Transmission removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Transmission removal

I have to remove the transmission on my ‘14 RZR. How difficult is this process for a competent mechanic?

Not bad after you get all the Aphostry out but it’s fairly straight forward.
    surf till u die.

Comment

It looks simple enough, but I have always read a heard about "shaft alignment". If the engine stays mounted, will that be a problem?

Comment

It should stay fairly aligned, but I would double check it once you get it back together. Pretty easy to do just takes some time to do it shifting it back and forth a little at a time. There are some pretty good YouTube videos on how to do it.

Comment

Not sure how your engine is mounted, but my PCM EX343 is aligned by adjusting the two read engine mounts and the two front transmission mounts. In other words, the engine and transmission work as a unit during alignment (which makes sense if you think about the fact that the transmission is what connects to the propeller shaft). The center (front engine) mounts are adjusted last, after alignment has been achieved.

Due to this, I would not presume that alignment will be preserved through a transmission removal/reinstallation. That said, Ruger761 is correct - there's no shortage of advice online about how to handle alignment. I'd study those first before removal in case you learn something useful to know before you start.

Report back!

Comment

Yep ID your correct forgot the front mounts are the trans mounts. Still not too bad to do. If your able to pull the trans yourself you can handle the alignment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Biggest thing is figuring out your over head lift/cribbing the engine up in the bilge so you can bring the trans out. In theory if your alignment was good and you dont money with the motor mounts besides where they are bolted to the stringers or trans then it shouldnt be changed when you re assemble.

Comment

Thanks for the input.

Comment

My 2015 Z3 is being replaced right now 8 hour job from the dealer at $129 and hour. I thought about doing it myself but for 1k Ill save myself the hassle. 1k is a lot but not having over head lifting capabilities was the deciding factor for me.

Comment

Konaking why are you having to replace your trans on a 4 year old boat?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Kylemac70 View Post
                      Konaking why are you having to replace your trans on a 4 year old boat?
                      I can't speak for him, but my transmission was replaced at the end of our first year (fully warranted). Infant mortality happens.

Comment

I am not replacing it. Sadly, I was using a small diameter piece of tube attached to a TIG rod with a couple of small pieces of shrink-wrap tape to hold it straight to remove as much of the old fluid as possible. One of the pieces of tape remained stuck in the case. I think, but not sure. I've got a "rare" ZF41, I can't risk destroying it. The ZF 41 is basically a PCM IRM 40. It makes sense since that is the year Tige switched from PCM to Indmar. They must of had some inventory left over. I need to open it up to remove that tiny piece of plastic tape. Talk about pissing me off.

Comment

That sucks man! I think I’d put a good amount of time into trying to suck it out somehow before I ripped it out of the boat.
                          Either way good luck man!

Comment

Believe me, it will be the last resort. You just can’t access or even see down the hole while it’s in place.

Comment

That hole is more than just a dipstick hole, right? Could you use a borescope to get past the awkward viewing angle? Harbor Freight sells a pretty cheap one... might be worth it to see if it's visible and accessible with one of those little olive-grabber tools before ripping it out and possibly tearing it down.

Comment

Working...
                              X