Bilge replacement mount

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bilge replacement mount

Hi guys! I am replacing my bilge pump on my 2001 21V riders edition. So the old pump was mounted in the very back of the boat, right under the belts on the engine and where the engine fan vents. They used 4 screws right into the grey floor (which I’m assuming is fiber glass). The screws were no longer than 1/4” long if that.

I used marine epoxied to close the existing holes and tried using the same screw length to mount the new one but they won’t grab. I used a tad longer screw and it started biting hard. It sounded like wood so I decided to stop until I know exactly what is under there. Is that center portion lifted slight because there is wood under that grey coating?

Are screws the right way to do it or is that risky? I read online some guys we screw to a 1x4 piece of wood and then epoxy or silicone that to the boat.

Thanks for the help guys, God bless!
    Last edited by NewTigeWhoDis; 11-05-2019, 10:43 PM.

Yes there is marine wood under the coating. If you can use a small drill bit to pre-drill a few holes for your screws, it makes them grab better being a short screw. I always put a little sealer on the screws as well when putting them in just to keep water out of the holes as best as possible. You can go the 1x4 route but then your pump doesn't sit as low and your bilge which always leaves more water in the bilge.

Comment

Working...
    X