Back up ballast pump?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Back up ballast pump?

I thought I would reach out to this community to get a recommendation for a back-up plan in case a ballast pump fails. I am particularly concerned about a drain pump failing. I had the port/aft pump fail a couple of times, and it made for a rough afternoon pulling out of a steep ramp and towing home. Once out of water, I know I can pull the fittings to empty PnP bag, and pull the pump to drain the bag under the floor, but the port side pump is under the batteries so not a trivial task.

I am thinking about buying an external pump (like a FatSac Tsunami), but would that allow me to drain any bag if a pump fails? If so, how and what fittings would be required for a 2019 R21? I particularly like the external pump idea if that would work because I should be able to use it as a backup bilge pump in an emergency, too, right?

In the end, I might move the batteries so that I have an easier access to the pump. Thanks for any words of advice.

What kind of fittings does your rear pnp bags have? If they have the threaded screw in ones you can take a fly high thread from the standard tsunami pump and be ready to go. If it’s the glued in quick connect you will need a couple different fittings to go from the fly high quick connect to the threads on the bottom of the pump.

Comment

You would still have to access the sub-floor ballast to drain it. An aerator pump attached to the above floor sac, would not suck water from the sub-floor. An impeller pump would though. IIRC, Tige was still using the barbed thru-hull style fittings glued into the sacs. No threaded ports.
      Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Yes my solution would only drain the pnp bag but you could just pop the top off the pump and drain the rest into the bilge.

Comment

I carry a tsunami aerator pump with me for this reason. That and i fill a couple fly high bricks from time to time when I’m short on people. My rear sacks are Wakemakers and my front is Fly High so I have to have different fittings because of the size differences to be able to drain them all but have yet to ever need to use them.
          I got an adaptor from Wakemakers to fit to a fly high quick connect drain fitting for my rear Wakemakers bags and I have a regular fly high quick connect for the bow. I run reversible pumps in my system.

A1B7FE62-6C91-4A77-910A-FF25E2C2CE67.jpg
          DAFAFE25-50C4-498F-910B-DEF5AE42EE79.jpg

Comment

Working...
          X