Boat Trailer Declined Driveway

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boat Trailer Declined Driveway

I’m attempting to leave my 21’ Tige Z1 parked in my driveway, but there is a slight decline. Of course I’ll have it Bow to Stern for drainage, but the decline will ist more aff, by about 1.5 degrees or so. I have all wheels chocked, but am nervous to take it completely off my truck, in that the chocks would slip during winds or weather.

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chock it and then let the truck roll forward till the wheels are fully engaged on the chocks. Then you can disconnect. It won’t move. The weight of the boat is holding them down. I might be slightly concerned if there is ice so melt it first.

Comment

I stored mine in a steeper decline with no issues. If you are in doubt get bigger chocks, though I was using regular house bricks for mine.

Comment

So I have those rubber chocks from harbor freight, 4X4s and like 65 pound house bricks.

Just trying to sanity check myself before I end up on “Bad Boat Drivers”.

Comment

you can always get something like this for a little added resistance if you thought you needed it.

https://www.etrailer.com/Camper-Jack.../CAM44662.html

Comment

Just back on to the chocks so there is more of the trailer weight on them. I parked my trailer on my driveway this year and it was fine be a decline. The more annoying part if anything is trying to get the hitch to release as it has more pressure holding on to the ball.

Comment

Originally posted by jonathanprovins View Post
              I’m attempting to leave my 21’ Tige Z1 parked in my driveway, but there is a slight decline. Of course I’ll have it Bow to Stern for drainage, but the decline will ist more aff, by about 1.5 degrees or so. I have all wheels chocked, but am nervous to take it completely off my truck, in that the chocks would slip during winds or weather.

Thoughts?

Obviously its over kill but a few houses I have had have had some steep driveways. For a little added protection I had a concrete guy come out and drill 2 holes about 8 feet apart. I think they were 1 1/4. Had a couple threaded stainless inserts made that fit nearly flush and simpson strong tied them in. You couldnt even tell they were there. Had a couple 1 inch stainless threaded loops made. Then just ran a cable through each one to the axle underneath. God forbid something happened the trailer wasnt going anywhere.
              Germaine Marine
              "A proud dealer of Tige, Supra, Moomba and ATX performance boats"

Comment

Originally posted by Germaine Marine View Post
                Obviously its over kill but a few houses I have had have had some steep driveways. For a little added protection I had a concrete guy come out and drill 2 holes about 8 feet apart. I think they were 1 1/4. Had a couple threaded stainless inserts made that fit nearly flush and simpson strong tied them in. You couldnt even tell they were there. Had a couple 1 inch stainless threaded loops made. Then just ran a cable through each one to the axle underneath. God forbid something happened the trailer wasnt going anywhere.
                Sooooo, you took shelter in the boat during tornado warnings? Lol

Actually pretty good idea for peace of mind!

Comment

Originally posted by Bamer View Post
                  Sooooo, you took shelter in the boat during tornado warnings? Lol

Actually pretty good idea for peace of mind!

Pretty much!. I was always worried more or less that a kid playing when I wasnt home around the trailer either moved a chalk, or did something that caused it roll down the hill. I wouldnt be able to live with myself if it killed someone whether it was self inflicted or not. Like most on here I have too much to lose also. The thought of an incident and someone saying I was negligent didnt sit well with me. This was the only way aside from moving it.
                  Germaine Marine
                  "A proud dealer of Tige, Supra, Moomba and ATX performance boats"

Comment

I parked mine last winter on a much steeper incline with just rubber stops from Home Depot and it was 100% fine, didn't move in any ice or snow...

Comment

One other thing you can do IF your trailer surge brakes are functioning properly....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MAGNETIC-LO...-/120941559235

^^buy one of these. Chock wheels and backup to compress the master cylinder. Then put the above tool in pointed towards the back of the boat. Will keep the brakes locked all winter.

Side note, it's a good tool to have anyways. If the fuse for backup lights ever goes on your truck it will get you out of a jam, and I've used mine for other people stuck at the ramp to get them out of my way. Lives in the door of the truck and is cheap.

Comment

Don’t boatmate trailers come with a metal break lockout? My first one did and my dealer forgot it on the last one but I already had one so it doesn’t matter.
                        Or just a couple nuts and electrical tape do the trick, my mechanic always does that for his forklift.

Comment

Originally posted by freeheel4life View Post
                          One other thing you can do IF your trailer surge brakes are functioning properly....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MAGNETIC-LO...-/120941559235

^^buy one of these. Chock wheels and backup to compress the master cylinder. Then put the above tool in pointed towards the back of the boat. Will keep the brakes locked all winter.

Side note, it's a good tool to have anyways. If the fuse for backup lights ever goes on your truck it will get you out of a jam, and I've used mine for other people stuck at the ramp to get them out of my way. Lives in the door of the truck and is cheap.
                          Cool idea to put the lock out key in front of the pin. My shop floor is level but i fight a slight incline to get into the door.,
                          Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

camper jack

Originally posted by Ruger761 View Post
                            you can always get something like this for a little added resistance if you thought you needed it.

https://www.etrailer.com/Camper-Jack.../CAM44662.html

I can vouch for this as well, this on one side and a small "yellow cheese block" chock on the other side. I have a fair slope on my driveway and I feel very secure with this.
                            Or even one for both sides. The tires certainly will not turn, I guess all the tires could still slide.
                            Last edited by lilkw; 10-31-2019, 02:59 AM.

Comment

If your driveway is quite level and there is a chance of the boat rolling the other way, don't forget to put the wheel chock between the two tires, so that you might get some help if the trailer decides to go the other direction.

Even a 2 by 4 works pretty well. Just try backing your boat slowly over one with it attached to the truck and you will find it takes a fair amount of oomph to get over it.
                              Be excellent to one another.

Comment

Working...
                              X