Tige Touch Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tige Touch Problems

After being told today i need a new Touch 2 screen for 2k in a 2015 Z3 with 250 hours i began to remember/wonder how many threads there has been and how many people have issues with them. is it a big problem or just a select few. So lets hear it, have you had a problem with your touch screen.

2k seems a little excessive for a touch screen that only last a handful of years.

Maybe Im just bitter right now.

Originally posted by KonaKing View Post
    After being told today i need a new Touch 2 screen for 2k in a 2015 Z3 with 250 hours i began to remember/wonder how many threads there has been and how many people have issues with them. is it a big problem or just a select few. So lets hear it, have you had a problem with your touch screen.

2k seems a little excessive for a touch screen that only last a handful of years.

Maybe Im just bitter right now.
    $2k item on a $120k boat. Are you the original owner? If so, the screen should still be covered. They had a 5 year warranty on them in 15.
    Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by KoolAid View Post
      $2k item on a $120k boat. Are you the original owner? If so, the screen should still be covered. They had a 5 year warranty on them in 15.
      on a related note...is the new warranty shorter? if is it possible to go ahead and buy a replacement now, on assumption it's going to fail before other warranty items are up (ie new boat time)? (i have an '18)

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

Still 5 year warranty on new ones

Comment

My '14 has suddenly delaminated but currently still works. It began in August and in about two weeks a 1/4"-3/8" ring worked its way around the entire screen. This has always been my biggest worry with these touchscreen boats. So what happens in another 5 years when it happens again, and no longer available? The boat will be worthless. I want to learn how to repair the malfunctioning screens, I believe that will be a valuable service in the future. Before you discard your old screen, please contact me.

Comment

Check your inbox Brianrzr
            Oh Yeah!

Comment

Mine has delaminated twice and the third is doing it again. First two were under warrantly fingers crossed this one lasts and lasts. The logic of $2000 on $120,000 item is so flawed. The mark up on these things is so huge. A basic tablet could run my boat and they are cheap.

Comment

Originally posted by KoolAid View Post
                They are telling me 3 years on the warranty and if i follow your logic on 120K bost it would be ok to charge $100 for a nut and bolt on it.
                Last edited by KonaKing; 09-26-2019, 01:45 PM.

Comment

Hopefully screen technology has improved since 2015. Does anyone know if it has?

I would bet keeping your boat out of the extreme elements would be the biggest favor to the screen.

Ive also thought about buying a replacement now for fear if it goes out years down the road there are no replacements available but there will have to be a solution out there. Not that it will be cheap.

Comment

Originally posted by KonaKing View Post
                    They are telling me 3 years on the warranty and if i follow your logic on 120K bost it would be ok to charge $100 for a nut and bolt on it.
                    Bad example considering the nut and bolt is not custom made for the application like the touch screen was. The cost of the screen is a very small percentage of the initial cost of the boat. If you purchased a $35k car 5 years ago and the screen failed, yes, $2k is over the top for its screen. $2k for a screen in a $120k boat, not so much.

I understand $2k is a lot of coin. Based on the price of the toy, not so crazy in price for the part. Shoot me a message with your contact info. I would like to find out who the servicing dealership is so I can help you out.
                    Oh Yeah!

Comment

No worries, thanks

Comment

thinking out loud??? What makes the Tige' touch screen so expensive?
                        More importantly...unique? is it the size?

Shouldnt any touch screen that can be plugged in to the available wiring work...after all it is truely just a touch screen projection that is sending info back tot he computer?

or is it the computer???

Comment

Originally posted by MJO21 View Post
                          thinking out loud??? What makes the Tige' touch screen so expensive?
                          More importantly...unique? is it the size?

Shouldnt any touch screen that can be plugged in to the available wiring work...after all it is truely just a touch screen projection that is sending info back tot he computer?

or is it the computer???
                          Economy of scale. No, a touch screen would not work plugged into the system. It is a computer, screen and touch layer like a tablet but less than 3,00 are made each year. Remember a lot of the cost is the software development time they are trying to recoup. These are not cars where 100k+ units are made every year. Cost is high to develop tech like this on a small scale and have it look and perform like the automotive standard.
                          Oh Yeah!

Comment

So in the whole set up...is the computer shot too or just the screen?

If it is just the screen how they not be adapted to a new screen only?
                            This would save on cost to the company and I would think especially to their consumer.

case in point. my iPhone is a computer with a touch screen. when my screen goes out I do not replace my whole $800 phone. Only the $200 screen. And I have many after market screens to choose from. I know there is a large difference in number of phones produces compared to number of Tige Touches but.... again/... why replace the computer IF the screen is the only issue?

I am not an electronics guy not will I claim to be! just asking.
                            Last edited by MJO21; 10-01-2019, 08:17 PM.

Comment

I would agree with you MJ. As a guy who sells electronics for a living, you can get bad *** weather rated touch screens with outdoor brightness for far far far less then 2000 dollars. The issue is that these screens we are discussing here are “marine rated” all in one computers, as opposed to a screen and a sealed compute module. Having never owned a boat with a screen, I’ll say it scares me to death to get into one for this reason.

My counter argument to you KoolAid (and I’ll caveat with you are amazing, and basically always right) is that in a 100 thousand dollar boat, a little bit of thought into the design of the machine would suggest that using a 500 dollar screen from a tough book or comparable military grade device, and. 1500 dollar sealed compute module would be far better for us the consumer, and Tiges reputation.

But.

The boat world is full of purpose built components used in hundreds of boat models across many manufacturers, like this screen here. So. Such is life. A good idea and 50 million bucks and we could try our hand at a boat company! (And probably go broke)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X