Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bilge pump

Hi guys!

Just bought a 2001 21v riders edition. When we took it out to test drive the bilge worked just fine. The owner kicked it on and it emptied out water for about 10 seconds, then the stream was a slow trickle so we kicked it off. Previous owner said they rarely used it and if they did it was as the were pulling the boat out when it was on an incline.

I kicked it on this weekend and could not hear it at all. Had my nephew listen in the water outlet and did not hear it running. Nor did we see any water come out. I am assuming that these things are loud enough to hear.

Does anyone know where they are located in the boat if it does need to be swapped out? Or is it common to not be able to hear them and to not have water pumped out.

9B010970-AF57-48B7-B6A9-6FCDCBA8CC3E.jpg9B010970-AF57-48B7-B6A9-6FCDCBA8CC3E.jpg
    Last edited by NewTigeWhoDis; 10-29-2019, 04:58 PM.

The owner kicked it on and it emptied out water for about 10 seconds and then kicked off.
    Sounds like thats when it bit the dust. Its likely below the front part of the engine, close to the transom.
    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Originally posted by chpthril View Post
      Sounds like thats when it bit the dust. Its likely below the front part of the engine, close to the transom.
      Sorry my description of when he ran it wasn’t the best. There was only about 10 seconds worth of water in there and then it was turned off. Should it be loud enough to hear if I’m sitting in the captains chair?

Also, is the wiring just from the on and off switch to the pump location? There isn’t much info on the 2001

Comment

Gotcha. Bilge pumps usually do not shut themselves off during manual mode.

if its a 3-wire pump, there will be a brown wire run direct to the battery in addition to the brown running to the switch, plus a black wire that grounds somewhere.
        Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Gotcha. Bilge pumps usually do not shut themselves off during manual mode.

if its a 3-wire pump, there will be a brown wire run direct to the battery in addition to the brown running to the switch, plus a black wire that grounds somewhere.
          Makes sense. Do all bilge pumps have auto float switches?

Comment

No, but just about every boat builder these days, use an auto bilge pump. A 2001, I cant recall if Tige used one or just a simple manual.

Comment

No, but just about every boat builder these days, use an auto bilge pump. A 2001, I cant recall if Tige used one or just a simple manual.
              Should have been a float switch for that year model. if you flip the switch and it shuts off after 10 seconds, the pump is most likely toast. You may not be able to hear it from the helm. Open the center hatch and you should be able to hear it buzzing.
              Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by KoolAid View Post
                Should have been a float switch for that year model. if you flip the switch and it shuts off after 10 seconds, the pump is most likely toast. You may not be able to hear it from the helm. Open the center hatch and you should be able to hear it buzzing.
                I explained that wrong in the initial post. We took the boat out for a test ride, it pumped out water for about 10 seconds, and then went to a slow trickle so he shut it off.

The first time I tested it no water pumped out and I didn’t hear it run but I also didn’t take on any water. This last trip out I took some water of the bow and I thought for sure it would pump out water but no water and no pump noise.

Comment

It takes a few inches of water for the float to kick on the pump. Test the pump by flipping the dash switch and listen for it. Also double check the fuse for the auto bilge. Its located on the cranking batter, brown wire, with a little fuse holder.
                  Oh Yeah!

Comment

They aren’t very load so it’d be tough to hear sitting at the helm unless the engine compartment is open and it’s really quiet. Just flip the switch and poke your head towards the aft side of the engine compartment. You should be able to hear it then.

Comment

Working...
                    X