dealer they service a lot of Tiges. I know they can perform warranty work on pcm not sure if authorized for Tige but hey once the warranty is up.

While not as convenient as Marine Max I don't think that would be to far for you.

Comment

Thanks Whiteflash,
                        We loved Forte's and were sad to see them retire from boats.
                        P.S. If you ever attended one of their Tige reunions in Winter Haven, we are right next door to that hotel.
                        It was great to see Fortes and all the Tige's take over Lake Roy!!

I actually purchased this Z1 from Transition Watersports and they are GREAT !!!

They said when I purchased the Z that they could handle my Indmar service and warranty but could be a bit tricky with the Tige warranty since they are not authorized Tige.
                        They stated that Tige approached them regarding picking up the Tige brand but Transition stated they did not have the square footage to facilitate.

So this is my first go around with Marine Max Orlando, I brought it up for service and I had a bad batch of emblems, noticed extra water in the bilge as well as the starter ended up being defective since sitting after my shoulder surgery in June.
                        Had some questions as to coverage of warranty but I think all is straightened out.
                        So far so good and I should be picking up boat on Friday.

Happy Thanksgiving to the entire forum !!!
                        Last edited by Ironrequiem; 11-27-2019, 05:40 PM.

Comment

I'd be surprised if they had more then 2 hours on this boat. They put the boat in their tank and ran it for half an hour. In that time they looked for oil leaks, filled the ballast and looked for water leaks. Then they plugged the computer in and check codes. Pulled the codes and stopped there. I don't read where they made any repairs.

Bilge pumps are not warrantied items? How can this be? I would rate the bilge pump as one of the most critical items on the boat. And Tige wont stand behind it? What's the thinking here?
                          Its really simple.... A bilge pump is a wearable item.

No one can track how users operate their boats. Speaking from the position of someone who was once just a hobbyist who is an OCD monster to someone who now is in the industry, I will tell you this. Most people and I mean upwards of 75% are horrible with maintenance and by maintenance I mean just following the simple doos and don'ts. A majority of people don't yank plugs, leave water in the bilge for days, change their own oil and let it wash down into the bilge so the the bilge can do the work. You name it and I've seen it.

A lot of us on here aren't that way, but this site is also comprised of the select few that aren't the norm. With that said ill ask this question without picking a side because in all honesty in some cases I think things need to be fixed outside of the scope of warranty but ill ask anyway....

Is it fair for Tige to pick up the tab on a bilge pump if the boat has been improperly maintained and more specifically given its clearly stated in the warranty that it isn't covered ?

This case probably doesn't fall into that category but where do you draw the line? The only thing you can do is say.. "its just not a warranty covered item, ever"
                          Germaine Marine
                          "A proud dealer of Tige, Supra, Moomba and ATX performance boats"

Comment

That is definitely your opinion. It isn't really logical though.

Let me make sure I get this right, so what you are saying is that you feel most shops only want to diag work and let the customer walk away unhappy that they can't get their boat fixed? Sounds like a great way to retain a customer base.............
                            Germaine Marine
                            "A proud dealer of Tige, Supra, Moomba and ATX performance boats"

Comment

Originally posted by Germaine Marine View Post
                              Its really simple.... A bilge pump is a wearable item.
                              So is the engine, transmission, actuators, etc, etc. All wearable items. They're covered.

Now if a boat sinks and the owner says it's because the bilge pump didn't turn on, and then later that pump is found to be full of old engine oil because the owner did his own servicing and just let the oil drain in the bilge, that's obviously different.

Originally posted by Germaine Marine View Post
                              Let me make sure I get this right, so what you are saying is that you feel most shops only want to diag work and let the customer walk away unhappy that they can't get their boat fixed? Sounds like a great way to retain a customer base.............
                              No, you didn't get it right.

Comment

Working...
                              X