Dual battery setup and fuel filter question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dual battery setup and fuel filter question

What’s up guys. I’m a new Tige owner of 2000 21V. The previous owner installed a 2nd battery along with a battery selector switch. My question is what’s the need for a second battery beyond having a bad *** stereo system.

Second question. I have the mercrusier magnum engine. Is the fuel filter a standard filter for those engines? Been having issues with the engine being sluggish and then shutting down after about 30 minutes of riding. After shutting down it takes a minute for the engine to start. I have plenty of battery power and spark. Appears no fuel is getting in. Have no issues after starting to idle but can’t ride very far if I throttle past idle. Haven’t changed the fuel filter and I believe that fuel filter is the culprit.

I’ve read several posts about vapor lock but not sure if that’s the issue. Still preforming checks and changing fluids and the normal things. Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.

Will be changing the interior and the carpet soon. Thinking of doing some type of foam floor instead of carpet. Any suggestions or photos of interior or flooring would be cool.

Thanks

Adjustments.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wired correctly the idea of a second battery is to isolate one battery for starting only. The other battery becomes your “house” battery and has everything else running off of it. The switch would have starter battery hooked to one post, the house battery hooked to the other and the starter and all your accessories (stereo, lighting, etc...) would go to a distribution block that is hooked to the common post. The switch then can be changed to select whichever battery you want running the load. The one exception is your bilge pump should be hard wired to the house battery so it can go on regardless of switch position.
    That way you can play the stereo or use lights with the engine off without fear of killing your battery and not being able to start the boat.
    I’m not familiar with your specific engine so I can’t be of help on your issue there but agree it sounds like it’s fuel related, either a pump or filter.

Comment

Regardless of boat size and use, im a huge proponent for a dual bank setup. Most important function, is allowing the ability to have a fresh battery in reserve, to refire the engine. Even with a not so "badass" stereo, if you drop anchor and play a stereo, run lights, etc, its a good idea to have that dual bank setup.
      Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Id be curious to see how they wired the additional battery and switch in. If done correctly you should be good to go and like Chpthril said will like having the security of the second battery. If they didn't do it right then you'll need to get that corrected.

You should have a screw on fuel filter on the side of the engine I believe (slightly different engine than mine was). Might be under a plastic cover that slides off. Post some pics of the engine if you cant find it so we can point it out to you. If they haven't changed filter recently Id change the impeller out too just as a precaution before that becomes an issue.

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys. Will be checking on the wiring configuration and the fuel filter this week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
          X