need help with a Tige Taps3 install on a 2013 Z3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

need help with a Tige Taps3 install on a 2013 Z3

I have some plates off a 2019 that im retro-fitting on an older Z3. Can someone with Taps 3 boat take a couple measurements of the plate location from the edges of the boat and also the fully extended angle of the tabs.

Thanks

I’d mount them inboard of the outside edge about 4”. I’d mount the actuator where ever needed to get the tabs out of the water as high as possible. That more important than how far down they travel.

Comment

what untuck said is very important. 3-4" from the edge of the hull is perfect. I can't remember the necessary deployment angle off the top of my head, I'm sure someone might know or be able to go in dealer demo mode and check things out.

Comment

I think it’s more important to get them out of the water as much as possible. I have a 2019 R23 (same hull as Z3) and my plates make contact with the water when fully stowed! My wave doesn’t really change between setting 1-5, so more deployment doesn’t benefit me any, but having the surf side plate contacting the water isn’t good for the wave either. Just go look at pictures of the new GSA plates on a 2020 R23 and you will see how much higher the GSA plate is stowed!!!!!

Actually as I think about it. If I was you, I would install just 1 plate at first. Take it to the lake and test, test, test to get a good wave and then put the other plate on and see if the wave is affected any adding the second plate! I’d bet a beer the plate does affect the wave under some or maybe even all conditions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

thanks for the ideas, I'll try mounting them this weekend and post up some pics.

Comment

IMG_2114.jpgIMG_2115.jpg

Comment

IMG_2120.jpgIMG_2121.jpg
              Last edited by tunafoot; 09-22-2019, 12:53 AM.

Comment

Option A.jpgOption B.jpgOption C.jpg

Where is the best mounting location for the actuators?

Comment

Option B just because that’s the factory position. Maybe just slightly higher than what you have it now to get the full out of the water retraction.
                  799A742A-3786-4833-A7BB-B5CE61285819.jpg
                  F2CFB32C-81EE-4BFE-B096-FE14FB4C82DA.jpg

Comment

IMG_2127.jpg

Comment

Option C might be the only location that could work. I wasnt able to obtain the new fancy swivel mounts when I bought the plates. I only have the plastic Lenco mounts. Every location on the transom looks like it will bind the actuator. Option C has its own issues though... not sure if whats in the platform at that location will hold a screw and how do i seal up the hole that the wire goes thru in the transom.

Comment

My 21v transom looked like that when I was trying to find a good mounting location for the actuators. Can you purchase the correct mounts for the z3 from Tige?

Comment

Tige wont sell them, I tried one of the dealers that's not opposed to helping you retrofit an older Tige and they cant get them either.

Comment

IMG_2128.jpg

I ended up trying "Option A." I split the difference between the retracted and extended positions and used rubber spacers to leave some play in it. It seems to extend and retract without binding so hopefully I wont have any issues with it.

IMG_2131.jpgIMG_2132.jpg
                            Last edited by tunafoot; 09-23-2019, 01:38 AM.

Comment

IMG_2135.jpgIMG_2133.jpg.

Both sides retract nice and flush. I had to grind out about 1/8 of an inch off the brackets on both sides so the plates weren't touching the brackets.

Comment

Working...
                              X