2002 20v running weird

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2002 20v running weird

We were surfing and boat started bogging. We stopped to return to the guy in the water, pulled him up and all was good for a couple of minutes then it started bogging again.

We suspected bad gas so added some 93 and a can of Seafoam and took it out for a drive. It was fine for 3-4 minutes then started bogging again. We let it idle for a few minutes and then accelerated to 20mph then after 1 minute the symptoms returned.

If we let it idle for a few minutes it will then run fine for about a minute then it starts bogging again.

These symptoms only happen under load and it doesn’t matter if we are going 8mph or WOT.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Fuel pressure or fuel volume is my initial guess. So fuel filter or fuel pump. Swap filter and check fuel pressure.
    Oh Yeah!

Comment

This is a Merc 350 MPI Tow Sports motor. Do they have a fuel/water separator plus a fuel filter?

Comment

Yep, you should have both. There's an inline fuel filter that's a small (probably silver color) canister on the fuel line somewhere between the tank and the low pressure fuel pump. Follow your fuel line away from the tank and you'll find it. The fuel/water separator is port side, rear near low pressure fuel pump.

When changing the fuel/water separator I recommend putting a gallon size ziploc bag under/around the filter while your taking it off so you can catch all the gas and see if there's any water in the gas.

Comment

Originally posted by Powday View Post
          Yep, you should have both. There's an inline fuel filter that's a small (probably silver color) canister on the fuel line somewhere between the tank and the low pressure fuel pump. Follow your fuel line away from the tank and you'll find it. The fuel/water separator is port side, rear near low pressure fuel pump.

When changing the fuel/water separator I recommend putting a gallon size ziploc bag under/around the filter while your taking it off so you can catch all the gas and see if there's any water in the gas.

Thank you for responding. According to the Tige dealer I spoke with there is only one and it is the cartridge type.

Comment

Originally posted by fejjj View Post
            Thank you for responding. According to the Tige dealer I spoke with there is only one and it is the cartridge type.
            I am so confused! Trying to find a definitive answer as to which water fuel separator I need has been difficult. There is no clear information on the web and after reading the post above I am thinking maybe the Tige dealer was wrong. Does anyone know for sure which water fuel separator I need? Also, fuel filter?

Comment

Enter your engine serial # on this site and you should be able to locate the part # you need.
              https://www.perfprotech.com/mercury-.../04/mercruiser
              Mike Allen, Tigé owner since 1997

Comment

Working...
              X