Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2014 Z3 - Things to Check

Hey guys,

Have a buddy looking at a 2014 Z3. What are the things he should check on that we've seen? I cant remember if the tower and vinyl issues were in that year range.

Also, if you were going to sell one, how much?

-BP

If I recall 2014 was good for vinyl as 13 was the year of problems.

Besides the obvious mechanical stuff I would say just run through everything on the touchscreen and stereo just to make sure things work. If doing a water demo which I would highly recommend test all ballasts, cruise, various rpm, etc. Mechanical history and service records is a good one to have as well.

Id say anywhere from high 50s to mid 60s depending on options and condition.

Comment

Here are a few items I would look at based on my experience with the Z3;
      -first and foremost - the vinyl. The bad run was 14-15. If its the metallic silver, check it even closer
      -the screen on the Tige Touch for bubbles, etc.
      -the bow ballast bags for leaks (see if there is dampness in the forward port locker after you have filled them) and the aft ballast bags at the fittings
      -tower tow point (easy fix, but they often have to be tightened)
      -missing rubber bumpers on the transom lockers (another easy fix, but something to be aware of)
      -Tige Stickers on the aft quarters (everyone here knows about those, lol)
      -See if it has the Navigation Charts downloaded... just good to know if it has it or not
      -Rollers under the trailer (underneath the flat bar aft, under the prop). Sounds ridiculous, but my 14 didnt have them and I sure wish it had!

You can tell I am not mechanical, as all my recommendations are outside of the engine compartment. I would personally take it to a Tige dealer for a mechanical run down. As for listing one, it would of course depend largely on the hours and condition of everything, as well as if it had AVX(probably), TAPS 3 (less likely), or GSA (doubtful). I know personally, if it had AVX the price would be lower than TAPS 3 or GSA, but that comment will undoubtedly start a debate (jslayde chiming in any second now, ). There are currently 5 '14 Z3s on Only Inboards (https://www.onlyinboards.com/Used-sk...me=6&Model=193) priced anywhere from $59.900 US to $73,700 US. I was going to say in the mid $60s... sounds like I might be close without the full picture of the boat being discussed. Hope this helps.

Comment

echo dave's sentiments.
        our '14 that we bought last year has vinyl issues. mostly on seats that rub such as the one that hinges where the trashcan is stored.

that said we paid $64k for ours last september. 125hrs on the clock-ish. huge stereo that's a mess but components are there. wakemakers upgraded enzo sacks. only downside is the rims have some rash and tt has a bubble otherwise it was a nice boat. for pricing comparisons.
        we were comparing it to a '13 that had factory full ws stereo and upgraded ballast but other wise stock. it had 150hrs on it and was at 59k. I think 56 would have taken it. both boats have convex vx. I didn't think avx was available in '14 but don't know for sure.
        2012 22ve.. RIP 4/17
        2014 Z3.. Surf away

Comment

Originally posted by D&P Powell View Post
          ...but that comment will undoubtedly start a debate (jslayde chiming in any second now, )..
          Ha Ha! Best wave ever!!!

Typically the 14 year model should be the VX - not the AVX, which is a little less desirable. Unless of course it was a late model 14...

So I actually had TAPS3 installed on my boat to sell - I had more 'issues' about the hours when trying to sell than any surf system I had on it. Just sayin...

Comment

Working...
          X