RZX Rear Corner Seat Cushions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RZX Rear Corner Seat Cushions

I know this has come up a bit in different threads, but I've decided to make this its own topic. Hopefully this isn't an issue with everyone's boats.

Since taking ownership of my RZX3 the two rear corner seat cushions have been like sponges full of water. They have never dried out. Every time we sit or step on them water gets pushed out the stitching holes. We don't have this problem with any other seats, engine covers, etc. On Saturday, during my winterization process I decided it was time to remove them. I didn't know what to expect, but in the end was disappointed with what I found. Each cushion is held in place with two 1/4" lock nuts and medium fender washers. The cushion backing has two 1/4" studs attached. Removal was simple enough, but each cushion had one washer that was wedged into the hole saw hole cut in the fiberglass which made removing a pain. As seen in the pictures are the hole saw holes. One inch wide and overlapped to be about 1 1/2" long. The holes are just smaller than the fender washer diameter, but since the holes weren't lined up right, the washer sat half on the fiberglass and half in the hole.
    Once the cushions were removed I found a nasty moldy mess underneath. I vacuumed most of it up before thinking to take a picture of it. Just imagine 2 years of water trapped....you get the idea. The mold spread to the seat back cushions as well, but fortunately wasn't bad. It all cleaned up pretty well and am happy about that. The question is, how do I prevent it going forward? I think the seat bottom vinyl needs to be replaced as it won't come clean and I'd like to start over with it. I'll do that over the winter. I'm thinking I'll drill a bunch of 1/4" holes in both the plastic seat bottom and the fiberglass under it. Seems to me that the water just doesn't have anywhere to go. At the same time, I'm not even sure how the water gets in them. We don't really step on those seats, and for sure not with water running off of us. Anyways, I'm hoping the holes will allow the water to drain out, preventing the build up issue we are having.
    When going back together, I will use large fender washers so I don't run into the removal issue I had. I will also use wing nuts so that I can quickly remove the seats and clean up under them every trip or two.

I know my RZX3 was one of the first made, in 2016. I'm wondering if they did something different to prevent this issue in the later years or if everyone is having this problem? Have any of you done something like this to prevent the water build up? If so, has it worked? Any other ideas I should consider before drilling a bunch of holes?

Here's what's left of the dirt and mold after vacuuming it.
    017.jpg

The over sized hole/undersized washer.
    018.jpg

The stains I can't get off the seat cushions.
    019.jpg

I'm thinking I'll drill 15-20 holes in the black plastic to allow water to run out.
    021.jpg

I'll drill the same 15-20 holes in the fiberglass to let the water run all the way out.
    022.jpg

023.jpg

Cleaned up pretty good.
    024.jpg

My 2018 RZX3 had the same issue with the seats holding water. I told my dealer about it last winter. He basically did what you are talking about so that the water will drain out of the seat bottoms. Seemed to be better this past summer. It is a design flaw...

Comment

Yah, I’ve noticed that almost all my cushions have a breath hole in the bottom of it. I’m kind Of surprised these don’t? I have an older 22ve, so much different generation of boat

I’ll look next time I’m down there. Being as these seats don’t need an structural support (they are sitting in a solid surface), I don’t see how it hurts them to drill a hole or 4 in the bottom

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Every single Tige I have ever been in has had this problem on the rear corner seats. They either need to make them hinged or removable, having them fixed mounted just doesn't make sense.

Comment

Same. I’ve never even thought about bringing it up, or removing to do what you’re doing. But good call, and I’ll follow suit, I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

'12 22ve was the same way with the same washers holding them down only it was the entire rear bench with removable partial corners. I removed the bolts/washers after the first season as having them bolted down meant I couldn't raise the floor on the water if needed.
            the corners were like sponges as well.

cleaning out the boat after each outing we would remove the rear seat and clean.
            z3 is the same way but haven't had a need yet to remove the washers. it's coming....
            2012 22ve.. RIP 4/17
            2014 Z3.. Surf away

Comment

Came up with a solution if you want to easily be able to take it out and clean it. Add a piece of HDPE to the back of the seat and cut the two holes together the same width as the hdpe. This will keep the seat from moving around but in order to keep it fully secure I would add another piece of hdpe that can be turned underneath in the storage compartment to keep it in place.
              These pictures probably clear up my brainstorming. Seems like a lot of work but if it bothers you would be a decent solution to make it a bit easier to take out to dry.
              FA7D20C1-B459-4CF8-96FE-F3F703512436.jpeg
              886F7BB1-9920-4264-88CA-9AB627717CFA.jpeg

Comment

fwiw I just unbolted mine and left. never had an issue trailering to the launch ramp and one blowing out. did a couple hour long drives and no issues.

your mileage may vary
                2012 22ve.. RIP 4/17
                2014 Z3.. Surf away

Comment

Remove it cut the bolts off and install a pair of these in each seat base. Then you could easily remove it after every outing to air it out.

https://www.boatoutfitters.com/snap-...RoCyioQAvD_BwE

Comment

Mainly I think the issue is that there is nowhere for the water to go. So removing them probably won’t help much. I’m hoping that drilling all the holes will give the water a place to drain and then I won’t have to remove the cushions very often.

Comment

I remove almost all my seats after each outing to prevent the vinyl staining, doesnt take long for white vinyl to take on a permenant stain on the sides if not removed and wiped down. My seats all have about 3/4" holes in the bottom with a plastic "plug" that is vented to allow water to drain/foam to breathe tho I have not had issues with the foam soaking up water like you are talking about. Mine are not bolted down and I have never had any issue with them coming loose or blowing out and I trailer everywhere...I also put some thin SeaDeck under the the corner seats so when at dock I remove the corner seat closest to dock so people can step into boat without stepping on the vinyl. I am pretty OCD about keeping the vinyl in good shape which is also why I installed a "step" into the center back seat so riders are also not stepping on vinyl when going to swim platform.
                      Attached Files

Comment

It would seem if they used a closed cell foam, it would not allow the water to soak into them like a sponge (open cell foam). Aren't most boats seats made with a closed cell foam so that soaking up water should be really difficult?
                        Be excellent to one another.

Comment

Originally posted by talltigeguy View Post
                          It would seem if they used a closed cell foam, it would not allow the water to soak into them like a sponge (open cell foam). Aren't most boats seats made with a closed cell foam so that soaking up water should be really difficult?
                          Would closed cell be like Great Stuff?

Comment

I have never seen closed cell foam used, it’s significantly more money.

Comment

Working...
                            X