There are always extra parts...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There are always extra parts...

Recently had our boat winterized and used it as an opportunity to have dealership check on a slow starboard ballast pump that was nagging me all Summer. They pulled the floor and ballast covers to look for possible line kinks as part of the diagnostic process.

I got the boat back this weekend -With new pump. Thanks Tige! -and while cleaning out the lockers, P-n-P ballast bags, etc for storage, I noticed the ballast cover was not screwed back down all the way with one screw missing.

To make sure screw wasn't accidentally near the onboard rear ballast in a way that could puncture it, I removed the cover and checked around and under the onboard ballast and to my surprise found 4 screws under it. Then checked port side: 3 screws and various other odds and ends. Never did find the 3rd ballast cover screw???

Moral to the story, Tige builds a great boat, but their process is a bit sloppy.

I'ld recommend taking the time before the next season starts to peek under your factory ballast to see what sharp objects may be lurking there.

...Now the sad 6 months of no boating begins....

I'm always amazed at what I find when I start digging around. Saying their process is a bit sloppy is an understatement sometimes.

Comment

my '06 supra was littered with pieces/parts in nooks and crannies when I cut it up to install a stereo.
      the '12 22ve we had was pretty clean compared.
      2012 22ve.. RIP 4/17
      2014 Z3.. Surf away

Comment

I have owned Tige, Mastercraft, Malibu and Nautique. They all typically come with some 'bilge trash' as I like to call it.
        Be excellent to one another.

Comment

Originally posted by talltigeguy View Post
          I have owned Tige, Mastercraft, Malibu and Nautique. They all typically come with some 'bilge trash' as I like to call it.
          I will second this. Some do better than others but I think you will always find a stray washer, zip tie end, nut, screw etc.

https://www.rollcall.com/news/congre...rs-second-time

^^Its not just a boat manufacturer problem.

Comment

Originally posted by freeheel4life View Post
            I will second this. Some do better than others but I think you will always find a stray washer, zip tie end, nut, screw etc.

https://www.rollcall.com/news/congre...rs-second-time

^^Its not just a boat manufacturer problem.
            Ill 3rd it. Seen lots of manufacturers with left over hardware in a boat.

To date, I think the best of my finds, was a Makita angle head flash light behind the bow cushions on an 07 20V Beyond that, a couple sockets/bits and some cheap rusty pliers. Didnt keep the light, it was more duct tape then light anymore, and I dont have any Makita so no way to recharge without buying a charger.
            Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

chp probably has a lot more insight into this with his audio background but I bet I've installed stereos in over 2 dozen cars ripping out carpet/trunks/seats and I've never found pieces/parts in automobiles like I have seen in the couple boats I have worked on.
              2012 22ve.. RIP 4/17
              2014 Z3.. Surf away

Comment

Hand made vs machine made I bet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I guess we should be grateful for the accidental bonus ballast. Just wish they had left it in more surfable placement

I am just more concerned with them being wood or deckscrews with sharp points rather than machine screws.

@chpthril a flashlight! Makes me want to take a closer look to see what other Easter eggs may lurk below decks.

Comment

Bilge Booty! I found lots of stuff when I was rigging boats. It’s not worth the manufactures time to have their employees digging around the bilge for a screw or washer or whatever. I found a blue drain plug, screws/washers and rusty Bic lighter in mine.
                    You'll get your chance, smart guy.

Comment

It's pretty common to find washers, zip ties, and maybe a socket or pliers. I've never had an instance of a screw puncturing a ballast bag so I wouldn't worry too much.

Comment

At one time we used Makita cordless drills. I'm kind of surprised Mike didn't find one lol! Under ballast is a huge no no. Now they use cover plates once the bags are installed to keep it from happening. Remember there is over a hundred people who are in and out of that boat in the 12 days its being built, stuff is going to fall in places they can't reach. Then they work their way into the bilge. I have to admit, its much better now than what it used to be in the early 2000's. You would find all kinds of discs left from cutting holes in the boats.
                        Oh Yeah!

Comment

Working...
                        X